yellow leaves on 2 week old sprout pic..

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by jason1901, Jul 24, 2010.

1. #21 Antigen, Jul 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2010
    Yeah that height sounds OK for two weeks. Remember the first month or so is "seedling phase" and it won't grow a whole lot up top just yet.

With regards to the soil, you really should not use top soil, you need potting soil. Top soil won't drain well enough (especially mixed with peat moss). I would transplant them into the Fox Farm Ocean Forest asap, there's no reason to leave them in that other soil. They should be taking some nutes from the soil during the seedling phase. That is why you don't need to use nutes when it is small, because it has enough in the cotyledons and the soil for a while. Every strain is different, it will not be 3 weeks exactly for every strain. Some may want nutes earlier, some later. I don't see any problems with transplanting them into the Fox Farm now, at least they will have better drainage then. And you don't need to add any peat moss to the FFOF, you can add some Dolomite Lime to help stabilize your pH levels and some extra perlite to help it drain better.

You just want to avoid potting soils that have a lot of nutes already in them or that have time-release fertilizers. If you get a good organic potting soil it should have around the right amount of nutes for seedlings. I also avoid any soil made by Miracle Gro, although that is somewhat of a personal prejudice, their soils are not THAT bad. They just seem to ALWAYS have a lot of fungus gnats in them and most of them have time-release fertilizers.

And when you say it does come out the drainholes, are you sure it is not just running down the side of the cup in between the cup and the soil? Sometimes the soil ball can get really hard and then water runs around it instead of through it. :p

2. #22 jason1901, Jul 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2010

yeah I did not want nothing to do with miracle grow especially since Im a noob and did not want to add any problems.

it comes out the drain holes I made, there are 8 holes in a 10'' tall taco bell cup, and I squeeze the cup a bit every now and then to create soil movement for air.
    how would I know if it running down the inside of cup like u said around the soil ball and not through ?

here it is today, Im gonna transplant the earliest on tues in 2 gal pot and fox farm ocean forest soil. I just brought it inside because of a storm coming.

curious if this extreme heat of 100+ degrees this summers heat wave on the east coast effects MJ plants in any way to cause yellowing?

Picture 002.jpg

Picture 001.jpg

Picture 003.jpg

what about flowering nutes or alternatives like mollasaes for during flowering stage ?

thanks bro...
    :smoking:

3. That sounds excellent, the sooner you can transplant it into the ocean forest, the better. And to know if it is running down the sides or not, sometimes I will pour it really slowly right near the stem and let the water pool but not reach the edge of the container. I only pour enough so that it stays near the stem and then it has no choice but to soak down through the soil. ;) After it has done that I then water the rest of it normally so that all the soil gets some water. If you are squeezing the cup gently though that should keep the soil from compacting, I think how you are watering is fine.

I don't think that heat would cause the plant to yellow, although stress of any kind can cause it to make a yellow/brown leaf or two. Too much heat usually makes plants sort of wilt like they are underwatered, or may cause the edges/tips of the leaves to burn. I think it would have to get to like 110+ degrees F to hurt a plant that was used to being outside in the heat, though.

As for flowering nutes, you won't need them too soon yet, but when you do, just get something that is the "Bloom" fertilizer of any line. I use Earth Juice Bloom, and have used General Hydroponics FloraBloom. Many people use Fox Farm's Big Bloom and Tiger Bloom together and they like it a lot.

4. you mean like mine smetimes the leaves go from say your arms are spread out like an airplane, and then they stretch up like their kicking a field goal... heat stress related ?were into our 6th heat wave since I been growing.

is one veg nute and the other a flower nute, I think Im only gonna nute it during flowering...?

:wave:

5. No, I mean they wilt like the leaves droop downwards a bit, like how they look when underwatered. If your leaves are sticking straight out or pointing upwards a bit that is how they should look. :)

Big Bloom & Tiger Bloom are both flowering nutes, meant to be used together during the flowering phase. Fox Farm's veg nute is called Big Grow.

6. #26 jason1901, Jul 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2010

I just transplanted in fox farm ocean forest , but its not looking as green or as good as it did a few days ago, with the pics hopefully you will tell its from no nutes and only watering. how long after transplant do you think it will get its green color back and look healthier, now that its got nutes?

you can see in the pics its not a true green color, and the tips are crunchy,yellow and dry on a few leaves... is that what the watering does to it when their is no nutes ? it kind of eats itself for nutes?

