Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

strains with no paranoia?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by abrb18, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Hello, I dont know if this is specific to the person and I just need trial and error, but I am a WA MMJ patient and I was wondering what strains are good for chronic pain and IBS but do not cause paranoia or racing thoughts etc... i reviewed the stickies and is the "racing heart" described on some strains more indicative of a paranoia causing strain? if i could find a motivating sativa that is good for the pain(chronic headaches and IBS related pain) that would be great but in my experience the "upper" strains have caused more paranoia for me. If its a knockout strain that works too, I was more looking for one for the day and one for the night. I have been considering White Rhino, hashplants and afghan strains, Northern Lights, Aurora Indica, Lifesaver, Bogbubble, and Sourbubble.

2. From everything i've experienced, paranoia always has stemmed from fear of getting caught. So i truly believe that paranoia is not a cannabis side effect, i feel if it was legal i wouldnt ever worry. Just remember your legal, dont let paranoia get to you.

3. I am never worried about getting caught (everything is legal, i can have 15 plants and 24 ounces, more than enough), its more just a feeling of something bad is going to happen in the near future. I know its not mental, if i have the same strain for weeks it will consistently do it if i smoke, never if i ingest that same strain though. anybody know if any terpenoids(is that how you spell it?) or the different chemicals, THCV, CBN, CBD etc... can cause paranoia or anxiousness? The closest medical symptom I could find to relate to you how some strains make me feel is a "sense of impending doom". the co op around my area says to avoid THCV and go for CBD, but I havent found anything about that online besides THCV is more prominent in sativa upper strains and CBD in heavy couchlock indicas? thanks for helpin me out

4. Indicas are more often recommended for chronic pain and IBS, wheras sativas give you more of a racing heart which might lead to paranoia in your case. You should get a heavy indica for night and a hybrid during the day. That is just my opinion. Paranoia is probably a trial and error thing, but keeping your heart rate slower would probably help. Also, CBD is higher in the indicas.

Good luck & Happy toking,

Sammy

5. I personally think that paranoia is just fear of getting caught or someone finding out, etc. When I was younger I was always afraid of getting busted. And guess what.... I did. Know I don't do it in front of parents we talk about it from time to time. Anyways I wasn't paranoid when smoking since, because if you get caught you get caught.

Since you are a patient or whatever whats there to be paranoid about? Unless your really, really, really, fucked up I wouldn't be worried. If you see someone shooting at your bush in your front yard with a magnum call the cops!

6. Cough strains were bred to be anxiety-free

7. I once read about a weed tincture(the base would be alcohol,glycerin or a combo of both) used by one to relieve their headaches, maybe if you have some spare bud, a bored afternoon and some inspiration you can make one for a smoother ROA that would be calmer and easier to adjust to.

I would also recomend using some sedative herbs like catnip,passionflower or green tea before toking to help be at ease when high. ::smoke::

good luck

8. You need strains that still have CBD in them! CBD does not get you high, but mellows out the THC high.

Opposite Effects of Delta-9-Tetrahydrocannabinol and Cannabidiol on Human Brain Function and Psychopathology. (abst - 2009)
    Unbound MEDLINE | Opposite effects of delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol and cannabidiol on human brain function and psychopathology. Journal article

Cannabis makes a precursor chemical that is changed into either THC, or CBD, or a mix of the two, depending on it's genetics. Our regular smoking strains have been bred for THC production, and CBD has been all but eliminated. Lack of CBD sets off panic attacks in some folks.

There are high CBD strains "in the pipeline"- NORML just had an article-

New Strain Of Medicinal Marijuana Announced | NORML Blog, Marijuana Law Reform

If I were you, I'd look for cheap cannabis- schwag! "Quality" cannabis has had all the CBD bred out of it- you need stuff with CBD, which the THC lovers think of as "poor quality" since it doesn't get you high! This is one case where the cheap stuff is actually better for some medicinal uses!

Granny :wave:

9. The strain from my last grow has a very calming relaxing feeling
    no heart racing, no nervousness, no anxiety whatsoever...

I felt as if i was in a spa/sauna.. very relaxing and pleasant to smoke
    and within a half hour, i would feel so relaxed i would end up taking a power nap.

The strain came from nirvana's seed bank, called swiss cheese

Look at my thread to get an idea of what to expect.

Very relaxing, great for pain, and it makes you fall asleep without problems

I recommend it

10. I hate to bump such an old topic but I'd like to know if you recommend those pure indicas or just poorly grown sativa? I'm hoping to grow my own soon just because I'm sick of the black market but I'm not sure on what sort of strains/growing techniques I'd like to use.

I assume I've been smoking indicas lately (from descriptions of the high) and while sometimes I enjoy them othertimes (usually if i smoke too much or am in a bad mood) I have negative thoughts that spiral a bit. 95% of the time I was able to just adjust my mood and get on and have a decent high but I felt like it kind of ruined the whole experience a bit.

My understanding is that sativas are much more uplifting and clear headed? But the strains I've been reading about all seem to be offering too much THC.

Am I safer to go with pure(or very strong) indicas? Or should I try a lighter sativa strain?

Again, sorry to bump this old topic I wasn't sure if I should PM you or post it here but I figure that more people will read it here.

11. The Budtender Answer
    High CBD

Stoner to Stoner Answer
    Check out Leafly for strains specifically mentioned for anxiety. Something light like Blue Widow, Maui Waui, Bubba Kush

12. Blueberry
    Blue Dream
    Most kush strains

13. are marijuana strains hybrids or GMO?

14. Paranoia is in your brain man. Changing strains won't make much of a difference. Get over your fears.

15. It's a rather complicated issue-- There's a very well-documented linkage of the paranoid susceptibility to the brain's basolateral amygdala and also to a particular allele of a gene called the Catechol-O-Methyl-Transferase.

I've been studying marijuana induced paranoia for about six months now. Wrote a book about it-- www.paranoidhuman.com

check out our facebook page fb.com/makesmeparanoid

Good luck