Is Marijuana Legal in Canada?

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by DMX, Jan 27, 2010.

1. I wish it was legal, but every freedom festival it feels like its legal. Can't wait only a few more days. :bongin:

2. [quote name='"hockeyman07"']

Can someone verify this? I have always read and thought they weren't THAT lean'ent?[/quote]

I am Canadian never caught but my brother and his friends got caught with some weed and a bong and they made them smash the bong the owner didn't want to and my brother smashed it over a Rock and stomped on the weed...\tanother time my friends older sister got caught with like 2 grams and they let her keep it

3. Until harper and his nazi regiem are no longer in power we are running full tilt backwards. Next up on the harper agenda, Womens voting; Should they have the right?

4. If you get caught with it here they won't do much more then take it away from you, but if you have like an ounce or a bunch of weed in different bags then you'll be in shit.

5. It sounds like many people are misinformed.

And you shouldn't be telling people "Oh if you get caught with weed here in Canada, the cops will just take it a smoke it." Because let's say people think that's the case and get caught by the wrong cop, they can be douches just for the hell of it. ALWAYS be careful.

And to the op, how do you google something so large and so obvious and not find an answer? Time to hone in on those search engine skills.

6. So I want to move somewhere I can cultivate Marijuana freely and enjoy my life with my brazillian beauty. I was thinking maybe Canada was the place..... but not looking so good. I guess I coudl move to California and try to get medical card...... but honestly would have preferred Canada =/... I have always heard good things about Canada and my mothers side of the family is from there. And not to mention the state I live in is not far from Canada. /sigh ......

7. You can just move to BC, Canada; close to the Vancouver area. Marijuana laws aren't really enforced if you don't cause trouble. Plus the healthcare is free.

8. Not just BC dude, it's like that everywhere haha.

9. How are things in ontario? That is not very far from where I am currently living.

10. Weed is still a warzone up here. But it seems to need more accepted each day. Still waiting on the R v Mernagh verdict.

11. what is the R v mernagh verdict going to accomplish? I will google it as well.

12. It's basically a constitutional challenge to prove that the current system does not work as most doctors either refuse to sign (they get educated by big pharma) or they charge insane amounts to sign.

13. Based what I read of wiki... it is possible that cultivation of MJ may become legal in Ontario?

14. 2011: R. v. Mernagh (Ontario Superior Court)

On April 12, 2011, Justice Donald Taliano found that Canada's Marijuana Medical Access Regulations (MMAR) and "the prohibitions against the possession and production of cannabis (marijuana) contained in sections 4 and 7 respectively of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act" are "constitutionally invalid and of no force and effect".[21] The government was given 90 days (until July 11) to fill the void in those sections, or the possession and cultivation of Marijuana would become legal in all of Ontario. This includes the non-medical use of the drug.[22]

The mid-July deadline was extended when federal government lawyers argued that current cannabis laws and regulations should stay in place until Ontario’s highest court could hear the appeal which took place on May 7th and 8th, 2012[23]. In granting the deadline extension, the Court of Appeal noted that “The practical effect of the decision if the suspension were permitted to expire on July 14 would be to legalize marijuana production in Ontario, if not across Canada.”[24]
    ....... so difficult for me to understand how the law is read at times.

15. Police don't really care as long as you aren't disturbing the peace.

16. Sounds like a nice "peaceful" place to live. :hello:

17. [quote name='"ewb"']

Police don't really care as long as you aren't disturbing the peace.[/quote]

Hwy cops (O.P.P.) are dicks, local cops just don't want you causing attention in public. Cops have told me flat out they don't care.

18. Is really the way it should be. What bothers me most about the cops here in the states.... and I know they are "doing there jobs" ..... most of the time I am thinkign ... don;t you have better things to do then harass people that are not harming others? I hate hate hate when peopel in authority try to control people..... Sounds to me liek the police in Canada have a decent idea about what freedom is about, maybe I am wrong.

19. I would say a good portion in Ontario don't care. Unfortunately though, it's the loudest dick's that make a name for everyone.

20. Ottawa and Montreal seem to be 420 friendly, just don't make a scene and you'll be fine.