Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Make Hemp Oil Cheap and Easy!

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by ThePhantom, Aug 25, 2010.

1. I have not tried Shonas method, but check out my hemp oil thread if you are interested, it helps with my bowel issues it might help you :smoke:

2. Yes...shona's method does not work. I made the oil the Rick Simpson way...albeit with a very small amount of flower...but his way WORKS...her way...nonsense. Sorry to say...I even read her book...I use the term loosely (book...lol) I am glad it worked for her..but I had no such luck and wasted some cash.

3. Can you link your thread please?

4. Very interesting! Thanks for sharing, this looks doable. I might have to give this a try.

I thought it sounded too good to be true. Still, I'm curious how she was able to get anything to accumulate on the dome of her vaporizer. Is supposed to be simple? I read her book too. I commend her for raising Crohn's awareness and advocating medical marijuana, but I was hoping to find instructions rather than a journal. You can make Simpson oil with a small amount? That I didn't know.

5. You can make it with any amount of flower, I have been using 3-5gs at a time until I can get a larger amount. Just make sure it is just covered with your solvent (iso in my case), and then some.

The other day I took a bunch of kief I had saved up and forgot about, and made a little ball of hash (for vaping this time). I only got about 0.5g ball, but its been keeping me going.

6. Would 3 grams produce 3 (grain of rice sized) doses? 1 dose per gram was essentially what I was hoping to get out of Shona Banda's method.

7. I got quite a few grain sized pieces from the ball that is in my thread about hemp oil. I wrote down how much it weighed somewhere, I'll check it out and get back to you, then you will know the (somewhat) exact ratios.

8. Thanks a million, I really appreciate your help. I'll be trying this method the next time I have a flare (or sooner if my curiosity gets the better of me).

9. #90 Asthmatic, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2012
    If it didn't work chances are the condenser wasn't cool enough or the condensates didn't form where they were expected to form if at all. Video looked suspicious the output should not have been that green brown color from a vaporizer, should have been more of a gold or amber similar to BHO. (Butane Hash Oil)

The bigger issue is that the unburned plant debris is used by many as input to solvent extraction. Of course if she combusted and condensed the material that could support the bad color and would cause some nasty flavors too. I think I saw smoke inside the vaporizer.

I've been talking about getting a proper essential oil still over on PaulKemp420's thread. It is not that far from what she is doing even if she is doing something she doesn't know she is doing to cool her condenser in the right place to recover her oil.

If you setup a large capacity vaporizer with an inert gas atmosphere CO2 should work to prevent the combustion of your plant material you could use a remote condenser to pick out Cannabinoids & Terpins one at a time by carefully controlling the condensing temperatures or at least do a really complete whole plant extraction without solvent. It is unclear just how you would have to design the condenser to get what you want. The essential oils will thin the rest of the plant resins. How thin they get will depend in part on how much of the waxes evaporate with the oils. I keep trying to think of a way to make this work the way I want it to without hurting my self. Still sounds expensive to do not counting development cost. To be profitable you might have to scale up to hundreds of acres of botanical input.

It should also be possible to do a steam extraction if you wanted to operate a boiler at the right pressure to get the temperature up to about 500 Deg. F. I don't.

I think I'll stick with solvent extraction for now and may add a low temperature essential oil steam extraction still next year around tax refund time. I already know how to recombine the two products once I have them both in my hands.

10. Thanks for all the info! It's a lot for a newbie like myself to take in. So it seems this vaporizer method of making oil isn't as simple as it was advertised, that doesn't really come as a shock. The VERY little oil I was able to collect from my vape dome was amber, not green at all.

Is there something undesirable about solvent extraction? So far Paulkemp420's method seems like the most newbie friendly process to me.

11. #92 Asthmatic, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2012
    The biggest issue is getting all the Cannabinoids and Terpins we can get, they all work together to create a complete medicine. Most of us doing solvent extraction are loosing everything that boils below the boiling temperature of the solvent we are using. If there is any water in your Botanical source or solvent that means 220 Deg. F. or 100 Deg. C. +/- depending on elevation and barometric pressure unless you have a plan to remove the water without boiling it away.

http://forum.grasscity.com/medical-...s-turpinoids-cannabiniods-found-cannabis.html

It is also possible to kill your self doing solvent extraction if you don't obey the rules involving adequate ventilation and sources of ignition.

For those of us who do do solvent extraction the choice of solvent is an issue. You never really get all of the solvent out of the medicine so if your making an edible medicine most of us want the solvent to be food grade. I like Ethanol (ETOH) aka Booze my self because it is very forgiving if I make a mistake and drink a little. PaulKemp420's method is +/- where I started too but I ran into issues with overcooking and ruining batches of medicine. There are also flavor issues with extracting all the plant tannins if your planning on making an edible medicine so I go to a bit more work so my Asthma medicine will taste better. Some people like Isopropal because it is cheaper and I suppose the little bit left behind is small enough to not really be a problem but I taste the output of my still to know when to quit cooking and with Isopropal that would be a no no. There is a way to do extraction with vitamin C that I've not tried yet but will try someday.

http://forum.grasscity.com/incredib...ash-candy-canna-bombs-more-6.html#post9656344

The last big issue is cooking time. Some of what we want to keep will sublimate or evaporate without boiling. Heat accelerates the speed that these terpins sublimate at, and the longer we keep the temperature elevated the more good stuff we lose as we're getting rid of the stuff we don't want.

I object to butane because it is a green house gas and a petroleum related product it is also expensive and explosive not that any other solvent can not also be explosive in the right concentration. The plus side of that is that it boils at a very low temperature does not pick up plant tannins or chlorophyll so it makes a very complete +/- clean extraction if you ignore the little bit of solvent left behind in the medicine. Many of the rest of the solvents used are petroleum products and many of us object to consuming petroleum products as part of out medicine.

Does that help?

12. That helps a lot! Thanks! I really need to learn this stuff before I start experimenting with something I plan to eat, you just saved me a ton of time. Beyond that, you pointed some serious safety issues that I was unaware of. Because I have digestive issues I have to be careful of what I ingest. A small amount of solvent that wouldn’t hurt most people might hurt me (I didn’t know that it doesn’t fully evaporate). So again, thanks for bringing that to my attention.

I hope you don’t mind me asking more questions...

What do you use as your source of ethanol? That seems like the safest option from a health viewpoint. Does “cooking time” refer to the time spent waiting for the solvent to evaporate?

Thanks again for your help.

13. I'm here to help you get started though you need to find your own best path.
    I buy my ETOH at the liquor store. I keep 2 Gal. on hand for medicine making and loose about 1/5 of a gallon every time I make medicine.

http://forum.grasscity.com/blogs/asthmatic/r-x/