Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Why marijuana smokers cough up black phlegm and cigarette smokers do not:

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Phoggy, Nov 24, 2009.

1. I don't either. But I cough somethin up every time I smoke. I'm pretty sure the black shit is tar from tobacco as I've only seen it happen to blunt smokers.

2. Give it 6 months....Somebody is gonna do it lol

3. I was about to ask why I cough up black shit in the morning after big smoke sessions ...

4. lmao :D

5. I have been coughing up a lot of black shit recently too.

6. i have chronic bronchites, so i get it every year for like a month. just one hit clears my throat for about half an hour :smoke:

7. Every bong hit brings a fat lougie! What's up with that?

8. thank you for this thread just saved me from a bad high lol

9. Never smoked enough to the point where I'd cough up black mucus.

Even if I did, I pretty much use a vaporizer 65% of the time or joints/glass the other 35% of the time.

10. Ive never couged up anything even close to the color black after smoking weed. I spit a tooon of flem when I smoke, that must be why its not in my lungs reeking havoc.

11. been smoking blunts all day for quite awhile now and i've never seen any black phlegm or anything... i do exercise all the time though so that might make a difference

12. makes sense to me, I tried cigs when I was a teenager and they make me cough on inhale and make you have the worst nausea in your stomache, and dissyness....horrible feeling plus you smell like shit and it bothers my lungs, and I use to have bronchitis bad in my younger age.

But when I smoke some dank, I never cough when inhaling it and its the best feeling ever....was always wondering why that was, now I know the answer. Good shit man, another plus for MJ and hopefully one day it will be legalized in Texas so I can start toking it up again like I use too...just too much risk with a kid in the picture and a wife.

13. I coughed up phlegm? wat.

14. Iv been smoking for about 3-4 years now cigarettes and weed everyday... olny recent iv been coughing up large amounts of black stuff... its kinda worrying.

i was thinking if i bought a vapour, stop smokin cig's and just smoked through my vapour would it help clear my lungs out ?
    its gettin 2 a stage where every cough is making me cough black/grey mucus up...

and im only 18 :mad:

15. I've had dirty shit in my phlegm til I got a carbon filtered bong

no more coughin up black phlegm. Def. not as cleans as a vape, but worth it IMO.

16. i just got paid so im gonna spend a bit on a nice vape try quit smokin cigs
    respiratory problems run in my family so im not gonna take any more chances

But that filter looks sweet but id be sceptical that it filters some THC aswell

17. because the nicotine and tobacco smoke is still doing so much damage that the lungs wont cleanse themselves

bud increases the blood flow which as we all know helps wounds heal faster and just make us healthier as a whole faster

smoking is bad, fortunately, the bad is coughed up promptly

18. My take on this is....IF you smoke ANYTHING, you get carcinogens sticking to your lungs. So if your smoking a lot and not coughing up anything, then shit's staying in your lungs. However if you're coughing up that black shit that means your body is taking measures to get it the fuck out your system. Not just let it cake up. Still would like to cut back so I don't cough this shit up as much.

19. I've recently been coughing up some black phlegm, and am so pleased to have found this thread. I've noticed anytime I have a vacation greater than a week I tend to smoke way too much and the result is the black stuff. However this makes me realize it's not necessarily a bad thing (as other sources which reference only tobacco smoke would have you believe). It also gives me another piece of informational weaponry to shove down the throats of my acquaintances that try to tell me smoke is smoke and weed is bad.

20. Wow, definitely good to know. The phlegm can be a little offputting sometimes but this is really enlightening.