Students punished for wearing American flags on Cinco de Mayo

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Dronetek, May 6, 2010.

1. Is it the school's business to repress freedom of expression?
    And What is the underlying message?

2. its not unheard of. when i went to high school we couldn't wear offensive messages on t-shirts, etc. nothing promoting alcohol or drugs, that sort of shit. and that was like 15-20 years ago.

in this case it's just stupid.

3. Not a positive one towards Hispanics. Schools aren't the place for this.

It's the administators business to regulate. This was a recipe for disaster. The students are lucky they weren't beat down by a group of raging Mexican Americans.

This was a poor display of patriotism. Speak you're mind for christ sake.

4. I think you've stumbled on the motive. There isn't a lot of room for a negative outcome, on the one hand you get punished and can scream about your victimhood, and on the other you get a beatdown and can scream about your victimhood. The only negative is you might have to get a beatdown in exchange for your wolf-crying. Then again, I think you're inflating the likelihood of violence just a tad.

5. #145 newskoolgrower, May 7, 2010
    Last edited: May 7, 2010
    yes there is a such thing, I am MEXICAN/AMERICAN or AMERICAN/MEXICAN, however you want to fucken call it I Have mexican blood, aztec blood. I am American born here, But I am also Mexican. There are africans born in mexico that were migrated to mexico during the slave era, they are still around today. They are called African/Mexicans, it does not change their ethnicity, just their nationality. If a Chinese man comes to America and has kids, they are Chinese/American because it's in their blood, their ethnicity.

like it or not, people like to be labled mexican/american, cuban/american, nicaraguan because that is a part of them, something you can't take away from them. It gives latino/americans a sense of Pride to celebrate their roots no matter where their from. pride may be foolish sometimes, but it feels oh so good right? some people can look at a latino and tell where they are from just by their facial features. whether they are mexican or colombian

I can definitely see where you're coming from with this.
    it's retarded to believe that all four of them just randomly were dressed in american flags and bandanas and that it was just to show pride. any non kkk member should be able to see that. this is like an incident that happened in compton CA years back when Mexican/americans walked out one day when African/American activity's were being held for the black students for african american history month. They are all american of course, but the mexicans students chose not to participate in in the lunchtime show and disrespected the black students. the same thing can be said with these 4 kids, of course they didn't have to dress up in damn panchos and mariachi hats and sing, but they could've respectfully went along with the day. these 4 guys knew it would cause controversy and thats what they wanted, they are attention whores.

that is correct, California, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona were all mexico once too, califonia is part of mexicos native land.

To the people saying "if you don't like it leave" lol, just because weed is illegal in the U.S (in most states) and you don't like it should you get the fuck out, and leave, or don't agree with obamas Health care bill you should fuckin leave? or don't like that we have to pay taxes? Alot of "born Here" Americans like me hate alot of stuff about America, even though we love this country, why the fuck should we leave, FUCK YOU.

and to the guy who said something about the mexicans picking fruits and mowing lawns. FUCK YOU, I hope you end up cutting George Lopez's grass with the old school lawn mowers while he cracks jokes on you on a 100 degree day.

6. Sooo, the Mexican flag displays a negative message towards whites then? What about the Hispanic kids that wore the American flag? I'm sorry, but your theory is the dumbest one yet and seems to be based on the skin color of the kids.

7. #147 newskoolgrower, May 7, 2010
    Last edited: May 7, 2010
    There's many latin people that don't like other latin people, even mexicans from certain parts of mexico don't like other mexicans from other states in mexico, this "hispanic" (BTW I've never heard of hispania, where is this place located?) kid is probably one of those racist latinos with no heritage from mexico that doesn't like Mexicans, he probably even hates them. I still don't know how you can't see in any way that this is racist, alright racist is a strong word to use, you know what, it's not even the right word to use. how about disrespectfull. it's plain disrespectfull, what those guys did. It's just disrespectfull, most of the kids celebrating the day are mexican American and proud of it, but it was a day for people with Mexican blood and even non mexicans to celebrate just because it's supposed to be a fun day in school, they probably even had a mini concert at lunch and all that.

It doesn't matter when it happened or where in which this holiday was created, It was the Mexicans time to have just a lil bit of fun and these guys went against it. I know you'll respond with something else. i'll just leave this as is, this is my view on it. you're right these kids are white and wearing the american flag on a holiday that mexicans and non mexicans celebrate. they could have just gone with it, but they didn't.

I see no other reason for ALL 4 Of these kids in the SAME group all TOGETHER on the SAME DAY would wear American flags on a mexican holiday other than to say FUCK YOU, or to get national attention. Either way fuck it, if those kids had balls, they would've just said what's really on their minds with a shirt that read "fuck mexicans" "or fuck your holiday"

8. Guess what . . . . I DON'T!!!

9. The future of this country is in trouble with people like this....

10. #1. I agree it's the administrators job to regulate. So I'll reiterate once again. Either allow ALL of it, or allow NONE of it in a public school. Good luck trying to get the American Flag taken off thousands of flagpoles on public school grounds all across the US.

