Anyone ever use the Home Depot 5 Gallon Orange Bucket?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by justmeagain, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Anyone ever use the Home Depot 5 Gallon Orange Bucket?

Pros & Cons :smoking:

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Nope because I goto Lowes :smoking::devious::smoking:

But yeah there great the same as the lowes buckets just a different color, & you can get a pretty large plant out of the 5 gallons just drill some holes in the bottom so the plants can drain,
    the only bad thing is they take up alot of space if space is an issue for you

3. So can you give the bottom and top dimensions :)

Right now space might not be a problem.

I am going after a larger indoor plant and plan on hitting them with 1000 HPS :) :smoking:

4. I use them. Drill some holes in the bottom and I covered mine with black plastic because light kills roots.

5. I`m using 3 gallon pots now and was thinking of switching to 5 gallon buckets for my next grow but the issue I have is where I can find a tray to collect the excess water run off from each plant that isnt to big.

6. Used about 20 of them for curing last outdoor season lol. They work awesome for that.

You can also use aluminum tape to cover the buckets to keep light off the roots.

SS

7. Get two buckets per plant. Drill holes in the bottom of one bucket, then put that inside the other bucket which will collect the runoff.

8. I don't understand the necessity to use these buckets. They are $2.50 each, for another dollar you can get a 5 gallon planter that was designed for growing plants. No need to drill holes or wrap anything with foil. For about the same price you can have the right equipment.

9. Your 100% correct about the right equipment, but when someone wants to give you free buckets :hello: :smoking:

10. 2.50 for a orange home depot bucket. fuck that we get em for 97 cents here in the pacfific north weest

11. Yup!!
    I get em for a 1$ a piece from lowes and home depot.
    Located in Northwest WA :)

12. I live in Sacramento area and here they are $2.50 at Home Depot and a little more for silver ones at Lowes. Around here a 5 gallon plastic plant pot is about $6.00 at Lowes and Home Depot so the 5 gallon painters buckets are cheaper. For $6.00 each you can get air pots that use air to trim the roots at the bottom.

13. I use 5 gallon Lowes buckets and purchased clear catch trays(10" I think) in their gardening department. Just have to look around a little. The buckets fit almost perfectly in the bottom but it's worked well so far.

14. I'm using one of those big 20 gallon deals from Walmart with the rope handles. I think it cost me $16. I don't have any holes in the bottom of mine. You could probably put 3-4 plants in one of them. I have 2 in mine.

15. I use extra-large plastic kitty litter bins, they hold about 5 gal as well. And since I own a cat, they're free! Since they are rectangular they better utilize a small space (round containers leave empty space in between).

16. Cool idea, i know someone who uses the kitty litter bins too, I will have to see if I can snag a few of them for free :) :smoking:

17. I was thinking about doing this, but than how are you supposed to drain all of your runoff water from inside the other bucket??

18. I Personally love the Home depot pots, grow 6 plants in a small area with tons of bush with them, The 2 pots stacked on top 1 with holes other without makes for an awesome drainage system. GL with them gonna get some big mommas with 5 gallons.

19. But how about when the lower pot gets full of drainage, how are you supposed to empty it without pickingup the plants

20. Catching the runoff: For the big containers, I have used the plastic trays you can buy to use under a washing machine for 'accidents', as well as the big black tray that lines my dog crate...Also, save the clear plastic covers that cover some deli or bakery items (and those make great high-top greenhouses for germination) also, you know that u can go to the big two hardware choices, or Walmarts , and get the big circular catch pans. Use your imagination...bet there is a lot of stuff right in your home you can use for catching the used water.