Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

My first toke. Ever.

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by PlantofPleasure, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Hello guys and girls. :smoke:

Last friday i had my first green experience, with some snicklefritz weed that
    i got from a good friend of mine.

It was around 1.7grams or something like that. Not much, but enough for me anyways, as i figured im a newb to this etc.

So, last friday i stuffed around 0.2 - 0.3grams of weed together with some fine tobacco in a pipe of mine. Went outside for a walk, and toked once every five minutes or something like that. Was out for about 25mins.

I toked quite fast before going inside, so nothing would go to waste. ;)

After 30 mins i started to feel really relaxed, but then i suddenly felt
    "occward", i didnt pay attention to things my gf talked about, and i was feeling overall woozy. Which is kinda good :D

BUT, my heart started to race really fast, and i felt varm and suddenly cold, and i even got a bit shaky (not much but a little, just like when its nippy outside).

This made me go a little paranoid, and i was kinda afraid that i would pass out, die or whatever.. i've never felt this kind of "high" before, and i guess i reacted unfavorably to the buzz so to speak, because some minor anxiety-attack came right in the middle.

After 45mins-1hr i felt more relaxed though, and i felt quite good actually.
    Then after a little brief moment i decided to go and shop some candy.
    Couldn't help myself to be quite frank ;)

So that was my first high.. im being honest when i say that im a little worried for my next toking-session due to my minor anxiety-attack.. it wasnt a pleasent feeling there and then, but the racing heart, the cold-feeling and woozyness wore of after 30mins approx.

Anyone knows why i experienced this?
    Well it was my first time, i guess i made up expectations and was thrilled at the same time due to the fact that this was a "drug", and the high feeling was/is very new for me.

Maybe i should go easier on the toking next time? Any tips?

The weed i bought is a little sticky (and compressed) but it worked out fine with a knife as cutting-tool and it burned quite well - mixed with tobacco
    from cigarettes.

So i dont think the weed is to blame.. ? :)

Appreciate all replys, huge thanks in advance :D

2. Well congrats on your first smoke, next time don't put tobacco in it. The weed will burn fine without it, there's no need to ruin good with that shit in it, especially cigarette tobacco, if you MUST mix then you should at least buy a bag of handrolling tobacco.

keep smoking, you'll figure everything out eventually.

3. Next time you toke, if the anxiety comes up just remember that nothing is gonna happen, you'll be fine just like last time. :smoke:

4. doesn't really sound like you got truly high. you got the threshold effects of warmth/cold and some paranoia, which happens, but it doesn't sound like you really hit the unique "high" feeling.

I suggest smoking without tobacco. that shit is nasty, plus it interferes with the high. I wouldn't mix herb with anything else, especially if it's shitty herb. there probably just wasn't enough weed in there to get your high. just pack a full bowl of ganj. make sure to cut it up real finely too. take a small chunk, just big enough to cover the hole at the bottom of the bowl and not slip through, and put that in first as a "base nug"/filter. then throw a bowlful of more finely ground weed on top.

also, you shouldn't hit it every five minutes for a half hour. I mean, don't rush it, but you don't have to wait five minutes before hits... it only takes a few minutes to roast a bowl. take a hit, breathe in some extra fresh air, and hold it for a second. exhale, then take another hit when your lungs are ready for it again. be sure to breathe into your LUNGS! this is probably the most common mistake among novice smokers. you really have to breathe in with your diaphragm and get a real lungful of air. smoke in your throat won't get you high. get it deep into your lungs.

as for paranoia/panic attacks, I got those the first few times I got high, but now I never get them. and I had a problem with panic attacks when I was younger that I was on medication for for a short time, so I'd say that I'm prone to panic attacks in general. just remember, you will come down, and you will not be harmed/die. these are both completely impossible. there has never been a recorded case of anyone dying or not coming down.

good luck

5. Thanks for the great feedback.

I'll try to use pure weed next time i smoke.
    I will also consider using a joint istead of my pipe, always fancied smoking
    a good fat cone/joint of smellicious weed.

How do you guys recommend i toke it up? In what rate?
    I'm just a tad frightened that i'd might smoke too much to quickly, and that this will
    fuck me up, literally. :)

When you mention it, i dont think i really could identify the feeling i got as "a high".
    Was more like a small buzz, with dizzyness and minor nausea - accompanied with the racing heart and cold feeling that i experienced.
    This made me go (as i said) a little paranoid and triggered my minor panic-attack.

I wasn't smoking with someone who had the experience either, was just me and my gf, and she has never tried it. So i just had to lay down for a while and i felt anxious and not very well at all, for that small period of time.

So the tobacco mixture is something i should try to avoid? Ive heard it can interfere with the "high" earlier, but then again i was afraid i'd get too baked if i smoked the grass alone. It doesnt seem to burn that well either, its kinda wet.. not very, but ive tried to
    twist it apart with my fingertips, and that seemed to be hard. So i had to use a knife.

Ive also had a past with anxiety and panic-attacks when i was younger, not so much now anymore though. Used medication for this for like 5 months back in '05.

I can go into detail how i felt after smoking: (keep in mind this was around 0.2 - 0.3grams of weed mixed with tobacco) - in a timelapse:

1. The feeling of getting varm, a little more relaxed
    2. Getting a little dizzy, couldnt focus straight
    3. Getting cold, racing heart, anxiety starts to interfere
    4. Afraid of falling asleep, got sleepy, my eyelids got heavy
    5. Starting to feel more relaxed again and was urging for snacks, candy

But having this said, i would also like to mention that i really tried to "go with it"
    and i told myself that it wasnt a big deal, just a panic-attack.
    I know that a racing heart and change is blodpressure are common effects
    of smoking, and this could also explain my feeling of cold.

Aside of this i was, like i said very anxious and spooked out for a while,
    i guess this just fueled the feelings i already was having, making it worse (in my case) :)

Ive never been high before, so i didnt really know how to "notice" the high once it hit me, or how it should feel. So i cant really say either yes or no to me being high that night. Really not sure. :)

Ill try to smoke some more soon though, hopefully itll be better (?) hehe.
    Got around 1,2 - 1,3grams of weed left, should be enough.

6. ^ yeah you got the "threshold" effects. the nausea and dizziness are most likely from the tobacco. weed rarely causes nausea - in fact, one of the primary medical uses of the herb is for combating nausea. this is what most chemotherapy patients use it for. I really don't know how to describe the high to someone who hasn't experienced it, but you'll know it when it happens. don't try too hard to look for it, just let it happen. a gram should be plenty for two new timers. 3 decent hits, drawn into your lungs correctly, should be good. you shouldn't even need to use a whole gram.

they say some people just don't get high their first time, I don't know why. I've always generally thought that this was just people not inhaling correctly, but I've smoked with some people for their first time and they appeared to have done everything correctly, yet don't get high. don't worry about that, though. I'm personally skeptical of the whole "you don't get high the first time" thing.

7. Yeah I don't know about the whole not getting high first time thing being true either, I mean.. it doesn't make sense at all honestly. Unless, you aren't inhaling of course. Anyway, smoking out of a pipe is perfectly fine.. just pack a bowl and smoke. Make sure you're getting a decent hit, inhale it and hold it in for a second, exhale. Good luck! Bout to go smoke me a bowl now :bongin:

8. ya what they said hold it in for awhile. Also drink plenty of water it helps level out your high if you overdid it or eating. sry guys IM BAKED! lol

9. Yeah I always used to find that smoking a mix of tobbaco and weed used to make my heart pound when I started smoking. Try it pure next time.

10. Getting high is all about bumrushing your system with THC. This means taking big, quick rips out of your pipe. Conventional wisdom says that coughing gets you higher; I can only attest that coughing means you're taking big enough hits.

The smoking method you chose (longer, prolonged hits) is good for a mellow high, but you miss out on the intense feelings that everyone who's been smoking for more than 6 months misses terribly.

11. #11 RepentYeNbelievethegospel, Feb 8, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
    DON'T smke tobacc, it's bad for you and taints the sweet bud.
    Also you smoked too much.
    Always prepare way before you actually smoke, get relaxed for a while, get settled in, have a drink and maybe a snack.
    Always stay hydrated during AND after smoking, this us very important-always have some cold water within reach.
    Having a light or healthy snack prior to smoking helps your blood sugar stay up(it can drop when you smoke and make you feel like shit).

Take just a couple of small hits, then wait 20-30 minutes, see how you feel and repeat until you have reached desired effect.
    NEVER hold smoke in your lungs for more then 5 seconds, it WILL NOT get you any higher, but it make you lightheaded and get oxygen deprivation. Holding in smoke any longer then that is only allowing them to absorb more tar.
    Remember that Cannabis has never hurt anybody and you won't be the first.

I reccomend you watch the documentary/movie The Union.
    Just go to Google video and search for
    The Union
    And it should be the first result. It's an AMAZING movie. Youwill be watching it more then once.:)

12. It was all anxiety bro and its what you put in your head everything will be fine happens to all of us the first few times we blazed

13. hehe I was reading a book about marijuana and it said first time users often don't get high because they have not yet learned to appreciate the subjective effects of the drug. To OP welcome! The best way I could describe being first time high is it turns you into a happy baby! Every old boring thing seems new and exciting and interesting and absurdly funny... At least this is how me and my friends felt. Also listen to music. I remember when I first started and I would get ripped and listen to jimi Hendrix and I could see the music when I closed my eyes! Oh and don't worry about the anxiety it happens to everyone when there starting out ( everyone I know) it's just because it's a totally mind blowing feeling that takes a little time to appreciate. Happy tokin man!

14. Thanks a bunch for all the feedback, it really eases my mind!

I also believe that i had some anxiety-issues when i smoked last friday, MOSTLY
    because i actually was kinda nervous about how my body and mind would respond to
    THC, and in general i was thinking like "well now i've taken a few hits, i hope i wont get superduper fucked up because of this, or get ill sideeffects" etc.

Its good to see that there are other newbeginners experiencing the same stuff,
    and im almost certain that my anxiety was triggered by myself, especially when i
    started to feel a little uncomfortable.

Like you guys say, next time ill toke (should be quite soon) i will surely
    sit down, relax and try to easy my mind and just chill out.
    Smoking in a stressed state of mind is probably not a good idea, especially
    for a newbie. :)

Im dl'ing The Union now, love documentaries, especially about weed.
    Ill watch it tonight for sure.

Ill also try and take a couple of hits, then wait a little while before smoking more, to
    see if i achieve the desired high, or if i should toke some more to get more baked. ;)

Good tips about keeping the bloodsugar up aswell, i felt like a friggin diabetic to be honest, i went cold, i got this "numb" feeling. Most likely because i didnt eat at all before or during the smoking-session i had at that time.

So, i should smoke pure weed, not mixed with tobacco..
    And i should probably just take one or two tokes and then chill out for a while to
    see what happens, before i do any more? Sounds wise to me, as i think i overdid the toking quite a bit last time.. i also kept my breath for like 5-6 seconds each time i toked, to be sure i "got high". But i guess 1-2 seconds is more then enough in general?

Thanks again for all the good support, really really appreciate it! :)

15. Sounds like you handled everything correctly the first time, and even figured out the golden rule ("just chill") on your own.

If you have the time/ability, sit down and watch some TV, a movie, listen to some music, or "hang out" with your girlfriend. All of these are excellent activities to help you chill and experience the high.

What kind of pipe do you use? If you have the means, pick up a chunky glass hand pipe. It's the stoner's standard and will never fail you unless you fail it (ie mishandling.)

16. Baaahhh i hate mixing my bud with tobacco for reasons just like this. I prefer a bowl and then a cig (ABC). You should try that next time, but congrats and keep tokin :smoke:

17. #17 PlantofPleasure, Feb 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2010
    Hehe yeah, i'd might consider buying a glass-pipe or something.
    Right now i use a "gandalf" looking pipe, shaped like the one he uses in the LOTR movies, just not as long. Its a wooden pipe.

Thanks ;)

I think i'd go with a glasspipe for next time, and perhaps a joint.

And then ill cross fingers and toes, and try to avoid an unpleasant high, and otherwise try to get a GOOD buzzy high.

Ill put all you guys' advices into action next time im going to toke, for real.

I just hope that the weed will burn properly.. its kinda sticky and seems like its a "little" hard
    to get it to light up properly without added tobacco. But i will surely give it a hearty try.
    How much would you guys recommend me to add into the bowl/joint?

18. Last time i used like 0.2 - 0.3grams, this isnt enough to fill a joint though.
    But a pipe does the trick i guess.. just dont know how much i should put in.

Anyway, its recommended to just take a hit or two and then chill for a while - to see how things go? :hello:

19. #19 RepentYeNbelievethegospel, Feb 8, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
    That is one reason why joints waste weed, you need to fill it with MUCH more then you need to get high.

Try to use as little as possible. You need to grind or chop the buds prior to smoking. Use a sterile pair of nail or cuticle scissors, I find they work best. And a sterile pair of tweezers to handle nugs. You can buy a nice glass spoon or Chillum for under 20 dollars.

Yes putting an alloted amount of time between hits helps to effectivly guage your level of effect.
    Just be careful and go slow, you will look more experienced if you know your limit and when to stop at it, then just smoking as much as possible without thinking about it just because others are doing it.

20. Okay thanks for the tips :)

Any recommendations concerning online shops selling pipes etc?
    And accessories?

I live in Norway, but i can gladly wait a week or two for delivery if the stuff is good :)