Flower Sermons 3rd Grow with CFL's

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by FlowerSermon, Apr 10, 2010.

1. #1 FlowerSermon, Apr 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2010
    Well after my first succesful grow it is only natural I kept it going. I got a tad more than 20 grams dried of some high quality white widow last time, that produces a great high. Pretty active high, only a slight bit of couch lock. I think I could have done a better job on several steps, mainly letting it dry another 2 or 3 days to get rid of some harshness, but I am very happy with the finished product.

Since the harvest though, I have had some mishaps. I germinated 2 more white widow seeds, both of which failed to sprout. I think they may not have sprouted because I planted them in cold soil. I thought I did that last time, so I may have just gotten lucky the first time.

Then to make matters worse, when I realized they did not sprout, I decided to germinate 2 more white widow seeds, however when I was taking the seeds out, one slipped out of my hand and down the drain. I wish I were making that last sentence up, seeing as that was my last seed of the white widow. Luckily I found one seed in some dank I had a month ago, so I was able to use that seed instead.

Now today is day 1 for the new WW and the bagseed. My goal assuming the bagseed is a female, is to beat the bud it came from (which was heady but poorly trimmed). However if it is a male, I may try and save the pollen, as then I could use it on either the widow or another dank strain i may buy in the future.

Anyway, I'm using 18 Liter pots, 2 45 watt 6500k cfls currently, but will double that once they sprout. I plan to use about 180 watts for veg and about 285 for flowering. I know this is the same as I used for one plant last time, but I think my light setup can support 2 plants now that I have the small lamps to go on the side from the start. I think the lower branches being exposed throughout flowering to light will increase my yield significantly.

I know I have been lacking in the city lately, but now that I am getting back into things I should be here more often. Hope your all doing well, and thanks for the ongoing support. Hope your all gearing up for 420!

2. Alright so my bagseed sprouted today, I'm still waiting on the WW to sprout. If it doesn't sprout that means I will will have a 25% germination rate from the feminized white widow from seedsman seeds.....not good. While the other 2 that didn't sprout could possibly be from cold soil, I can't see any reason why this one would not have germinated.

Does anyone have any seed reccomendations based on experience with a very high germination rate? I don't want to waste my money on seeds that don't sprout!

3. I just made my first post for this grow check me out, thanks.

4. Can we see some pics of the cured last harvest???

5. Nirvana's White Widow went well with me, however, I ended up with 3 males and a female. Just what I needed to make seeds. The plant produced awesome weed and great seeds. In all fairness, some of his other standards grew even better to recommend a few. White Widow, ICE, and Papaya.

6. I tried the soaking in a cup of water method. Feminized chrystal by Nirvana purchased through www.sensibleseeds.com . I soaked two seeds and in 12 hours both cracked open with a small tap root showing, immediately moved seeds to peat moss pucks until they brake ground.

7. Alright, I will post some bud pics from the white widow in a few hours. Big problem though. My last WW seed didn't sprout, and my bag seed that did looks like it died. I attached a pic of the sprout I think is dead, to see if maybe you guys know if maybe it isn't dead and I can rejuvenate it.

For some reason the soil seemed to get light brown and kind of "crusty" overnight and the result was a keeled over sprout. I gave it about .75 Liters of water like 3 days ago, and the soil was still moist if I stuck my finger in so I didn't think it needed more water.

WHAT IS HAPPENING TO ME! This is 4 seeds in a row (5 if you count the one I botched when it was still a seed) that haven't worked out for me.

I still have one LA Woman bean that came with my order of the WW, it looks like I have no choice but to germ it and give it a go. I need to order more beans as well. This next attempt, I will enter every detail of everything I do here on a daily basis, as even though I can't track anything I've done wrong, it seems maybe the karma from GC may have been what helped my WW grow so well.

I'm leaving the sprout be in case any of you have some wisdom as to how I can revive it. Germination and bud pics to come later.

Attached Files:

8. Bud pics to come in a little bit, but I am not a happy camper right now. After my sprout died today (I'm pretty darn sure it's dead), I decided to try and germ my LA woman bean. However she literally sunk to the bottom immediately. Pretty sure this means it's no good, however I will let it sit for 3 days and see if the taproot shows.
    I got these seeds in November, is it possible that my seeds went bad? I kept them sealed up in the cabinet under my sink in my bathroom.

I think I will order some more seeds from Attitude, most likely Nirvana or Barneys Farm, as they seem to be the most reliable. Anyone know more about the possible 420 sale, or have any reccomendations as to what seeds to order, or other tricks to ensure a very high germination rate! I'm tired of my money/time going towards nothing!

9. anything new?

