TRUE aeroponics !!!

Discussion in 'Aeroponics' started by .HiGhGuY., Oct 16, 2009.

1. Also nutrient companies make you use more than u have too

2. The basic nute requirements for HPA is < 300 ppms in veg and less than 800 ppms in full bloom.

A little goes a long, long way

3. I too have tried the full gamut of hydro/aero and there are certainly plenty of differences, especially in regards to hp aero. I'm not going to stand on a soap box and proclaim it to be the end all be all method of growing, however it does provide significant advantages, especially when applied to scale.

All my systems are running DTW at no more than 550 ppm (0.5 conversion). The benefits of running DTW are obvious but few hydro/aero methods allow you to run DTW without wasting tremendous amounts of water/nutes. Even fewer allow you to get away with running such low nute strengths (the savings are substantial, one gallon of solution costs me around a nickel.) When considering both of those factors, I can confidently say only hp aero allows you to do both. The money I saved on just nutes/water over other hydro sets more than paid for the hp aero set after just one grow.

Another distinct advantage I've noticed is the ability to run my plants at a much higher temp. 32+ Celsius is no big deal. I start running into trouble around 36+ Celsius.

4. very impressive, you are using scrog on 8 plants?

5. Can you recommend some products, like a pump and nozzles that would atomize the water and nutrients. Maybe a DIY, because i was about to make a aeroponic system, but from your thread I found out they were not real aeroponic systems. I really want to build one because I know the results will be crazy:hello:

6. will this pump work???

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Wayne-RUP160-6-Horsepower-Oilless-Submersible/dp/B0009X8O2E/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293939808&sr=8-1-fkmr0]Amazon.com: Wayne RUP160 1/6-Horsepower 3,000 GPH Oilless Submersible Utility Water Pump: Home Improvement[/ame]

7. #47 Peflora, Jan 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2011
    CALI: Check out Reptile Basics. I got my Aquatec 8900 pump (~$90), tubing, quick connect/disconnect fittings, a variety of mist heads- single, double and quad. A double is fine for a 10G tote.

I use a Sentinel timer, but it is not accurate at one second. I get good results with two seconds on-~ 2 minutes off. The amount of time varies with root age and size.

HTH

8. #48 Peflora, Jan 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2011
    Dunny Said: I too have tried the full gamut of hydro/aero and there are certainly plenty of differences, especially in regards to hp aero. I'm not going to stand on a soap box and proclaim it to be the end all be all method of growing, however it does provide significant advantages, especially when applied to scale.

Very True, but it's not for blokes with regular jobs. I am in/out of my grow many times a day.

Depending on how warm it is here (most of the year), I replace jugs of frozen water in the rez 2-6 times a day. I know I could buy a chiller, but that's more floor space and more electricity.

Other duties:

Check positioning of mist heads... make sure roots are not too wet or too dry, adjust on/off time accordingly.

Adjust lights as they grow 2-3" a day

Monitor ppms/pH of rez. Depending on number of plants and root sizes, between evaporation (runs up ppms) and consumption you can go through 1 G of nutes a day.

Since I am a stay at home mom anyway (lol), I further push the envelop by foliar feed several times a day.

9. Your expertise and experience are needed badly by me and many others. Thank god for u sir:smoke:

10. How much more does aero yield compared to other hydro methods. Is growth also faster in a aero system?

11. HPA is cost effective. It eliminates soil mixes, hydroton, large grow medium like rockwool or S2G and considerably fewer nutrients to grow big, fat nuggz.

HPA Yield. Consider that HPA can provide the ideal growing method. How much bigger, faster, better is going to depend on the grower's ability to maintain proper lighting, relative humidity, root environment, nutrient pH /ppms, and feeding schedule.

To compare, you would need to put HPA in the hands of someone who is used to growing by other means and has their system dialed in. Next you would need that person to run HPA side-by-side. The problem in comparing the 2 grows is that operator will need several grows to get the same feel for HPA.

HTH

12. i have a 50 gallon tote, with up to 6 plants. Will the quad be enough?

13. so unclenug's system is not a true aero cuz i can def see the droplets.

14. ohhh i see now.dude at the mgm grand in las vegas they got these type of mist sprayers at the pool areas its very cooling to the skin.
    i see now op what ur talking bout

15. How does the true aero system feed seedlings:confused:. Or newly germinated seed,and how are they held in place??

16. Would be tricky to start seeds in a true aero setup, because there is NO medium at all. not even rockwool starter cubes. Think i saw some things once for aero that was like a braided nylon sleeve you could put seeds in then you put the sleeve in the neoprene disks just like you would with the stem of a clone.

Better off just starting from clones. Personally once i found some strains/phenos I liked I'd just get a mother going in soil, because that is the lowest maintenance, then just cut clones as you need.

17. #57 Peflora, Jan 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2011
    CBS: The problem with the quad is it is one unit. Mist might have a difficult time reaching the far sides.

Depending on the length of the tote consider 2 doubles- one near each end- or 4 singles equal distant from one another.

Try positioning them on opposite sides so that when the pump comes on the mist swirls instead of bumping into one another.

Balla: Right again. After sprouting in unbleached paper towel, I put the seeds into S2G starter cubes. These I put into a small bubbler with 2 X 10" stones, which can also be used for clones.

HTH

18. don't think that will work. the GPH means nothing for aero. You want something with a high PSI... and can sustain high PSI without damaging the pump. Most likely it will be an inline (non-submersible) pump. most pumps though will only be able to sustain a certain PSI, and then they will shut off... thats why depending on the pump, you may also need an accumulator tank.

Peflora... how do you like the STG cubes? I tried using their Hail, and it didn't go good at all. wierdest thing... plants got about 1.5" tall, tap root about a 4mm and then just stopped growing, didn't die or turn yellow just stalled. started some more seeds in rockwool cubes and they went fine. I might try the STG cubes, cuz can't stand rockwool cubes

19. S2G cubes work great when you figure out their shortcoming- the fibers do not separate under seedling power- the seedlings got stuck and died. I lost 6 seedlings because I inserted them too deep. They simply could not get out.

I solved this by cutting the fibers in the area of insertion.

I insert the cubes in PVC couplers from plumbing supply. I have journals with pics of the parts and grows on IC and 420. It would be in your best interest to check them out.

HTH

20. you got same name on IC? I've seen a bunch of aero threads over there, quite possibly one of yours... your name does sound familiar.