how many plants for a 600w hps?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by UncleNate89, Jan 4, 2010.

1. #1 UncleNate89, Jan 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2010
    Alright this is my first grow with an actual HPS lamp. my grow space is exactly 4'X4' and i have a 600 watt HPS. I am planning on doing a SOG grow and was wondering what a good number of plants for this light would be where i would not get diminished yields. thoughts, tips, advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

EDIT: I also got this seed out of some legit blueberry that looks like none i have seen before. It is really round and bloated. it is more of a tan color instead of the usual dark brown. has anyone seen this before and do you think it would germinate?

2. Hey bro, I use the SOG method aswell and I can tell you this, you will love this technique. The general rule for SOG growing is 1 plant per square ft., since your room is 4x4 then you have 16 sq ft of growing room, so you can put roughly 16 plants. Now to get more into detail, this rule is only for indica dominant strains. If you are going to use a sativa dominant strain then the rule is 1 plant per 1.5 sq ft.. I am asuming that you are doing a flood and drain table so if you are useing indica dominant strains then I would put them into a 3 gallon bucket, if sativa dominant then use a 5 gallon bucket. But I am sure there are people out there that dont use this rule but I have found that this works best for my strains and grow setup. Hope this helped:wave:

3. I am mainly concerned with the actual amount of light. would the amount of light produced by my fixture be enough to fully support the growth and flowering for, say, 12 plants?

4. I would personally recommend a 1000w light for that size of a grow space but unless you've got a light mover you wont beable to put them that close to the plants because of the temps a 1000w light puts off. Typically it depends on the hood you have for the light dispersal but a 4x4 grow area should be lit by a 1000w light. But all in all I dont see it being a problem, you will still get great results with a 600w light. To make up for the lack of light you can leave the light's on for 24/0 until you flower. That will give the plants more light.

5. Thanks for the help! very helpful.

any other opinions? and has anyone seen/used a seed like the one i described?

6. 4 plants in 5 gallon buckets not quite filled to the top.