When should I start 24 hour dark cycle

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by jabajaba, Jul 21, 2010.

1. The criticism cuts both ways -- can anyone produce studies that show that extended dark at the end makes no difference? Maybe the old wive's tale is that it doesn't work.

The reality is that there are very few published studies of any kind on MJ growing techniques, not exactly a lot of government funding going around for that.

To the OP, I would give about 3 days dark at the very end, I usually do that and it works well for me.

2. Burden of proof - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How it works is that when you state a claim (giving a long dark period before harvest = more trichomes), the burden of proof is on YOU. Before someone made that claim, nobody thought the opposite. The position of "don't put plants in the dark for 3 days before you harvest them" never existed without the proposition that you SHOULD do so for some reason.

This is the same reason why nobody needs to prove that god (or the flying spaghetti monster, or the magical unicorn in my garage) DOESN'T exist. Non-existence is not a position; it is the baseline assumption for all things without proof. Anything else would be completely irrational, and therefore rather useless.

3. Did they do this experiment with genetic clones, and have a control to compare against? Otherwise this sounds like a wives tale. On another note, I heard if you play Stairway to Heaven on repeat for the last 3 weeks of flowering it triples trichome production!

4. I am not going to start a religious debate, but that statement made me shake my head. Sorry, when speaking of god, the burden is on anyone to actually prove there is a god. Otherwise, the simplest explanation holds true, god is nothing but BS, and a way to control people by getting them to believe in the invisible man in the sky that see's all. Because I don't believe does not put the burden of proof on me to prove, since there has never been any proof of god being real to begin with.

Sorry, if one side is not proven to be correct, the other side does not take on the burden of proof just because they hold a different stance. So along these lines, if the darkness period has never been proven to make a difference (I am not saying it is or isn't) , then those that believe the darkness does not benefit does not have to come up with proof, since the opposite opinion has not been proven either.

5. I've just harvested my auto onyx today and she was in the dark for 36hrs to produce resin as i heard some facts n info on here n there etc and well it worked lots of the colaxes have got very very frosty and the whole budz looks sticky as fook, so anyway i'd do this again...

Note she was in dark for 36hrs and was still in pot etc. she got chopped today

6. outa the pro/cons I dont see the cons

7. You seem to be disagreeing with a post that you agree with. I'm not really sure what you're saying.

8. i remember in the one article i read they took 10 clones from the same mother, grew them out exactly the same (lighting, nutes, etc) and 5 were harvested normally, and 5 were left in the dark for 4 days. the result they got was a noticeable but not drastic increase.

9. This is not about attempting to disprove the lack of existence of something. This is about two different theories about varying the plant's conditions and what reaction, if any, is caused by it. Neither theory is the lack of the other, each represents a set of conditions. The only way to test it is to try both, side by side, in large numbers, holding all other conditions equal.

Until and unless someone does that, proponents of neither side can stand with their arms crossed claiming that the other side has the burden to prove it.

10. #30 SrGrower, Jul 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2010
    Most the time when it comes to pot and new methods you can just search it by yahoo. If it was in cannabis culture it would be in an online acticle and would be found easy.
    Over the yrs of pot testing everything has been done and ALL methods are just Methods down to using Molassis in bloom. Some say it works some don't.
    In my 20 yrs growing I have added and tried few new things and letting my friends try the new ways to see them NOT work. I use Molassis and it adds what you want at bloom. If you want to get the most out dont trim the leaves off b4 drying, they have the sugar stored in them and the plant processes it as it dries like it would on it's last legs.
    Good luck and trying wont hurt it will still be good.

OH and drying in the dark does what you are trying also!! Thats what I do

I get 4-8 seeds every yr out of my 3-4 lbs. (2 plants) and they are 80% female the next yr. when I germinate them. I've had the same plant strain for 4 yrs and add a new one or two to mix it up.

http://www.420magazine.com/forums/budding-cycle/65588-24-hrs-dark-before-harvest-increase-resin.html

11. Heres the proof

12. #32 johard59, Jul 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2010
    Yes you are right, the dark period right before the chop does help the resin production. Some says 24 hours but also some says 2 - 4 days.. I usually make it 48 hours in my experience.

to answer your question though, is it depends on what kind of high you want. more cloudy for a more heady high, amber for more couchlock. id put it into dark when you see your trichs are the color you want them, they wont develop TOO much more during the dark period.

13. dude... did you just copy and paste my response?

14. Would it be okay to have the preflowering dark cycle be less than 24 hours? we were gonna try to go with 22 hours.

15. :laughing: still not a lick of proof...still waiting...

16. There is no need for it at all. Flip to 12/12 and you are good to go.

17. I hear ya. One guy says, Wow, I just did it and got many colaxes (his word, not mine), and all frosty, and that guy uses it as proof. Unless he meant it as a joke, but without a smiley or something, I think he is offering up colaxes as proof.

Well, you know, we don't get colaxes, so maybe we are missing something and indeed need to go with some dark cycles. :eek: :rolleyes: :smoke: