I'm ashamed to call myself an "American."

Discussion in 'Politics' started by thirdworldarmy, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Shit, I applied for Canadian citizenship when I was 18. 21, and I still dont have it.

Not a lot of people can leave without certain permissions. I mean the only true way of doing it fast, is to fly there, and just stay.

Then some countries wont let you get out. Anyone who wants to move to another country, is completely dumb without checking it out. Its pretty much a permanent move, as getting a residency back in the US is going to be a huge process, with a lot of time.

2. Did you possibly commit any crimes that would give them a reason to rethink letting you leave?

3. hey, if u dont like america get out! simple as that i know our government aint perfect but the american way is the way!

4. No, I am as clean as a whistle. I have no prior, or pending convictions. I mean a couple of no vehicle inspection tickets, thats all.

Its not as easy as you think. Other countries wont really give you a right to live their unless:

You have family there
    You have a job there
    You have a job which has jurisdiction in both countries.

Aside from that, saying I want to move to Canada, is a lot harder then saying I am moving to Alaska, or Cali.

5. For sure it is a pretty difficult to move to another country. You can't just get up and go. You have to first secure a job and then apply for citizenship...which isn't a guarentee just because you apply.

I'd like to leave the U.S. definately, this place is a madhouse, the government so corrupt. We have 800 U.S. military bases around the world. We still have aboout 50,000 troops stationed in Japan, mostly in Okinawa. If i had the choice to just get out of this country right now, I'd pack my stuff and go. But, unforunately, it's not easy. You have to find a good job, and then apply for citizenship.....this process takes time..

If citizenship and jobs were that easy to find, why wouldn't all of GC move to Amsterdam? Hell that's where I'd be right now if I could. But the point is that citizenship isn't just application and receiving the citizenship.

6. "What the military does is sometimes questionable?" .... More like always?
    in the 1980's the U.S. under Reagan supplied the Afghan muhajideen with weapons, ammunition, and money to fight off the Soviet Union. Reagan even proclaimed: "The freedom fighters of Afghanistan are defending principles of independence and freedom that form the basis of global security and stability"

We all know now that this surely isn't true. The very same group of people who our own President claimed as 'freedom fighters' is the same group of people who gave sanctuary to Al Qaeda. Osama bin Laden would then plot the 9/11 attacks as his holy war.

And you say the cost is necessary... We still have 50,000 U.S. troops in Japan. And we have 800 U.S. military bases around the world. This seems more like an offensive nation ready to pounce on anybody, or anybody whom the U.S. can exploit for natural resources than a military security based on defending itself against totalitarianism.

7. #47 dumped43, Feb 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2010
    to all the people who are saying "if you don't like it get out"... its not that we want to overthrow the government or something. there's just so much shit that is going on as of late that should not be. and there's nothing ANYONE can do about it. for example, the "war on drugs", the "war on terror", bank bailouts, shit car company bailouts, the "patriot" act, the list goes on.

and now the government fears of "domestic terrorism" since the irs plane crash, and soon all of our liberties are going to be stripped for our safety and the good of our country, no privacy, censorship, etc.

we dont want unreasonable changes, and this is our country too. im not asking for anything unreasonable to change. really. i want this to be the country i call home. because i do otherwise like it here.

also: i read that our defense budget is somewhere around 1 trillion dollars a year, while our education budget falls just under 80 million a year. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT PICTURE. WHOS POCKET DOES THIS TAX MONEY COME OUT OF? why are banks that just got bailed out giving huge bonuses out? that was my money, and your money, and his money. that we bust our asses for.

our country is really "for the politicians, by the politicians"

i think this video would also be appropriate for this thread:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akm3nYN8aG8&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- AMAZING SPEECH BY WAR VETERAN[/ame]

8. i dont really want to discuss this since i dont know a lot about it.

i dont think war and violence should happen but it does.

9. It kills me you you people like to complain about America, because you can't get something for free. (That's some funny shit)!

And just how do you suppose we pay for all the free shit? Here's an idea. Do what I did when my 2 kids were growing up. I taught them how to play guitar. There as always music in the house. The youngest also took piano lessons, which I was happy to pay for. I coached my kids in little league baseball, and was happy to do it. We even had to buy gloves, bats, balls, and such. I never thought about getting any of that shit for free. I just felt it was my responsibility to help nurture my kids, and allow them to choose a path in life. I think God every day that I live in a country that allows that.

The way I see it, people like you, with all the, "why can't I have free shit" mentality, would be better off somewhere else. :wave:
    When you get to Cuba, China, Europe, Africa, or some place else you would like to move, please get back with me. :D

10. come to canada we got solid bud.:smoke:

11. Banks got bailed out because if they fail, the whole economy fails. Those banks were too well interconnected with other companies, so if the banks fail, those companies fail too. That would've destroyed the economy. Think the economy is bad now? We would've been in deep depression if we didn't bail them out and a lot more people would've been shit outta luck.

