Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Liquid marijuana drops?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Blingster, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Quick question for the seasoned veterans.

My wife just got her medical card today. She is not into smoking, but is searching for alternative ways to use her medical marijuana. while she was at her dispensary they offered her some liquid drops to put under her tongue. My wife agreed and they placed this a couple small drops of liquid in her mouth. She said that it tasted like marijuana. After about 15 minutes or so, she got a really bad headache from these drops.. She is now really shying away from mmj because of this experience. Does any one know what these drops were?

Sorry for the noobish question, but my wife and I have not been around pot for quite some time (7 years at least). I have done a lot of research, most of it here on GC. But up until now, I have not heard of a liquid like she described. I do not have my mmj card, so I was not allowed to be there with her. I would like her to give mmj another shot but right now she is suffering from a horrible headache.. Please help!!

2. The drops are called a tincture and are designed to be used sublingually (under the tongue). I've heard of patients that get too much getting a headache, so maybe reducing the number of drops might help?

The other option (if available at your dispensary) would be a tonic. That would be designed to be put in a drink (such as fruit juice).

Otherwise you have edibles (cannabutter or oil) but trying to judge how much is needed is problematic. From there you have vaporization which is smoking but without the harmful burning of material.

3. Awesome!

Thanks for the input.My wife said that lady put a couple of drops of two different flavors under her tongue.. so like 4 or so drops.. She didn't say that she got "High" off of the drops, or even a buzz for that matter.. so I'm kinda lost. she did say that she was gonna try an edible hopefully with better results..

She did get some Kush, and some Blue widow.. maybe I can talk her into smoking that. I have also been looking into vapes, but if this is something that she's not gonna stick with, I don't wanna drop a couple hundred bucks on one.

Thanks again!

4. also + rep to you for helping out:wave:

5. If these "drops" contained artifical flavors she may have been sensitive to the flavors/dyes.

6. She said that one of them was flavored with something.. I can't remember

How much THC is usually in a tincture?

Could it be the marijuana in the tincture that caused the headache?

sorry for all the questions, but I really am excited for my wife to be trying mmj. She has taken nearly every kind of prescribed pain killer out there.. she does not like walking into a doctors office and only be handed a script and being sent on her way. The mmj is a good way for her to manage her pain, and not use the narcotic pain killers.. I just hope that she can reap the benefits..

7. The strength of the tincture depends on the source material used in its preparation (bud, clippings).

I doubt the cannabis was what gave her the headache.If this was an alcohol based tincture she may need to add it to a hot liquid to allow the alcohol to evaporate. Tea works well. Straight alcohol under the tongue may cause vasoconstriction and headache in some sensitive individuals.

I have chronic pancreatitis and axonal neuropathy and, as a result, have taken pretty much every opiate painkiller known to man with limited success. I know where you are coming from on the prescription drugs. Your wife will probably need to experiment with cannabis to find the most effective means of ingestion and correct doseage for her ailment. She will also need to experiment to identify the most effective strain.
    Vaping is highly effective and easy to moderate the dosage-eatables can be somewhat overwhelming, if you're not careful.
    Hopefully she will smoke a bit :)
    Best of luck, and please, do not hesitate to ask questions.

8. Really recommend a vape, its very easy to control dosage. This video will be helpful

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9luNVYlT_E"]YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.[/ame]

9. If she likes it, the two of you get a nice vaporizer to use. If not, you get a nice vaporizer to use. I see no downside :)

10. There are recipes for tinctures in my updated "Granny Storm Crow's MMJ reference list". They are (mostly) pretty simple to make. The list is a sticky here at GC in the medical section. Tinctures can also be made with glycerin for those who wish to avoid alcohol. Glycerin tastes sweet, and doesn't burn your mouth like alcohol. You might want to make your own to avoid any impurities like flavorings, etc. You can find glycerin at most health food stores.

About the vaporizer, a Vapor Brother's Hand's free is a good bet. Under $150, quiet, small, and reliable. The ebay "look-alikes" are often junk- get the real thing! Vaporizers are much easier on the lungs than smoking. I have an asthmatic friend who had a lot of trouble smoking her meds. I let her try my VB, and 5 minutes later, we were ordering her one! :D

Granny :wave:

11. I can't thank you enough for all the great info you have provided.

Thanks for the imput on the vape.. I have asthma as well.. guess I need to pony up and buy one..