Top 10 ways to stay safe (indoors)

Discussion in 'Security' started by Freedom, Jun 17, 2010.

1. In that case, you are safer but your relative is assuming some level of risk for you.

I asked you to clarify because people have posted on here before with all kinds of crazy schemes, such as a guy who wanted to have beans sent to his neighbor's house with the plan of rifling through his neighbor's mail every day to intercept the package intended for him, definitely not cool and an additional federal offense.

2. #42 PeaceMan, Jul 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2010

Yea i have seen a few crazy schemes around here, i thought it would be safer this way and the relative is fully aware of the risks, this is why i want to be as safe as possible.
    And i have also heard its much safer ordering through postal orders instead of direct debit because of personal details can be recorded.
    Thanks for all the help.

3. Ok but if customs found your package, alerted authorities, and they wanted to bust you, wouldn't they just stake out the PO BOX?

4. Maybe, but doubtful. I have a PO Box and I check it around once a week, LEO isn't going to sit around in the post office all week on the chance that I'll show up to bust me for a dozen seeds (remember that possession violations in most places are based on weight, so seeds don't add up to very much pot to bust someone on).

More likely, if they wanted to bust you, they would try to get a search warrant. And the idea here is that they will get the search warrant on the address where the beans were shipped (in this case the PO Box). They could look up to see that you own the box and then cross-reference to find your home address and try to get a search warrant for that address too, and perhaps they would be successful, but more likely a judge would not be inclined to give out warrants for all kinds of addresses that have a connection-to-a-connection to the contraband, that's too much of a fishing expedition that your lawyer could later get overturned and evidence inadmissible.

5. I think the less quantity you have the safer, as Toasty says. If you order just enough seeds for a personal grow, then it is very unlikely that your package will be intercepted. However, if you have private land with a big old greenhouse and are ordering hundreds of seeds along with all your grow equipment, then you are definitely (by simple probability) sending out more red flags to federal authorities.

I can't say from experience on ordering seeds, but for my current grow I purchased them in Holland and came back stateside. If someone in the flesh can make it through customs okay, I think a small shipment should be okay.

6. If they go to the trouble of getting a search warrant, I suspect they will get one for all of your known addresses. I mean, a judge can see it's unlikely that you actually live in (and "possess" seeds in) a PO box...

7. So what's the point of sending it to PO Box, right? If they are going after you it doesn't matter whether you send it to a PO or your own house.

Who here, from the US, has purchased seeds online (using a Credit card)? Should I just be extra careful and send a money order? How long does that take?

8. Many judges won't do that, that's why. What they know at that point is that contraband was being sent to a specific person at a specific address. A judge may or may not issue search warrants for every address associated with that person based only on the confiscated contraband. Judges don't like the embarrassment of having their own search warrants deemed unreasonable and evidence thrown out, and a good attorney has a decent case for just that if the warrant was issued beyond the immediate scope given the evidence so far.

The reason is that the evidence just isn't there yet. Their case to date against you is completely deflated by: "I don't know what you're even talking about officer, I didn't order any seeds. Someone's sick idea of a joke I guess." (a lot harder to deny it if you use your credit card though). The judge knows that, and that's why a search warrant is in a gray area between reasonable and unreasonable. The judge is going to want to know what else they have on you before issuing any kind of warrant.

Now, if you have priors or have had issues with LEO before then it could be a whole different ballgame. I'm talking about an otherwise straight-arrow upstanding citizen owns a PO Box to which 10 MJ seeds were sent without a paper trail, that's not much for many judges to get excited about.

Like I said originally, this provides another layer of protection, it is not a single step that renders you bulletproof. This thread is about staying safe, and the safest approach is taking caution at every turn because you never know what will keep you under the radar or will get you off the hook if you do catch their attention.

I have bought seeds, never with a credit card though. How long it takes varies a lot, anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months turnaround time.

9. I think the point is that if the cops want to get you, they will work their arses off to do so (and a PO box is not going to stop them). And in most (if not all cases, in the US), they probably aren't going to want to work that hard on a few seeds in the mail. They probably aren't going to seek warrants based on that alone. From the little I've read here, it seems that mostly it's just a letter in the mail telling you they know you've been naughty (and by implication, not to do it again).
    In short, if you make it worth their while, the cops will bust you. If you don't, they won't. I just don't see a parcel (sent to you) via a PO box (in your name) is doing much to deter them, or protect you. In fact, it might add to deny-ability as a "prank" if all your mail is sent to a PO box, and this package just happens to be sent to your home address...
    All this pre-supposes that you don't have a record, as to be "safe" in that situation you probably shouldn't be ordering seeds.

10. You have nothing to be worried about cops and infrared camera as it is illegal for them to do that without a signed court order. example; if they have a warrent or court order to use the camera any other houses they find other then the one they are ordered to look at are not admissible in court as they have now invaded your privacy without your concent or a complaint from someone about something. the police are always there as peace officers that is there original duty which is to protect the public peace and if you breach the peace or there is a complain made that is the only reason for them to come speak to you. but like they said never speak to them because you are not obligated to speak to LAW ENFORCEMENT or for that matter let anyone on your property with out your concent. its in your rights for canadians and constitution for americans

11. Yeah. Just keep heat leaks from windows and any vents and you'll be totally fine. I heard some horror stories regarding helicopters at night, under the federal law system technically its not "invading privacy"

12. Thankyou freedom for putting that up it was very very helpful to me and alot of others aswell i think good on ya mate keep up the good work:D:wave::smoking:

13. Thunks. :D

14. Are you joking? Because thats exactly how they describe serial killers. Their neighbor says "He seemed just like a normal guy!" but its always that dude who kills people.....

???

:smoke:

15. The quiet, unassuming neighbor isn't always a serial killer, in fact the vast majority of the time he isn't. So being a good neighbor does not make you a suspect. But yes, according to media coverage the serial killer usually is a quiet, unassuming guy.

All horses are four-legged animals, but not all four-legged animals are horses...

16. Whoa. It got deep in here :hippie:

17. I hope you were just being silly... seriously though... go to work and class and act normal and nobody will think twice... And as long as you don't have this huge grow that can be smelled from the street you'll probably never have a problem...

18. First off....Kinetic...I really dig your fractile nature photo. !_!
    It really depends on where you live and what the people are like. It's all about blending in and also acting while keeping a chill profile and not throwing signals and red and blue lights.If you are in the ghetto... mind your own biz and keep on... if you are in the burbz... wave and smile and don't get too close but be a good christian lolz. If you are in super uppity town well.... then thats a whole different story but play the game well all in all. Meditate and call in the blending elements of Chameleon and leave some snacks for that spirit to guide and protect you. For real, as whatever as this seems, it is amazingly real shit that works. Learn more about shamanism and protect yourself...make YOU invisible....not too invisible... you don't wanna get into car accidents and shit. Everything is energy... our thoughts... actions and words, so make you and your plants invisib;e. I know this sounds easier than done... I am waaaaaay too paranoid but this is good advice to mee as well. Thanks for helping me to channel it so. PEACE FAMILY-FRIENDS

19. You hit it dead on.. Do what is normal for your environment... whatever you were doing before you started growing... as long as it was stuff that was keeping you outta jail then keep doing it :D

20. yowza. great thread, great tips, but wow, I thought I was paranoid! Do you guys know how much evidence a cop needs to request a warrant? I don't, but I certainly dont think seeing a light in your house at night or witnessing you purchase things at a hydro shop will be enough for a judge to put his name on the line by allowing a cop to violate your right to privacy and search your residence. The safer you are the better, I of course agree with that completely, but reading this just made me feel uncomfortably paranoid.