NORML Freedom Card, Know and Understand Your Rights

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by IndianaToker, Feb 17, 2005.

1. I think this shit has a high potential to work. Think about it .. the less you say the less he can suspect or uncover from yo shitfaced ass. Anyways, just give him the least attention possibly. Don't carry on conversations. Don't be rude. and dont make much eye contact if any. So if you give them this and keep yo trap shut you'll have a much better potential when the case is reviewed or you go on trial. Your atourney will know whats best and you can almost start fresh right there... They might not even have anything on you , because there was nothing to report at the crime-scene

2. where can you get stuffed laminated

3. The main thing is to be POLITE. Don't be copping an attitude. Don't answer any questions except your name and address. Anything else, just politely decline to answer unless your attorney is present. Don't consent to any searches. Don't acknowledge knowing about any "contraband" that might be found. A good lawyer will get things thrown out, just don't run your mouth!!!!

4. The point of this card is to use it when you are in a shitty situation. It will give you good grounds to get any evidence they illegally find tossed out or just sue them for violating your rights. They can and will do a "terry search" for anything that could harm them, meaning they can search you or any spot you have access to when they stop you unless you present them with that card or just say you invoke all your rights. If you dont do that and start answering questions thats implied consent and they will search you or get a drug dog. It would all depend on the situation, they can always try and do whatever they want but that doesnt make it lawful.

5. The thing about it is, for cops, there are ways to get around our rights..for example..suppose you say "No I do not want you to search my car.". If they suspect you have drugs, they will alot of times call a drug dog. If the drug dogs smells something in your car, your rights no longer exist and the act of a search is no longer "unreasonable".

Just something I always think about. Dont mean to be a downer.

6. Will this actually work?

and has anyone ever used it before?

7. Its nothing special, just a card that says your rights. If you know your rights, all you need to do is tell the officer that your invoking all of your rights.

8. If you show this card to a cop he's going to immediatly call a k-9 unit haha we need a lawyer to respond here. My question is can the cops still call a k-9 unit even if you have refused to a search?

9. has any body used this? if so did it work?

10. I know that a K-9 would give them reason to search the car. I police officer would need to have some sort of proof that you are hiding an illegal substance. Usally tied into his senses(seeing and smelling and such). An officer suspecting that you are hiding anything isn't enough reason, therefore they are unable to legally search your person if you just give them this card.

And I agree that giving this card will spark a flame under the officer and get him rather angry. But if you're hiding something why just sit there? Atleast this card tells the officer, "hey, I know my rights. Don't treat me like a stupid criminal. You are unable to take advantage of me."

11. Does this include if a K-9 unit is called in and they "find" something, does that give them authority to search a trunk, or do they still need a warrant from a judge or some such?

12. this all sucks for me - i got my car from my parents and it constantly reeks of weed - that's just the way the car smells. that means a k-9 would smell it all over. the formaldahyde in the seats absorbed the smell - that means - i think - they could shred my entire car - find nothing - and never compensate me. :(

13. I think the whole point of this card is to know what rights to invoke if and when the situation calls for it. Don't break it out if you're getting cited for a broken taillight. Save it for when the cop asks why your eyes are so red! Also, I wouldn't be expecting that invoking your rights will be a get-out-of-jail-free card; it's just supposed to make the cops and the courts play it by the book.

14. Norml Canada member card...

Attached Files:

15. Thank your for the Card.

As a cop my older brother would gladly, happily and smugly tell you that 99% of the people he arrests simply do not know their rights. Period. From my brother's view, when he pulls you over for anything you are essentiall his "bitch"... and I'm quoting him directly. He knows that you DON'T know your rights and as far as he's concerned that gives him Carte Blanche to fuck with you.

This card would stop a cop like my brother cold in his tracks. Th truth is he's a cop and as such, he really doesn't know what people's rights are any more than you or I. He's so used to being allowed to what he pleases during an arrest that would essentially put him on his best behaviour. I have no doubt he would need to continually reference this card during the arrest just to make sure he's doing everything correctly.

16. you would be better of to try and remember the most of what the card says. If you can say it w/o a card it would make you seem more educated about your rights and would in most cases turn the cop away. if you hand him some little card, he's gonna think your some retarded stoner who has no idea what's up and will probably continue to question you or try and trick you into saying stuff...or it'll just piss him off.

17. I have a feeling if I was asked about marijuana possession or use when pulled over and I whipped out this card and handed it to them..they would laugh in my face and tell me to get out of the car.

I don't understand why people think if you have this card, they won't search your car or hassle you. This card would be basically a confession to having illegal paraphernelia or marijuana in the car with you, Why else would you go silent and just hand them this ? This seems to me to be a dead on give away.

Like others have said the best thing to do is stay calm and be polite. Don't have a chip on your shoulder when you talk to him and also take simple precautions, I mean how hard is it to have an extra bottle of cologne in the car and a bottle of eyedrops. Put in eyedrops and spray a little cologne on you and there is no reason to want to search your car. But when it comes down to it, a policeman will do exactely what he wants and you won't say shit about it. If you do, you'll get beaten with a nightstick or tazed.

18. I'll be printing this out more for memorization purposes than to actually carry it. In the same topic of how to deal with cops, I have been seriously considering adding a hidden camera to my car. I've experienced, and heard too many stories where cops take advantage of people and step over the line just because they know it will be your word against his if it goes to court.

Also found this video to be informative...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yqMjMPlXzdA

19. It is true that it might make them a little suspicious, but the way the law works if they are just basing it off the assumption of being handed that card that you have illegal substance/paraphernalia in the car and in turn proceed to search your car that is a huge standard for throwing out your case. (Which in that case the card really did it's trick) Basically the card is being used so you don't self-incriminate yourself and gives your lawyer more grounds to get your case thrown out if you happen to get caught and have to go to court. It's not an admission of guilt or anything by any means. It's just a card stating your constitutional rights.