Top 10 ways to stay safe (indoors)

Discussion in 'Security' started by Freedom, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Ya you should be good! I've ordered tents, ballasts, bulbs, reflectors etc shipped to my place. If they can get a search warrant for ordering equipment than it's time to move to a different country!!

2. its been stated multiple times but staying under the radar is important for so many reasons. Not totally sure if these have been completely covered but when it comes to our safety and well being you can never study too much. 

remember, this is "the WAR on drugs" and in war there are the ones that walk away and the ones that don't. The other side is going to use every dirty trick they can get away with. So you use every dirty trick you can too. Your life and livelihood are at stake. There are sites on the web where you can look at how household drug raids have went in this country. Less moral LEOs have taken the tiny fish they caught and stretched the single piece of information they got into a warrant by lying and filling in the blanks. So even if you're flying at 5 feet below the canopy remember this little detail "All it takes is one DICK cop". someone said before "take no unnecessary risks" and that is my mantra too. Sure, if they lie to get a warrant you may be able to get evidence thrown out...

BUT, remember also that most of these guys are family men just like most of us. They want to go home alive, and so do you. even if the raid goes swimmingly, you might sneeze and someone thinks you're reaching for his partner's sidearm. even if you only WAKE UP as the element is slicing the pie in your bedroom, they may think your phone on the nightstand is a gun. Point is, stay smart, stay safe, stay alive... a coining of another of my mantras that extreme hobbyists and alternative lifestyle types may well follow...play smart, play safe, play again.

-Private property secluded from the main roadway by at least 100m, gated and visually isolated (such as living on farm/livestock property out west n in the bible belt) are big bonuses. If you run your own chicken farm then a 1200-2000w power spike on your electric isn't going to raise any eyebrows so thats a benefit. Remember to post those "no tresspassing" signs.

-Make sure your doorbell works and you can hear it anywhere in the home, including in the grow area. Same goes for that metal door knocker thingy. Point is, you don't want to give anyone a reason to go snooping around because "you didn't come to the door, wanted to make sure you were alright sir". Plus this makes you look like a responsible homeowner if anyone ever DOES come snooping. in my time as a pizza delivery driver I found that honestly about half the people had doorbells that were broken or non-existent, and homes with functional doorbells left me waiting the least, and when I would wait anywhere I would end up looking at the back door or maybe for a basement/upstairs apartment... SNOOPING, in essence, but only because I really wanted to deliver that pie and hopefully get tipped more for the grief. now imagine a cop with that same sense of devotion to his goal...

-SAFEST is to buy all local, all cash, distrubuted in a way that doesn't look overly suspicious. ie, don't go to Lowes and buy everything, don't even buy the same circle of things there. Buy your 600w HPS system, but don't buy any gardening supplies there (or at least, not on the same trip). Coming from a business family, you walk into Lowes for a 600w HPS or four, you could be buying them for an industrial shop, any sort of warehouse/workshop where you need good lighting, etc. But when a person sees a specific combination of items, they are more prone to freak out... heavy duty lights, academia on tomato growing, five gallon buckets and fertilizer and soil... people will think you're growing SOMETHING bigger than tomatoes... To quote Always Sunny in Philadelphia, "It's the implication" and the implication is all it takes, so never buy condoms, duct tape, pantyhose, and a knife at wal mart around 2am, DENNIS

-SAFER, you can buy online using a delivery chain, ie shipping to a PO box registered to an address besides the one where the grow is, or to a trusted individual nearby. multiple people have mentioned to me (including a family member that used to work for FedEx) that one of the more successful strategies of avoiding detection of contraband was to place a last minute order and pay for overnight shipping, as long as there are no particular flags for sender/reciever, there is even less reason to bother with it because you're paying for expedited shipping, so its more money for them in exchange for promising to get your shit to you so much faster. but personally I wouldn't want a paper trail.

-Browsing and uploading, use proxies to mask the info trail as much as possible. don't talk about present endeavors. If you talk about anything use veiled language even if it is thin ice to stand on. SWIM, old news elsewhere ie "an old grow, back when I lived in X location" always check pics before uploading, geotagging and file dating do make old news elsewhere harder so you gotta scrub the files somehow. don't give names don't give locations, don't give em a reason.

-inside man. Remember that friend you used to be close to back in HS that became a state trooper? that guy you dated 4 years ago that was in law school and broke up with you on good terms? or maybe a relative that works high up in the chain of command for the City? Any name that you know well enough may get you out of a citation or further scrutiny, but maybe you should get buddy buddy again because if your shits getting searched dropping names probably isn't going to help you, and having your friend tell his sgt "look, this guy and I go way back, he isn't scum...I believe him when he admits they were personal...can we go easy on him?" or even better, walking into court and the judge seeing someone he knows real well in for trumped up charges...well, if they are already on your side getting the charges dismissed is that much easier. plus of course, everybody needs friends right?