PBS Frontline - Inside the Meltdown

But, I do find that school budget is complete bullshit. My HS last year couldn't afford paper for copies for the students, so my teachers had to "steal" paper from the school office. WTF!?

12. #52 dumped43, Feb 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2010
    the problem is the banks are not spending their money wisely, and never will. and you are all okay with it cuz "that's how it has to be". no, it doesn't. but no one cares enough to make it change. squeaky wheel gets the grease.

edit: not to mention if you want to get a loan for anything its fucking OUTRAGEOUS. it used to be, cars and houses were affordable. now interest rates are through the roof with other small print shit and people are getting fucked. credit cards are a fuckin highway robbery now. and WHO is profiting off of this raping of the average hard working american person whos just trying to get by? those thousands of dollars,especially in interest, you might pay for your mortgage, or your parents, who's pocket does that ultimately go into again?

13. wtf interest rates are like the lowest theyve ever been right now.

and you know how you dont get fucked over with credit card debt? pay your bill.

and they are doing something about it google financial regulation reform or systemic risk regulation or whatever :eek:

14. Some banks saw that credit default swaps were safe investments, but obviously not. They fucked everything up, agreed. That's why I think Big Bro should monitor major banks' profits, and how they achieved them (Idk if this happened already or will happen- stopped paying a lot of attention after macroecon). In hindsight, what the banks and insurance companies did were fucking dumb as shit, but if someone was watching them closely, they wouldn't have invested so much into such risky investments.

That's why the economy is shit, and why we are in so much debt. WE didn't pay for the bailout, the Chinese did. We are just reimbursing them.

15. Have you ever known the US government to devise a program that actually works?? Before you say "why do you blame the federal government for _________", understand that before there was a federal program for something, there was a private program that worked better, in some cases, there's now a private program for a federal program that works better. There's a very good reason the federal government is considering giving school vouchers for kids to go to private schools rather than forcing people who send their kids to private schools to pay public school taxes for no reason at all.

Yes, you read that right... The Department of Education is currently working on vouchers to pay for private schools because everyone in every community, if they have kids or not, has to pay public school taxes... and many parents in the country don't think that's fair, considering they then pay three times as much to send their kids to private school to get a GOOD education.

The IRS is unconstitutional, direct taxes cannot be levied on the citizens of the United States of America... The Federal Reserve is bullshit, money from nothing is still nothing... We don't even have enough gold reserves to back up a dollar of the paper money that's floating around the world. Over the last 100 years, the dollar has lost 99% of it's cash value... yes, 99%... and you wonder why shit costs so much.

Every law that has been enacted that raises taxes, limits your individual rights, or says you can't do something that doesn't hurt anyone... is completely unconstitutional.... If it's not in the Constitution or in the Bill of Rights, it's bullshit.

Thomas Jefferson explains the general clause for the United States “[T]he laying of taxes is the power, and the general welfare the purpose for which the power is to be exercised. They [Congress] are not to lay taxes ad libitum for any purpose they please; but only to pay the debts or provide for the welfare of the Union. In like manner, they are not to do anything they please to provide for the general welfare, but only to lay taxes for that purpose.”

The above quote has been bastardized to the point of every congress laying more taxes for "the general welfare" when the only welfare they give a shit about is making sure people stay on it, and depend on their government... You want to send a message to your government? Stop feeding off the shit they provide... Go off the grid, stop taking government grants and food stamps... stop using government health care... stop doing anything that helps the government... Start using private health care... go to the bank for student loans instead of FAFSA, they still give better rates for students than personal loans... work your ass off to support yourself and your family, so you can afford to buy food.... pay the extra money for good, private health insurance in a PPO organization, instead of government controlled HMOs...

Millions of people can march on Washington for a cause, but nothing will be done about it if those people continue using the shit they are trying to get thrown out.

16. i disagree but i dont feel like arguing.

17. Europe is far more expensive, far more over populated, far too European, and France has higher tax rates. But fancy cigarette filters. and hey, they gave the world ZigZags. Its a toss up. I'd go there. Visit and see if you like it.

18. My idea is to fire half the politicians, half the cops, and double all their salaries, then make their training a lot more rigorous, thus hopefully weeding out all the dumbasses. In theory if the job is a lot harder to get, then only the best ones will come through. However in order for this to work they need to legalize weed cuz i dont want any supercops catching me. I also think they should put more criminals to work, if you raped and killed someones baby girl, the pride and joy of their entire life, why do they get the courtesy of a quick and painless death? (for this to work weed also needs to be legal :D and shrooms)

19. Totally man, aka The Union. Which is why i think i wanna start my own island.
    ^That totally just gave me an idea, what if every single person on GC pooled their money together and bought an Island! We could make weed legal and re-evaluate this whole gov't situation. And if there wasn't enough people on GC what was the recent statistic that I read on how many people smpke weed? Was it 50,000,000 people? Cuz if so that amount of people could easily buy an island ( a big one lol). Who else is up for buying an Island and naming the capital Grasscity??????

20. Dood, the pirates would just be liek "Look at those stoners! Let's rob them."

We might need guns, and shit.