Burping Questions [Jar Curing]!

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by ash417, Apr 5, 2010.

1. I've begun the process of jar curing my harvest, and I have a few questions.

First off, what should the RH be while the jars are open? How high of humidity is too high while I'm burping?

Also, how often should I burp, and how long should I leave the jars open each time? I know different people do it different ways - I guess I'm looking for advice from people who have experimented with different methods and found something that works well for them.

Last off, is it okay to have ambient light when I burp and stir my jars? During the day I have my blinds closed, and at night I have a 75W incandescent light pointed at the ceiling. How much light is too much light?

I have another question regarding drying. I keep finding tutorials that state that buds are done drying and ready to cure when the stems snap. I'd bet my bottom dollar that all my buds are dry, but the thicker stems are still bending. I've already jarred the popcorn - I'm waiting on the tops and medium sized nugs now.
    I'm erring on the side of over-drying this time around because I had some issues with bud rot at the end of flower. I'll keep waiting for the stems to snap if that's what I need to do, but I don't want to end up with super harsh nugs.

Big ups to those who have gone before and are willing to share their experiences...

2. if you do a quick search you'll more than likely get a few answers to your questions.With regard to burping i've READ that twice daily does the trick.

I may also be wrong on this but it's probably not a good idea to start curing if the stems still not fully dry as that means moisture and moisture is going to lead to mold.

3. On my last grow, I had the ladies hanging for 7 days, the buds were very dry to the touch, but the stem were still a bit bendy. I trimmed off the buds and jarred them.
    I burped my jars once everyday for about 10-20 mins.

It came out great, if I could have kept it around longer(smoked it hard) it may have been even better.

Got about a week before cutting down my next batch and plan on doing it the same way.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I would be interested if its any different than cigars which is 68 to 72% R/H @ 70f I believe.

5. #5 Drivenone, Apr 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2010
    Buds generally are cured before drying.

You can also dry and cure at the same time. It's called, slow drying, or slow curing. After harvest hang the buds for 2-3 days. Next put them in jars. Let the bud remain in the jar 24 hours. The will feel wet. Let the buds air dry cure for 24 hours. Replace buds back into jars and repeat the process daily until the buds are feel dry. When the buds ar no longer moist to the touch, you begin burping the jars.

This mainly is to prevent mold and fungus from forming on stored buds that were still too moist when jarred. Another week of burping help allow the moisture remaining in the buds to sweat out and be removed by daily 15 minute air cures. This is said to be the sure fire method to prevent the degradation of the THC.

Other cures that take place right after harvest, are Sun Cure, flue cure and air cure. A fast cure will cause the smoke to be harsh.

6. How many days did you burp