-don't trail... this means discretion is key. if you're growing in an area where a half-smoked joint will almost certainly land you in jail, don't smoke outside. this means in your car, at the park, anywhere that is in the public view. other than that, just don't give them a reason to want to find out if you have more at home than the half gram in your pocket. this also goes hand in hand with maintenance, both of property and automobile. in some municipalities high grass can be ticket-worthy, so that means someone from the city or a local LEO may go to your house and stick a note on your door, indicating when they might be back to see that you've complied. obviously staying off the radar is also easier if you're not constantly getting stopped for bad headlights/taillights/no wipers in rain/driving a car that smells like a doug benson podcast... don't be seen carrying loads of shit in/out of your house falls under this rule too, is why a semi-private carport or a fully enclosed garage would be beneficial.

lastly isn't really a safety rule, so much as generally good advice. If you want to succeed, look at success.try to look at how they work and see if you can improve it.just remember, even with your bases covered you can't do anything if someone shoots you during the raid...

3. #203 med smoke, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2014
    A few things i thought

1) If your buying supplies

i.e compost, plant pots etc from gardening shops,
    and you want to look more legit  buy some cheap outdoor  flowers to blend in.

2)

Use eco lights  i have watched cop tv shows (in uk) and the police helicopters do go over areas with there ir cameras and you can clearly see heat loss from windows and vents which look so obvious , you dont see the lights themselfs just glows of heat oozing out!!

[​IMG]

More links :
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2461412/Police-helicopter-s-thermal-imaging-camera-detected-home-cannabis-factory-heat-coming-lamps-grow-drugs-look-like-flat-GLOWING.html#v-2745737357001

3)

Obvious tip:
    Dont flush and left off shrubs down toilet , dont want to risk blocking pipes and a plumber  finding this coming from your house/area.

4)
    If your really paranoid browsing , use a proxy like ghostvpn to browse sites like this :p

5)

Iv heard electric company's getting suspicious from sudden electric usages so try grow small dont be greedy!

4. 1. Look totally clean cut and be exceptionally polite.  Be fanatical about what you wear, nothing that draws attention to you or seems edgy.  Choose a location where you blend in. For example, if you are single and no kids, don't go to an area where there are lots of families. Keep your grass mowed and if you have a dog, it needs to be well behaved and quiet. Secluded houses, rural locations, anywhere that your neighbors aren't right on top of you.  End of the street, cul de sacs. You really want to avoid people seeing your movements and for whatever reason, getting nosy or suspicious.

2.  Have a safety checklist in your grow room and go over it every time you are there. Check any extension cords, double check water sources, etc. Anything that can leak, smoke, overflow, spark, or spray should get double checked before leaving your location.

3.  Mulitple, smaller locations are better than huge single locations

4.  Before going into any remote location, drive by once or twice and go around a couple blocks to see how things are looking. If you ever see anything that remotely seems strange, leave and go to a coffee shop or restuarant. Go try again later.

5.  Growing is lonely. You just can't talk about what you are doing. Ever. And see #1 about politeness. Work at having really good stable relationships with a select few, who are totally trustworthy, and know that you can never have personal drama.

6.  Always check for light leaks.

7.  Do not carry big wads of cash around.. Oh, and discreet spending habits. And totally avoid the customer cards at Lowes, etc. if you are spending a lot of $$ there, because it tracks everything you spend.

8.  Use a good air purification system. Well worth the investment.

9.  Don't have gardening products shipped to the same address where you grow.

10.  Don't smoke in public. Don't break any laws, in general. Don't hang out with people that are loose, they will end up causing you problems.

11. Don't get greedy. Greed clouds your judgement.

12.  Don't talk on your cell phone, don't send emails, don't text anything that is incriminating. I don't think you should even save receipts for warranties, it's not worth it.

13. Don't buy used equipment on craigslist or classifieds. Use an established store with a good reputation, and when you go in, don't act weird or infer anything. As far as they are concerned, you are growing vegetables and flowers and you want to keep it that way.

14.  If you are growing commercially, don't burn yourself out. The stress can take a toll on you and cause you to make bad decisions and errors. Never be afraid to break down, clean up, and regroup later if things just seem to be going sour. Makes me think of $$. Keep your money separated into several locations,. Not all together. A lock box can work for some, too.

5. damn you guys freaking me out how safe is this site against the red/blue lights lol??

6. I have always found that a good carbon filter is well worth its money. Always be discreet when you move equipment into you indoor garden.

7. i say:

install cameras

use carbon filter

do not allow any light leaks

board up windows

don't tell your friends about the garden

don't have guns onsite

8. Don't sell it!
    Don't tell it!
    Don't smell it!

• Like Like x 4
  9. Sb215 card holder southern cali. I grow indoor and outdoor LEGAL MEDICAL MARIJUANA so i dont have to worry bout 5-0 just greedy friends and neighbors. Peace smoke legal its the best way!

10. This is a brilliant thread and an enourmous amount of points here are well worth considering.

There did seem to be a fair amount of panic over electricity usage, which after reading I wanted to try and relieve the stress some members maybe feeling. Small grow set ups are never going to trigger a response from an electrical company. Remember electricity is measured in KW/h that mean Kilo (1 thousand Watts) of energy used in 1 hour. A house uses a lot of these in a day for example if you have an electric water heater the element in that is rated at around 3KW or 3000W that means in heating your tank of water it will use a single unit every 20mins. That's the same as running a 600W grow light for 1 hr 40mins. My gaming PC needs 600W of power when running fully, which it pretty much does 24/7.

If your silly to run 20+ lights all the time then yes it will look unusual, but even 4, would barely even raise an eyebrow with a power company. If your that concerned about the additional power, then take a look at the best ways to improve your energy saving at home (assuming your growing there). I'm not saying it's something you shouldn't bear in mind, but in my opinion worrying about a small additional usage on your bill doesn't deserve the concern some have shown.

Regarding thermal footprint. The photo of the IR imagery of the flat gives away some important information
    • the flat shines far brighter than any of the surrounding properties immediately giving it away to the Police.
      • This is due to the thermal signature of the flat being significantly higher than the surrounding properties. Also the property itself had reached a thermal saturation point. The entire outline being illuminated on the camera. - translation, Where are you growing? Where can I hide/get rid of my heat?
      • This building was built circa 1960-80 the walls are solid in all likelihood the grower was recycling his air inside the property with the windows shut. - translation, What insulation does my grow area have? How can I get rid of the heat?
      • Notice the other flats with IR hotspots, the only ones visible are those with open windows. Also another point, the windows are double glazed. The camera cannot see heat through them due to the vacuum gap in the panel. - Translation, If there are windows in your grow room are they double glazed? If not find a way to insulate them. There are some good guides out there for stealth windows.
      • Importantly the camera cannot see anything other than a hot wall. It cannot see through walls.
    • Growing commercially is a bad idea. Grower had £30k worth of smoke. Local prices are approx £140 per ounce wholesale price. That's 214 ounces of weed.
    These are just my thoughts, I'm not saying don't worry at all, just make sure your worrying about the right things.

11. Hi, New Member here :)

I Learnt number 2 the hard way. Nosy neighbour from hell. I honestly didnt think anyone would notice the small amount of light coming from my grow tent (left one zipper open due to heat/trying to cool the tent). I was wrong. Nosy neighbour from hell (NNFH for short) bailed me up in the drive way asking me what the light was coming from that room.. Seriously.. I have now installed block out blinds however probably shouldn't have done this on the same day as being questioned.

As for number 6 (disposal) I was just going to chuck the left overs in the greenwaste bin.. No? Could that be tracked back to me from the tip?

12. Great info here

The rule of “loose lips sink ships” is not understood well enough by some; the rules offered here by the OP (thanks btw) are great; silence is really under appreciated! I’ll only discuss growing and techniques here! I’ve been blessed with two great friends that I could easily trust with knowledge that I am learning to “grow”, but I choose to keep them from the burden of worrying about me by remaining silent!

Seriously!!!

I live in a “prohibition state” (Georgia, US) and local PD has a boner for even the smallest bust; I know this well, as I train with several local officers and deputies at a local gym; they’re constantly regailing me with stories of these small time guys that they bust up! I admire their stories and ask helpful things like: “how do you know who to bust” and the answer is almost without exception: “someone talked”. It’s not as simple as I’ve made it out here, but there’s almost always a “chain” of communication that starts with someone trying to buy leniency for “crime A” by telling the authorities about “someone else”, or some other matter like the aforementioned “jaded ex” or “jealous bf/gf”, or “buyer/dealer” using the tip line to get revenge or “oust” a competitor.

Recently, my local Sherriffs office staged a bust on a young man that was stealing from cars and selling “weed”; they asked if they could line up their units in my driveway... I know many from the gym and not only welcomed the use of my drive, but also brought them in for coffee I had just ground/made...

Keep your friends close; keep adversaries closer!

The irony was not lost that three “seeds” were germinating on a paper towel on the kitchen windowsill while they were telling me about the bust three doors down...

Do I buy growing supplies online? Yes
    Do I also have a grow light in my kitchen windowsill? Why yes I do, as I’ve grown winter herbs there for two years; and that’s what is growing there now too. My wife and I are “foodies” and bring select spice garden plants in for the winter; I got the idea from another local friend... Plausible deniability for anyone looking at my purchase history!

Remember the advice quoted earlier in this thread... Two men can easily keep a secret... If one of them is dead.

Silence is golden!

-MAC-

• Like Like x 2
  13. I plan on doing a grow soon so I will need as much of this advice as possible. Time to read through all the pages.

14. #215 c&c, Dec 9, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    i use my computer to
    BOY CRY WOLFsss !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. #216 c&c, Dec 9, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    chivary is not dead

Just because some one's electric bill is super HIGH !!!!!!!!!!
    It does not mean they are THE LORDS OF DRUGS
    It could be that they are extremely longly
    and just needs some pets company for example

30,000 tarantulas for sale
    6,000 orchid mantis never for sale
    they are my pets
    200 species of beetle all native to the USA