Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Coughing too much? Bong Tips! Try these:

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Sublime21, Nov 19, 2009.

1. While coughing seems to be a necessary component of smoking marijuana, it can become very aggravating for some, I know it has been for me... Coughing so hard it feels like an aneurysm in imminent... In my months of smoking I have come across a number of solutions to lessen the likelihood of coughing.

The classic, put ice in the bong. Ice in the water doesn't seem to do nearly as much as ice in the tube, so either drain as much water as you can, and fill it all full of ice, or try my next suggestion in conjunction. This is also why some bongs have pinched-in ice catchers.

I put decorative glass beads into my bongs to act as a diffuser... to break up all the bubbles so that there are fewer big pulses of smoke, and things are smoother. This also helps for icing the bong, as there isn't a large volume of ice in the water in the 'bulb' in the bottom. Of course, use caution if you do this to a glass bong... it can help to hold it nearly horizontal and gently slide them down. I had a large glass bong that was full of these beads, and the downtube didn't break, which had also been a concern of mine

You may be coughing for NO good reason. I call it a psychological cough... I will see the bowl burning, and think "oh crap, I'm going to cough" and I most assuredly would at the first taste of smoke. Terribly wasteful. So, I started closing my eyes, or not looking at the bowl as I smoked... It worked! Occasionally this seems to come back, but I just do the above and am fine.

HOT HOT HOT water in the bong. Once again, use caution if you are using a glass bong, and never 'shock' glass with sudden, rapid temperature change. My friend made this suggestion, and I'm pleased with the results. It appears that the increase of humidity and heat in the bong masks harsh smoke taste, or even the sensation of smoke... This has become my new favorite trick. Sadly, the heat dissipates relatively quickly, so you have to dump and refill with hot water every 30 minutes or so.

Finally, you can put a dab of Vick's vapor rub down into the bong tube. Nice for medicating while sick. :D

Hope these help someone! Add your own, too :)

2. Couple Questions:

1) Never seen or heard of this...lol Post a couple pics would be sweet.

2) Thought this was a Nono cause doesn't the hot water trap some THC?

Thats brillant!!!

3. I simply pack smaller rips, but if that's not a possibility, here's something I always tell my noob friends.

When smoking a bong, let the smoke come up towards your mouth very slowly. Try to snap the bowl once the smoke reaches your lips, and before you actually pull the slide or ashcatcher out, take a breath. I usually breathe through my nose -- just a quick one. The smoke sits in the tube, but not long enough to get stale, and you get a fresh breath of air specifically to take in all that smoke :hello:

• Like Like x 1
  4. #4 Sublime21, Nov 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2009
    [​IMG]

Find em near potpourri at K-mart or whatever, or at craft stores

It might, however, the difference is so vast I can take a hit maybe 2x as big, which definitely makes a difference. :D

THC isn't water soluble, though.... I think :confused:

PS... I flew just about now... sometimes disregarding the rules and trying to suck a bowl down all at once, then coughing your guts out sure can be VERY effective :D

5. That wicked im going to try some, how many should i add?

But doesn't TCH react with Heat? I know TCH is fat soluble.

6. That's good stuff man. Or when you cough you can drink something. That's what I do and it helps in most cases. :)

7. I dont know about this idea, warmer water means more chance of bacteria growing.

8. #8 chief joseph, Nov 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2009
    good tips. i've never tried hot water but i like ice, it feels soothing. and the vicks thing sounds cool too next time i'm sick.

and i think THC is fractionally soluble in water, which means something like .1% of it will dissolve, and this number will go up more if the water is hotter but it will never be a significant amount. but yeah, it's alcohol and fat soluble so liquor and milk are bad ideas for bong water.

9. That reminds me, non-alcoholic mouth wash works amazingly well, its like mint on steroids... altoids bong... I question its interaction with THC. though.

10. Rep+ I'm gonna try that next time I get sick!

11. The THC is not water soluble, TCH maybe, but not THC. :rolleyes:

12. Snap on that one bro certainly does the trick! Although I do seem to be gathering a shit ton more phlegm then I used to, anybody know why? Thanks

13. Quit smoking cigs

14. I sometimes put a MINOR tiny bit of dusty tobacco with my bong as I find it burns more even and get a better hit, could that be part of the problem or? And also how do I get this horrible dark shadowy resin stain thing off the inside of my bong just above the water level and please don't say iso because I can't seem to find it anywhere in the uk so have been using acetone instead which doesn't seem to be working and before anybody says it's bad or anything acetone has iso in it and acetone also fully evaporates quicker then Ido and also has no left residue, any help to be rid of this horrible shadowy shit will be most greatful thanks

15. the moisture from smoking from a bong going onto your lungs gon make you cough up shit in the long run. happened to me. pipes are better (i believe)

16. I double the hot water thing. Broke my Grace bong though.
    I noticed drinking milk before toking makes hit less harsh. Only did it once do I don't know if it was coincidence or not.
    Taking smaller but more hits works too