Tobacco Mosaic Virus (TMV) pics and info

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by joe_fresh, Jun 24, 2010.

1. well just by description i would say overfert....stunted growth, twisted and curled leaf tips....dont kinow about the holes though....

2. Rest of the plant looks healthy is the problem.

3. Can this virus cause stress to the plant, turning her into a hermie? I have a plant with a leaf that's curled to the side. It also has holes in a couple parts of the stems. I'm scared because this is my best plant, close to a meter tall.

4. This mosaic is nasty. It seems not to many people know about it in the United States. It's better known in Europe. I had a hard time finding out what it was. I mixed crushed crab shells into my soil. That knocked it out. As soon as I stopped using the crushed crab shells it came right back. I mix it in with all my soil now. Nice thread thanks for your work. Happy trails.

5. my buddy gave me some dieing clones, and only one pulled through. that one, has a few strange leaves where its like half of each blade doesn't form completely, and they curl around and appear bleached. as well as some other TMV traits.

but it still appears healthy. i was going to cut a bunch of clones, but now i gotta trash the whole bitch. i hope i havent already infected my flowering room. i'v been holding this infected plant for a month and a half. fuuuuuuuuck!

this is annoying as hell.

6. fucking thrips man, back in september i had a bout with those assholes, took a couple few dying plants, neem and hot shot nps to finally get rid of them. after finally getting that squared away, i went on my merry way taking my clones, shit i thought i was good no more bugs, time to get back on track. I started noticing that all the clones were having random distorted curled leaf tips, holes, even some crazy mottling of the leaves, thinking out of wack ph, fuck it dump and fresh solution. I dont give two shits who originally typed up the info, its great info, i had read this months ago and decided to give it another look about 2 or 3 weeks ago, and damn if it dont look like they took pics of my clones all the distorted blistered holey splotchy leaf shots ive had on the clones,i can definitely tell which plants are stressed, they show the worse signs. while ive managed to keep them "healthy" enough that they still provide a harvest, ive got 2 blue widows coming down in the next 2 weeks that look mostly fine, it always makes me wonder what i could yield with 100% healthy plants. in the next few weeks as the room clears out, its time for a good scrub down of EVERYTHING. haha the old lady is prepared for things to look like a war zone with all the stuff i have to move and scrub. at least with the scrub down i can get a fresh start and get everything ready to add a CO2 system, good to know if for some reason they invade again ill be prepared this time to gas them out.

7. #47 charlesCarnage, Oct 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2010
    So is this virus rare? Can plants be affected by cigarette smoke?

8. no this virus i would say affects about 10-20% of all MJ cuts and seeds, but it spreads easily and if not taken care of in a few years we could see this number rise to 40 or 50% or more who knows, its all about prevention and control as there is no "cure" for the plant other than killing it and disinfecting all the room and equipment.

and no cigarette smoke has no affect, but handleing dry tobacco can transmit the virus to your plants and such

9. That's good to know because I roll my own cigs to save money. Thanks for the quick reply dude.

10. I have 2 baby Blue Cheese baby plants. Seeds are from Barneys Farm and are feminized. I am really thinking both of them have tmv which I dont know how they could have got because both started from seed in brand new fox farm soil. 2 closeup pictures from one plant and one total shot of the other plant which has curled down leaves and same virus looks where the curling is. It is very interesting I have dealt with many bagseed and wild varieties and the only other time i seen this was about 10 years ago on the varietiy FLO which had tmv for sure. A while back I read the article WHO IS DR. FRANKENBEANSTIEN in TREATING YOURSELF magazine [issue 17 page 23] so almost didnt get these seeds cause im paranoid I guess but now I got the blue cheese and what do you know, problems again. Please look at my pictures thank you.

Attached Files:

11. #51 joe_fresh, Nov 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2010
    tmv can show up in seeds if breeders use mom and pop plants that have tmv it will be transferred to the offspring.

but

your plants do not have tmv, i can see just by looking at them, the leaf curl is a clear sign of too much N....and the yellowing leaves at the bottom would mean there is also a def going on....my best guess is that you have either given your plant too much nutes and there is the begining of a nute lock out, or there is a ph imbalence which is causing the same.

if your plants were not showing signs of over fert or ph imbalence, according to those leaves i would say there is a good chance, but in this case it could be a side effect of the problem at hand

either way flush your plants real good and let them dry out, then give pure water fora watering or 2, then go back to your reg fert schedule...GL

12. #52 Bonsai Bob, Nov 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2010
    Thank you for your input. I knew I had a ph problem but it was corrected and new growth is healthy and green. The closeup leaf pictures are from the other baby which is totally normal looking except for the rusted and yellow older leaves and not curled at all. If it was tmv would the spots change and progress or just stay the same? thank you

OK I can see why you said that everyone thinks thay have this once they read it but I edit to add another picture so you can see why concerned because the first 2 close-up pictures were from this one that looks fine.

Attached Files:

13. I've been beating myself up for the past 4 weeks trying to figure what i have been doing wrong.
    Joined this site today, first thread i click.
    Glad to know this is out of my hands, but still sad to see there's nothing i can do to save my plants.

Thanks for stealing that info and bringing it to this site Original Poster.

14. P1010010.JPG

P1010004.JPG

P1010008.JPG

P1010016.JPG

P1010005.JPG

P1010003.JPG

P1010006.jpg

P1010009.JPG

P1010011.JPG

I feel pretty confident this is TMV. This plant is 3 weeks into 12/12. started showing signs just before we went 12/12. Let me know if you agree. I saw somewhere earlier in this thread that no one has seen this virus during flower.

15. Joe, thanks for the great post, I was afraid my entire garden got infected with TMV via a clone I received from Cali that was infested with thrips. You very informative post confirmed my suspicions.

Getting a clone from a dispensary is like going down on a hooker, no matter how good it looks you just shouldn't do it.

One bit of information I learned, several years ago I was growing cucumbers and they ended up tasting like soap, just found out that is also caused by mosaic virus.

16. Thanks for the info! Unfortunately, these girls look like they have it too. :(
    Bout 6th week into veg started noticing little cuts out of the some leaves. Thought had been munched on by bugs but haven't found any. . . then saw some of the blistering and discoloring.

Attached Files:

17. Thought I would share this as well. 7 days from harvy. Looks like symptoms of tmv, feel free to use this image for future reference.

[​IMG]

18. Hey Joe - Great Thread Man - I may have missed this in the abundance of info - any suggestions on sterilizing the room before the next run, I usually use bleach / water and spray everything down. I think I am going to just toss the old pots and plastic on the ground.

Is there something special I need to sterilize with?

Thank you so much for this information - very helpful! :hello:

19. I skimmed through this whole thread, and the whole time I was thinking "what is actually so bad about this disease?".

Well?

Does it decrease potency/yield/quality? Does it kill the plant? Does it make it toxic to smoke? Does it just stunt growth? WHAT DOES THIS DAMN DISEASE DO OTHER THAN INFECT OUR PLANTS!?!?!?

20. well i checked my plant today and came to the conclusion its TMV. a slug attacked it early on leaving its slime trail on it.. wondering if that is what caused it? id like to also know if i can still use the soil ? just grow a new one? its only 4 weeks old right now, still vegging.