Tobacco Mosaic Virus (TMV) pics and info

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by joe_fresh, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Hello, I have posted a few topics trying to get some help my plants are looking iffy and sick. I noticed that the leaves are curving and tacoing and my cotton candy plants have been growing slow as all hell. It looks like a tomato worm ate parts of the leaves off on a few leaves and there are leaves that look like they are rotting from green to brow to yellow to nearly see threw opaque color can somebody check my topic out and give me a shout I can't tell what it is and I've been researching like a crack head because o spent 2000$ setting my stuff up ans . how This happens lol. It is not my first grow and my only issues ever where chem burn from safe soap to rid some white flys thanks.

2. Hello, I have posted a few topics trying to get some help my plants are looking iffy and sick. I noticed that the leaves are curving and tacoing and my cotton candy plants have been growing slow as all hell. It looks like a tomato worm ate parts of the leaves off on a few leaves and there are leaves that look like they are rotting from green to brow to yellow to nearly see threw opaque color can somebody check my topic out and give me a shout I can't tell what it is and I've been researching like a crack head because o spent 2000$ setting my stuff up ans . how This happens lol. It is not my first grow and my only issues ever where chem burn from safe soap to rid some white flys thanks.

3. Could this be TMV?
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1410470010.603678.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1410470023.854553.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1410470033.805018.jpg

I know I have a more infestation btw... I'm working on that

Where da drank

4. Hey, I have been having some weird growth in my veg, a lot of the newer nodes seem to be stunted. I thought it may be a deficiency so I transplanted it into a stronger mix. They don't really look like they are coming out of it. And I'm worried it's tmv, because I have some pretty rare strains I would rather not loose. Thanks for the help!

5. heres the pics

Attached Files:

6. #308 oldschooltofu, Oct 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2014
    is this TMV?
    if not does anyone know what it is.

[​IMG]

7. Hey Joe my name is Milton. Well miltyburn here but thanks for the shared knowledge. Appreciate big time what do I need to get for a regulator for my tanks to hose?

8. [​IMG]
    That looks like sawfly damage
    http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/gardens-gardening/your-garden/help-for-the-home-gardener/advice-tips-resources/pests-and-problems/insects/sawflies/rose-and-pear-slugs-sawflies.aspx

can also happen if you spray leaves on a hot day in full sun. Or if you get plants too close to hids or spray under them.
    ~ poke

9. Just thought I'd mention this...

An important part of plant hygiene (especially if there is a virus/bacteria/fungus present) is to make sure you sanitize your clippers or other cutting instruments before you move on to another plant.  If you use, for instance, one set of clippers to go through your facility, you are basically risking infecting every plant you cut.

I am not a pot grower, but I am a plant propagator, and the way I address this is to have two containers of sterilizing solution (your choice, whatever is comfortable for you, but make sure it addresses viruses) and two clippers.  While one pair is sanitizing I am working with the other pair on the next plant...then just switch off, changing between every plant.  Some sanitizers have a time requirement to achieve sterilization, so when you make your sterilizer selection, be sure to check what the requirement is and select a sterilizer that suits your own pruning time between plants.

In addition, be sure to sterilize your hands in between plants.   The gel sanitizers are not sufficient for many pathogens.  Again, make a selection of hand-sanitizer method which works for you.  

You should also keep your hair wrapped up so you don't end up transporting potential pathogens hither and yon by dreds or ponytails flapping in the breeze.  This is more important if you are working with plants that have enough of a canopy that your hair makes contact with the plants when you are cutting.

Also, since you are working with sanitizing agents, be careful not to get any harmful kinds on sensitive areas like the eyes, etc.  Wash your hands with regular soap (30-second scrub, don't cheat) before and after you use the toilet.

Soil--use sterilized soil that is delivered bagged.  Sometimes sterilized soil is left in the yard for awhile which is enough time for wind-blown pathogen contamination.

One source of reinfecting plants are the conatiners they are grown in.  If you reuse containers, you have to really scrub them to get all of the pathogens and weed seads out (some weed seeds are extremely small).  Use a sanitizer and sterilized brush.  Sterilize the brush between containers.

Shoes can also be a source of contamination of a facility.  There should be a container  of sterilization in front of the entrance to the facility where workers can step into right before they enter the facility.  Make sure workers stay in the sterilization fluid container the amount of time necessary to eliminate viruses.

I know this is a lot of work, but losing a greenhouse full of a cash-crop makes it worth the effort to do everything you can to avoid allowing pathogens into your growing facility.  Once you and your workers become used to the drill, it will become second nature.

• Like Like x 1
  11. TMV? Don't know what up with these babies. Ph is on point. No nutes yet just in ffof soil. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1424396293.224192.jpg

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1424396309.682228.jpg

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1424396330.208469.jpg

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1424396352.769826.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

12. Was wondering if this is tmv and if not please point me in the right direction. The purple coloring at the tips is worse or spreading and beginning to curl under/ downwards. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Files:

13. Here is another pic of the purple color.

Attached Files:

14. Hey guys I have a couple pics of my plants that kind of seem like the Tobacco Mosaic Virus! Im not to0 sure if it is can you guys help me find out!

Im growing in FFOF and I got them as clones. 1 Blue Dream and 2 OG's. Im growing outdoor.

My tap water is at 7 & I notice the runoff was coming out at 5 and I haven't added any nutrients yet! So I added Dolomite Lime (Powder) into the soil when they were already planted! Is that ok? I water them 2 times a week is that enough? 2 are in 5 gallon pots and 1 in a 10 gallon pot. Don't know what is causing this please help!

Attached Files:

15. Started 12/12 and Flushed with 5.8 ph'd water down to 150ppm 30 days
    ago.. have been giving 1/2 recommend of fox farm trio (HYDRO) mix of
    spagnam peat and perlite .. i have noticed a few leaves yellow with
    some brown.. also some only effecting 1/2 of a leaf finger and yellow
    leaf edges (pics)..temps 75f-78f lights off and 82f-87f lights on(i know
    it's a bit high) also i have a ph meter
    and always ph to around 5.8-6.0.. i have never witnessed this, so i
    figured id ask all u experts here, as im still learning... also how does
    my grow look overall, any other problems u c let me kno? Thanks all!

P.S. after looking a bit more could it be Tobacco Mosaic Virus (TMV)... i hope not

P.P.S. After researching more im even more clueless from what i read most
    people that think they have it actually dont.. some people sent there
    plants for testing at a lab only to come back negative when they wer
    100% sure it was.. after reading there are so many things that can cause
    this.. like Broad mites, mutation or ph/feeding problems.. i swear im
    stumped on this.. anyone want to chime in?

Attached Files:

16. usually that tell tale J shaped leaf blade and random holes in your leaves that you know couldn't have come from physical damage are the two best signs of it I know of.