17 days old...
    Picture 005.jpg

Picture 007.jpg

Attached Files:

7. They do look a bit sickly, don't they? The way they are getting crispy and drooping could be due to heat stress. Watering would not have done that to them, I don't think.

I think that if you give them 3-5 days in the Ocean Forest they will rebound quite nicely. It looks like you watered them in good when you transplanted. With tiny clones like those, you should not have to water a 2 gallon container again for at least a week, if not more. If your temps are really high that will cause it to evaporate faster, but just make sure you don't overwater them. It's much easier to cure underwatering than overwatering. ;)

I just watered my clones I transplanted and looking at my grow log, it had been 16 days since I gave them water when I transplanted them. They still were not even looking droopy or anything, I just watered because the pots felt light.

Your little plants also probably won't need any fertilizer for 2 weeks or so now, because the new Ocean Forest soil is going to give them much of what they need. Just make sure you are giving them good pH 6.5 water if they get too dry. If they don't start turning greener in 3-5 days, repost pictures again so we can see what is going on, but I think they are going to rebound nicely now. :D
    Did you get a look at the root systems when you were transplanting? Did your roots look nice and healthy and white (except for the dirt stuck to them of course)?

8. man that looks alot like root rot

9. #29 jason1901, Jul 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2010
    now Im confused because I thought MJ plants love the sun, so how is it possible to alleviate heat stress?

the roots looked good when I saw them during transplant, and it seems a bit more greener already.

root rot I hope not! its been in top soil and peat moss up until now.

between the heat waves here on the east coast and figuring out when to water is getting ridiculous, Ive been saying it looks like heat stress, now I hear root rot, I guess its hard to tell exactly from pics, but............IDK
    :eek:

10. wow. its hard to tell in the pic but it looks like the stem is super skinny. is the stem thicker at the top than it is at the base of the soil? thats what it looks like in the pic to me unless its just an illusion. thats def a root rot thing if so.

11. #31 jason1901, Jul 28, 2010

no, the stem is the same thickness from top to bottom, its skinny its only 17 days old.
    the stem is the same as its been even when it looked greener, view pics on page 2 of this thread and you can see.

12. idk then man. im still leaning towards the root rot. i hate peat.

13. alright thanks, I guess all I can do is watch it see if it gets better with the nutes I transplanted in.

what about heat stress, how can you tell? what can be done if that is the cause?

World Of Seeds: afghan kush ryder strain if that helps

14. idk man. im new to growing too. of my first grow i only have one plant that is still alive. my second grow is doing great. my first grow i had issues like you are having now. i started with 30 or so plants. most of which died at around two weeks and loooked alot like yours do know. im not saying that to scare you, im just saying that ive been there. i had 4 great plants from the first grow and two of them turned out to be male so i chopped them up. one of the two i had left wasnt growing any more after about a month of growth. i decided to cut the top off and turn it into a clone. bad idea. it didnt root and it died. the last plant is doing great now. things i started doing were to change my soil recipe. i cut the preadded nute soil and started using soil that didnt have any nutes. i also started measuring my pH and had proper light for all my plants. i have that one plant left and 4 other plants going aswell as 7 clones that are all doing great. i have that one plant from the first grow and one from my new grow that are flowering and will be ready for harvest in 3 to 5 weeks you really shouldnt be having your plants outside untill they are established especially in this heat. oh and i also started making sure that the temps and humidity were right for the plants too.

15. I didnt know u were new at growing because u type alot of info in your posts , Im confident it wont die or is dying, listen to ANTIGEN, he knows whats up!
    :smoking:

16. #36 jason1901, Jul 28, 2010

I brought it inside and have it under a cfl bulb, going to leave it indoors for a few days or so, then put it back in the sun, Ive seen pics of heat stress and desciptions of it and heat stress looks just like nute burn, and thats how my plant looks. I dont understand in other posts in the begining I was told to "get that baby outside in the sun''
    I dont see any other way to correct heat stress, besides bringing it inside out of the sun!

17. Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 008.jpg

:confused:

Attached Files:

18. someone help

19. If your going to be putting it outside you need to slowly acclimate it. I started puting my clones outside for a couple of hours for a few days in the shade but mine were about 12 inches tall and only 70 degrees outside when I did it. I took about two weeks acclimating mine slowly going from the shade to direct sunlight now they are around four feet tall and in the ground. That small I would start with maybe an hour outside in the shade starting mid morning and keep an eye on them.

20. thanks bro, but its not a clone I started from seed.
    its already been outside for 2 weeks, I brought it inside 2 days ago, getting sun through the window, I dont know what else to do. if I should start aclimating it all over again or what.