Will A LAYER of Clay Pellets in soil increase pot drainage?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Footclan, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Im doing a passive hydro with a peatmoss soilless mix(sunshine mix#4) and i heard that if you mix clay pellets or rather put a Layer of clay in the middle that u can increase drainage in turn resulting in more frequent waterings/fertilzers with less chance of salt build up and nut lock up.......Anyone ever heard of this and/or played around with putting layers of clay pellets in a PeatMoss soilless type pot mix?? Also i heard you can put a layer of clay pellets on the very top soil to discourage flys and other bugs from digging around in the soil. Anyone ever heard this before too???

2. Hey mate. Have you heard of perlite? Its what most people mix with soil to improve drainage but also improve moisture and oxygen retention. Personally I wouldnt use a layer of anything on the bottom because I've found that once the roots grow into it, the medium tends to dry out which kills the roots as a result. goodluck mate.

3. i use a 10 gal pot and put about 2 or 3 " of clay in the bottom of mine :)

4. MIght have something to do with the really high temperatures in my location -_-

5. i put pea gravel on the bottom and mix sand with my potting mix and i have a hydro set up i am useing clay pellets and i have gnats in it :D

6. i use 3 or 5 gallon square pots with fox farm soil mixed with 10% perlite. i put a 2-3 inch layer of hydroton on the bottom, and i put a thin layer of sand on the top. the sand keeps pests from invading the soil;)

7. ya im already planning on adding extra peralite and yes my last grow i put rocks at the bottom and it seemed to slow drainage not increase it......but im wondering about putting them in the MIDDLE layer of the pot??