#2. Students were "lucky"? I really get sick and fucking tired of living in physical fear of minority groups being portrayed as "groups of raging", and I'm quite certain they do too. Of course, they have to start changing the statistics that labels them as "violent" to change this public view.

#2. If this was considered a poor display of patriotism, then please help explain the message that the American flag portrays that was flying outside on this very day?

The American flag should never be viewed as a "poor display", no matter what day or time it is. If you believe otherwise, don't let the "door" hit you on the way out my friend.

11. Punished for patriotism? This is a terrible response from the administration. They stooped just as low by punishing them for this. Regardless of intentions, the children are entitled to their right to wear whatever they want to make whatever statement.

If you have a problem with the American flag being shown anywhere at anytime I politely ask you to get the fuck out. You don't like it, take yourselves back to where you came. You can wear a Mexican flag during American independence day all you want in Mexico and I can wear my American flag during Mexican independence day all I want in America.

See it another way? Then leave. I guess you don't want the independence to celebrate Cinco de Mayo. Be lucky America even allows that, for any countries independence day celebrations. We could completely outlaw it and it'd be just like as if you were at home.

I mean, seriously.. This ALL, this ALL, boils down to discrimination against Mexicans. But then again, if you'd quit talking your fifty or sixty relatives across the boarder illegally, you wouldn't be so discriminated against. Wearing an American flag on this day, at this event is not discriminatory by any means but the childrens' intentions were. Perhaps they actually know what goes on at the boarder.

12. Even though I feel these guys are douchebags that wear similar clothes as one another all the time to make their own clique, I gotta say, it SAID they wear those American colored clothes EVERY day and didn't change that for 5/5, which isn't a holiday Mexicans cop to everywhere (like here in NorCal, everyone agrees it's a drinking American holiday, representing a battle won, not an independence day)

13. I know it's probably impossible due to some people's lives being completely devoted to their nationality, but if given the chance, I'd tear away any cultural differences and just make us all neutral.

Shit like this happening proves, as the human race, we don't deserve certain cultural representations as it only holds us back.

14. Flag on the shirt or not these dudes look like FAGS!!!!!!

15. I'm glad they aren't apologizing. Fucking stand that ground, they aren't going to do anything besides bitch about it anyways.

"I think they should just apologize."

"I'm sorry, but fuck you." :)

16. Is this how patriotism is should be displayed? kids peacocking around with American flag bandannas and t shirts on Cinco de Mayo? Swastikas and Confederate Flags on MLK?

Speaking of Patriotism.. We had thousands Americans and allies die in WWI and WWII, yet we got klan members tatooing their bodies and properties with swastikas? That is the the most unpatriotic act of all.

I'll ask the people once again.. Who the hell is going to go out of their way on Cinco de Mayo and dress down in American flag gear?

5 kids call each other up and decide to all wear shirts with the american flag on the same day which happened to be Cinco De Mayo and they got attention for it...who would have thought. They knew something would come from doing that, at least some trash talking with other people. It was a pre-meditated, symbolic middle finger to all the Mexicans.

17. I think they should have Taco Bell day-

18. How on earth can you logically connect a blatantly racist act like swastikas and confederate flags on MLK day with the American flag on a holiday designated for not this country? Does the American flag have a specific race tied to it? No dude, that's the point, the very reason this country exists. Not only that, but one of the kids was hispanic. Don't try to escalate that to something it wasn't, that's not cool and it blows when people try to make a valid argument on nonsense; it's irrelevant.

19. Sad but true when you watch the TV interviews these kids are clueless, But NO this about our country and those how died for it WTF!!!!!!!!!!!

I would have walked up and SOCKED one of those kids just for tiring to be funny and shown them MY AMERICAN PATRIOTISM fucking little faggots-

20. #160 Herb., May 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2010
    I stopped reading before the end of the first paragraph fragment because you make an unfair analogy. You cannot compare racism and the world's biggest rights movement to a day of independence. That racism verses patriotism and is completely illogical and invalidates your entire argument.

You have no idea what they were doing, what they meant, what they stood for, or what group of Mexican's they were "pointing the middle finger to". You fail to realize that the group 'Hispanics' is more than just Mexicans and is actually greater in number of countries and people then America or any other group, for that matter. Once you understand that, come back.

Exactly. How can he make that connection? Maybe because he is Mexican himself and can't get over a few facts. All the Mexicans fighting for this want one thing. They want to be called Mexican-Americans.

Well, guess what? That isn't going to happen when you can't wear a half American, half Mexican flagged t-shirt on either of the independence days. This would be the same for an African country's independence day being celebrated here. You want to be called African-American? Then you can accept, both your flag and our flag on both independence days.

And once again, don't like it? Get the fuck out.