The BEST DIY EZ walmart carbon filter for MICRO grows Zen style.

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by bubbling, Dec 15, 2009.

1. I've made several of these over the years for the different boxes I build and this is still (imo) the best micro filter out there. I don't use any special high powered fans...just cheapo pc fans...cheapest I can find actually....and they do great. If your filter is restricting too much air you need to either clean the dust out of it or create a more efficient airflow by possibly rearranging fans or making intakes bigger.

The active air filters are a decent buy, but they won't filter nearly as well as the pencil cup filter. I have my active air plugged in the same room but it's just an extra precaution.

2. It just needs to be a real free flowing system..anywhere that the air is restricted will affect the temps. I think a few inch air gap should be fine...I always try to go for a few inches in between too. I both push and pull through these filters and it's important to make sure your intakes are nice and open, and the exhaust isn't getting bottlenecked anywhere.

Doubling up fans can help a ton..also adding a second filter works too. You can get so much airflow through these filters and have them still be effective. If you try to hook them up to a real powerful fan, you'll be pushing air through them so quick it won't have 'time' to filter the air.

I pull air through one filter using 2 pc fans and it can cool about 100w of cfl efficiently. I also have another set up with 3 filters each with their own fan and I'd say that set up can cool about 200w..I actually keep one of the fan/filters off. Smaller boxes that I've built with a single fan and filter setup can cool about 50-70w efficiently....and when I say efficiently I mean it will keep temps about 7 degrees below ambient. Keep in mind your box temps will always be based off your ambient temps. IMO getting 7-8 degrees above ambient is good, while only being 5 degrees over ambient is really good.

Also having foil or mylar can hold in alot of heat, while having white paint will have slightly lower temps. Make sure to also give you temperature tests several hours to stabilize because you need to wait for all the walls, soil etc to also change temps...also if it's an option, keeping the box closer to the floor or against a northern wall or corner can help too.

*the filter must be kept clear of dust as well. If it's dirty, vacuum it clean and add a prefilter made of polyfill or something like that to either the inside of the filter or to the intake.

3. Here's an idea for a high output modified version of this. Get panty hose for really large ladies (no offense to large ladies as they need lovin too), then go to the kitchen section and find 2 kitchen strainer bowls that fit inside each other, say an 8 and 10 inch strainer. With a little craftsmanship, attach this to the fan of your choice. In theory, this would be able to de-scent many more plants than the smaller pencil cup filter. If anyone tries this, please post results. I have one more week til flowering and will prob try the ona bucket to mask the scent. You could even try attaching the carbon filter fan to the ona bucket if neither provides sufficient scent control by itself. Happy growing

4. Would attaching a hosebeing a good idea with carbon filter sheets the exhause and crumbled in the tube then ending into the cup like this?

5. Saved for reference

6. also saved for reference

• Like Like x 1
  7. I have a question about it... Where should I install the filter? Inside? or Outside the grow?

I mean, the filter must be before or after the outtake fan?

COOLER INSIDE OR AOUTSIDE.jpg

8. Guys I found the micro grow solution of our dreams. Use drain strainers. They come in a pack of 3 different sizes for less than $3. They can bend and give a bit to make them more bowl shaped.

Attached Files:

9. Good job guys! I'll be trying this soon!

10. I’VE BEEN SEARCHING FOR THIS!!! THANK YOU!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

11. . You can use zip ties or some hardware stores have long heavy duty Velcro straps.

12. If your looking to make it cheaper. You can go to a dollar store buy most of the items for a dollar and just have to buy the carbon at any of the pet stores or Walmart. I’m just starting my own grow room and tent, so coming across this helps out. Thanks!

13. Who hides this from their wife?

I mean, I wouldn't have married mine if she thought she could tell me if I can or cannot smoke or grow some weed.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk