Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Can I tell my doctor I smoke?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by CuriousToker28, Dec 10, 2009.

1. I told my doctor and he was cool with it. I told him when I was 17 too and he never told my parents or anything. He just told me not to drink too much or move to hard drugs, which I completely agree with. If your doctor tells anyone, they can get sued and no one wants to be sued. What doctor in their right mind would risk their own well-being just to rat someone out?

2. thats because he cant.

my doctor has known since i was 15.

3. Look, its ok to tell him. Its not legal, but your medical records are private!
    And you cant get in trouble for it unless the cops catch u with stuff. or in some states, high

4. #24 CurtChronic, Dec 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2009
    You really don't know how health insurance works do you?

Parents can be told *IF* the doctor chooses to take the initiative to "help" you (as a minor).

Edit: I should mention that age and location can be a variable on doctor-patient confidentiality.

5. I told my doctor I smoke, and he did what pretty much very doctor will do. Advise against it, and then never mention it ever again.

6. I told my doctor that I smoke and he doesn't care at all. Its not really that big of a deal for your doctor to know.

7. just go to the doctor befor you get us all sick :mad: if your doctor ask you if you smoke then tell him the truth but i wouldnt bring it up just tell them you think you have broncitise and want to get meds to help the cough.

8. Please stop posting. All you're doing is confusing the OP.

Yeah, I'd like to see an insurance company refuse service to someone because of privileged information.

9. Yeah...you're right...nobody has ever been denied coverage because of previous medical history, similarly nobody has ever been denied coverage because of recreational drug use.

[/sarcasm]

Woman Dies After Being Denied Transplant Over Pot | Cannabis Culture Magazine

10. Ok well I wasn't able to go to my health center today and I'm glad I didn't because it seems like there is a chance that telling my doctor this may affect my health care. Now I am not taking anyones advice over anyone elses so please, noone freak out lol. When I go tomorrow if he asks I may just tell him that I am around ppl who smoke tabacco from time to time.. That should suffice.. correct?

11. Ok, your doctor will want to give you different things. He/she will give you a cough suppressant, aspirin, decongestants, and expectorants (to make you cough that shit up) and may give you an antibiotic, which is not likely as most bronchitis is viral. None of these really interact with mj too much. So, unless he tests your urine, its not worth telling him that you smoke, and may even be worth lying about it, as it will show up anyway on a urine-analysis. Don't smoke on those meds though, can possibly cause cardiac issues.

Or, smoking could cause your bronchitis, which is more long term and known as chronic bronchitis (kinda ironic i guess). If after you are treated, it does not go away, you need to tell your doctor.

12. No matter your age, theres this little thing called doctor-patient confidentiality. unless you are doing something that is SERIOUSLY dangerous or life threatening then its between you and doc. You dont need to say you smoke, unless you want him/her to know. Bronchitis is usually cuased by smoking(not weed, but SMOKE) so its not suprising.

13. after reading that article the whole issue is that she failed a drug test not that she told her doctor. I highly doubt any doctor is going to be Jason Smith and mark a check next to Marijuana. He is most likely just going to say .. O

14. my doctor knows i blaze because the same thing happened to me. i had a bad cough i thought was bronchitis and when i went to get checked i told her because thats relevant info she needs to make a treatment decision and you should be able to confidentially tell the dr anything thatll help them help you. but i dont know much about the private health care system south of the border, so im reluctant to call bullshit on the ppl who are telling the OP to keep his mouth shut because maybe its different in the states with hmos and shit. they do sound pretty evil.

15. Your doctor is sworn to strict confidentiality once you are of age.

You can basically tell him whatever you want.

I wouldn't tell him if you just murdered 10 babies and dumped then in the river, but, ya know....

Edit; Infact, it'd be rather unwise NOT to tell your doctor that you smoke. It could factor in to any future medical treatment you might receive, even other than that for your cough. Doctors need to know what you put in to your body in order for them to properly care for your body. For that reason, all my doctors have known I smoked since age 14.

16. yeah i saw nicotine free vs nicotine for pricing plans on insurance policies. But also, from experience, no doctor will ever be surprised anyone is taking or abusing anything.

17. Why not there's nothing that he or she can do about it, its your personal choice. They might not like the fact that you do tough shit, nothing they can do!

18. I have been to muiltiple doctor/health clinics for the same issue. Every single time I was asked if I smoke and simply responed occasionally. I was never asked to elaborate on what I smoke. The first time I went I was given a decongestent and anti biotics only. But the second time I was given some promethazine-codeine syrup also. The most important thing is to stop smoking for a week at least to let your body fully heal.

19. This, they do NOT fuck around when it comes to Doctor-patient confidentiality, like everyone else has said. They CANNOT tell anyone unless the harm aspect etc etc.