10. The LA woman plant didn't germinate. New beans on the way, and I am debating purchasing a HPS light. I can get a good 400 watt bulb with a ballast for about $160. I feel like that would do very very nice for a 2 or 3 plant setup.

11. I am very pro CFL. But I am thinking about selling out and getting a 150-200watt HPS myself:p.

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-g...l-cfl-tent-grow-feminized-chrystal-wwxnl.html

12. Alright my beans are in. Tomorow I am germinating 1 Honey B, 1 Blue Cheese and 1 Red Diesel, all courtesy of Barneys Farm. Should be rolling in no time!

13. Well the three seeds have sunk and my lights should be coming today! I have jiffy blocks that I will plant the seeds in at first, and then smart pots that I will let them sprout in for the begining. I think maybe starting them out in the large pots may have been a problem, so I will start them out in the small smartpots and then move them once the roots develope a little.

I also bought a second higher quality fan, and will make my air circulation much better in the closet. Having poor air flow may also have been a problem with my last attempt, and more air certainly can't hurt.

I'll post some pictures when I have my new setup ready to go.

14. sweet dude, I cant wait

15. Yeah the delivery guy is on his way currently with my light setup. I think these jiffy blocks will make damn sure my seeds germinate.

I think for the first week I am going to use CFL's, and then switch to the HPS light, simply because I don't think the sprouts will use all the light, so I don't need to use 400 watts right off the bat. I also want to make sure that my ventilation system works well before I introduce a crazy ammount of light.

Hopefully things will be in full swing soon. It's been very wierd not having plants the last little while. Although the white widow is still smoking well.

16. Just put the Blue Cheese seed into a jiffy block. How long do I leave the seed in the jiffy before I stick the jiffy in a smart pot?

I am doing this to test how the jiffy works. I will try the Honey B seed in the jiffy as well and the Red Diesel will go straight into the smart pot.

So I got my HPS light/ballast/reflector and a nice intake fan. Only thing is I am not sure exactly how to hang it. It came with a long chain that came with 2 hooks and 2 sort of hooks. I may need to get the camera out to ask you guys for help. I feel kinda silly for not knowing how to install this light.

17. Well it's been a while since I've updated. I have been very busy, and wasn't sure whether or not to keep a journal for this attempt. But I figured I'd show you guys what I have so far for your viewing pleasure, and see if you have any comments/suggestions.

Quite a bit has changed since my last update. The climate where I'm at is very hot and dry at this time of year, so I have had to battle intense temps and low humidity. I bought a thermomiter at a local hydro shop that measures temps and humidity. I beefed up my fan system to having 2 small fans directly on the plant, as well as a stronger fan for exhaust that is located near the door, however I was unable for reasons beyond my control to cut a hole in the door for exhaust (which is a shame). I believe the heat/humidity combined with a lack of air flow at the time was what killed all those seeds/sprouts for me.

Of what I planted, the only one that survived the intense conditions was the red diesel. I decided to stick it out with CFL's until the last 6 weeks of flowering, as over the summer I may have a 2 week span where I will need to entrust my roommate with the garden, and I worry the HPS bulb may cause heat stress and would rather be able to deal with it myself.

I vegged the diesel from 5/4-6/16. She grew slower in vegg because at the early stages of her life, the humidity was still not under control, so she struggled to survive. At about the 2 week point when I transferred her from her starter pot to the 20 Liter pot she took off. I decided since last time I got just under 21 grams from one plant, that I would top her twice...which has turned out great! I also introduced the 2 CFL lamps into my setup during veg, so the lower branches would grow bigger than last time.

On 6/16 I switched the lights at 6:30 AM to 12/12, meaning today is my 7th day of flowering. She has already started growing some white hairs. Since I have started flowering at 280 watts including the two lamps, I should have a higher yield than last time where I started with 130 and gradually increased. Especially because instead of flowering for 8.5 weeks, I plan to flower for 12 weeks, as diesel strains supposedly gain a lot of potency in weeks 9-12. Additionally I bought bio-bizz top max, a bloom booster which I will introduce in small doses the next time I fertilize.

Lastly, I have been able to make my 21 grams of white widow last me. While I never admit to people it is my own flowers, I have gotten rave reviews, especially because around here it is hard to find good chron. It's always nice to see people enjoying the fruits of your labor. Since it has been my only bud, despite harvesting it in early april, I still have a tad less than a gram left. I am able to get away with smoking .025-.05 of a gram per bong hit, and get a great high. I am very happy I decided to shoot for quality over quantity, as now a tiny bit goes a long way.

Enjoy the pictures,
    Day 50 since germination (day 7 of flowering)

Attached Files: