Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

how to dry resin fast

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by 3085, Oct 16, 2009.

1. #21 ithofbubbles, Jun 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2010
    I think most of the wetness in this guys resin is oils, whne u boil resin u lose these oils u get yellow water and ur resin dries alot faster cuz its mostly water then, these oils do get u as high as the resin itself as ive soaked a nug in it to test, anyway to dry the resin put it on a metal spoon and slowly cook it with a lighter ull see a puddle of these oils gathering on the spoon cuz the heat draws them out then let it cool "it hardens as it cools" flip it over and cook a lil more untill desired, if it looks gooey still it will harden as it cools so its easier to toy with, just be sure u cook it slow.

do not put ur swampy resin ball in a paper towel and fold it and press like som1 said :p unless u want to deal with that mess, i'm pretty sure u'd either lose like 8 hits of resin or u'd be smoking paper towels.

2. put some ash in the bowl before you put the resin in, it will keep the resin from falling through when you light it...works great

3. Put it in the garbage can, pile a bunch of shut on it, and you won't have to worry if it's dry or not.

• Like Like x 1
  4. put it on tin foil and roast the shit out of it

5. actually, a really good way is if you get a small cookie sheet, or just a small metal pan, and you put the resin on there and you hold a lighter underneath until you dont hear the sizzle of the water anymore. then all you gotta do is let it sit and harden, you may have to do it a second time depending on how much res you got, then just scrape it off the pan, but be careful not to scratch the metal.

*Note: if you roll it into a ball, you run to risk of it falling through the hole so experiment and find out which way is good for your pipe

6. i would jus say fuk it take lil t break ,id wait until some thehm buds around but htats me ...hope goes well for ya =)

7. Paper towel

8. Roll the resin in some ash, it will dry out and burn better. Trust me

9. #29 unfollower, May 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2012
    After Reading the thread, and venturing other places and my own knowledge.
    I have found this to work 100% the best way to dry & smoke gooey sticky resin from your Glass Pipe.

This is old school for me but Enjoy!

The Best way to Dry Resin Fast to smoke it is:

1. First get it, put it on on a cardboard surface or a spoon.(spoon works best).

What you will need:
    1. the sticky gooey resin
    2. butter knife.
    3. lighter.
    4. safety pin
    5. 2 BB sized globs

Instructions:
    1. Put the Butter knife on its side(lol) halfway off an end table,table or some surface where your not going to drop the damn thing.

2. Use the Safety Pin to put the Two BB sized Globs on the tip of the knife, I personally use the first inch to spread out the gooey resin, So that way it burns evenly. I'll explain more below.

3.Grab your Lighter. Stop Read more.

4. This is the process. Put your Lighter 4-6 inches below the Butter Knife Now light your Lighter, But don't put it under until you follow on how to do it. (Below)

5. DO NOT TORCH the Resin! You want the White Part of the flame about an inch off the bottom of the knife to slowly burn it.

Now the resin will start to bubble, moving your lighter back and forth underneath it about it 8x slowly. Don't let it bubble to much: about 10 seconds worth. then stop the flame.
    and lightly blow on the resin a couple times to help it cool faster.

6. Now remix up the two BB sized globs and repeat 1-2 two more times.

7. Use the Safety Pin to scrape the pile onto your surface of choice or put it directly back into your pipe.

8. SMOKE IT VERY, VERY SLOWLY. You'll be Feeling like you just smokes a small bud.

Not Needed:
    Tinfoil,Ashes(although does help stiffen it)
    Stems,Beaners,Straws,

That's it! Enjoy. You'll Be Blazed...

10. was looking at this thread a few days ago and found that pretty much every method mentioned here i have tried, and gotten similar results from... im interested in developing the best and easiest method to avoid any bullshit or disappointment in the future when im hanging for a cone.

i used to put it in a little stainless steel bowl and sit it on top of the engine block of my car for abit, this worked, but the engine had to be pretty hot to have any real affect and with this a few times the bowl would heat up too much and literally bake the resin to the side.

Using tissues/knapkins/whatever works but its only really worth it if you've got a fair amount of resin in a solid sort of mass. if its that soft, granulated looking stuff it'll just stick to the tissue in amounts way too small to be worth picking off.

At the moment im trying it with a hair dryer on its lowest setting, held about a foot away from the resin which is in a little cup type thing that has a bit of glad wrap with many holes stretched over it so the resin doesnt get blown about and you lose it... heat it for a minute, leave it to cool off, come back later, heat it some more, continue until satisfied. seems to work ok.

Has anyone tried sticking the resin in a small air tight container with one of those silca gel packs? might be worth a shot.

11. :D mix it with ashes :D

:hello:works great :hello:

12. Hold a hair dryer a decent distance over it.

13. ew dont smoke resin.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I dont know about the rest of you, but sometimes when I scrape rez out of me bowl it is so wet that it won't take shape, so I just kinda scape it into my bowl, but when i go to light it, it literally turns into liqued and doestn't burn. Anyone know why this is?

15. I usually get an old metal sppon, put the wet resin on the spoon, grab a lighter and light heat he bottom of the spoon up. It usually makes a cracking/popping noise. It takes about 5 minutes tho depending on how much quantity of resin you have, but I found its the best way to dry it out. Hope it help . ☺

16. Excellent bump for a 7 year old question about the grossest shit to possibly smoke.

• Like Like x 2
  17. first off it is the harshest to ever smoke. Who ever told you to put a lighter to it is an idiot in my skewed opinion. it must naturally dry 3 weeks or so in a warm room, if you don't, you risk burning up all the left over THC. If you manage to smoke it dry you have less chances of getting a super headache that you get when you smoke it wet!!

18. No need to dry it....spark it up while it is still oily! Unless you are talking about wet bong ashes. Anyway, the resin will sizzle in your bowl guarenteeing a monster massive hit that will make you cough for hours!! It's gonna taste like ass so prepare yourself! After a few hits, the oily resin will begin to dry out and harden making hits taste even nastier and clogging your pipe. Re scrape the bowl and continue to smoke. You will get a dirty, spaced out high. Somebody asks you a question, any question, and you turn to them with a confused look on your face and reply "huh?" Enjoy! :)

19. If it isn't dry by now give up on it, it's been over 7 years.

• Like Like x 4
  20. #40 Spidaley, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    Hi, all!

Okay. I've been following this for days now... I've tried many different things many different times and I've kinda got a grip on it but for the most part it's basically just deciding which method you want to use to dry/boil out the moisture. If you're on this thread I am sure you know what resin looks and feels like.. I dont have to tell you that it sticky as hell, messy as hell, and gross as hell. I've gone in many times to scrape pieces thinking "I'm not going to make a mess".... Never plays out that way.

First I want to start out by saying: all the people that come on here and put "that's gross as shit" and "that's bad for you". A: why are you on this thread, and B: we know resin is gross, we know it's obviously not good to smoke. It's not liking the cake bowl, we don't go in thinking "yay I get to scrape sticky resin out of hard to reach areas, because I love the taste". Anyone who does a little research will know that smoking resin all the time is bad because it's obviously tar, but once in a while isn't too bad. Hey, times get hard, sometimes you gotta pay rent instead of smoking bud and that resin is a nice lil' silver lining... Rant over. I'm going to explain my process and what works for me. Feel free to follow or do a variation.

Scrapping: so, clearly the pieces where the flame hits the same area that the resin builds, get the driest resin to scrape, i.e small pipes, one hitters, the 'bit' in a gravity, bowls etc. On the other hand, the ones that have water, have the wettest resin, such as bongs and bubbles. In a classic catch 22, wet resin is easier to scrape than dry, but harder to smoke. Heat up the area you scrape and use a poker (somthing to poke and scrape with, duh). I find that the best thing is a Bobby pin, with an L hook at the scraping end to kind of push the resin along. It's best to bend it to the shape of one area of the piece, get as much as you can, then bend it to fit the next area. If you need to, go back and use a previous piece to pick up another, kind of like how you remove sticky tac or sugaring wax. The smaller the piece the easier it will come out (obviously) but I always get it into one big clump and then pull it to the opening, then you can get it out in nice medium sized pieces. I've read that you can use pure alchol to clean it, pour into a bowl and wait for the alchol to evaporate, leaving resin. I have never this because I wouldn't trust smoking somthing that's been sitting in rubbing alchol. Pure alchol is awsome to clean pieces with, however; most places don't sell past 70% rubbing alchol, it basically does as much as hydrogen peroxide. 90%+ is litteraly the only strength that will break down resin.

Drying: here's where it gets hard (that's what she said). I've tried every method on here and some are better than others, but a choice few help alot in this process. I will say that I have not tried putting it in a steel bowl on my engine block... That seems way too extra! I also have not boiled it on a spoon because I would feel like I am doing heroine lol, but each to their own I guess. The paper-towel/coffee-filter aspect, and dabbing the resin pulls up alot of moisture onto the towel/filter but you don't see alot leave the resin.. It seems to stay just as wet. Also you have to keep re-moulding it to get to the moisture and this is hella messy. I've found that the best way to do this though is to make it into a ball and roll it around on paper or wax paper. You can make less mess re-moulding it by getting a nice solid sandwhich bag (zip lock status). When you put the resin on the outside of the bag you can spread It all out and dab the moisture or put it under a lamp or put it by the window, grab a hair dryer, blah blah... Basically however you can evaporate the moisture. Then, When you fold the sandwhich bag in half, sealing the resin inside like a taco (be sure to smoosh the resin together) and quickly pull one side away from the other, the resin will pull up cleanly to one side. Fold in half the other way and repeat. Do this until it's small again. Just a tip to avoid the mess. Once you've gotten all the moisture you can, flatten it out into a nice pancake and put it in the freezer. No more than 5ish minutes. Resin freezes really fast, but thaws just as fast too so for this next part you have to work quick. Once it's nice and frozen it's going to feel dry... Don't be fooled, it's not. Just frozen. Take a knife and dice the resin up... Yes you read correctly... Dice the resin up into small balls. Cut up little pieces of the resin, as small as u can make it, but not too small to where you cannot grab them or the cutting is taking to long. When you slice it up it will be dry and easy to cut, but the room and your fingers will warm it up it becomes sticky again. Use your best judgment to tell when to put it back in to freeze and how long leave it at room temperature while you cut it up. Once you have it in small balls (I recommend using the sandwhich bag to put them on) you can leave it out to dry more.. Or just go for it... Ive left it for weeks and it's been just as wet. Obviously if you leave it out long enough it will dry but I don't even want to speculate how long that would take, let alone if it's one giant ball.

Smoking: yes, yes... The easiest part.. I know. However; this part also has to do with drying. I'm sure all of you have put it in the bowl or piece as a clump or ball of resin and watched as your lighter melted it and it slipped through the hole into the abyss, leaving you with a bad taste and no high. Well, unfortunately the bubbling part, I have come to find, is hard to avoid. No matter how dry you think your resin is.. The second that lighter hits it, you know it's still wet. Solution? Screens. Buy a pack of screens. What is a screen? It's a small round woven mesh of tiny steel fibers. Sounds complex I know! They are litteraly like a dollar for 10 at your local smoke shop. They look just like the metal mesh part of old ear buds, circa 2005. In fact I have used that part from old broken ear buds of mine in place of a screen more than once. There are glass filters, but just get the cheap metal ones. You'll see why. After you put the screen in the bowl, Take the little resin balls and place them gently in the bowl. It should kind of look like a tiny bowl of black 'dip n' dots'. Don't fill the bowl, leave enough room for the flame to pass around the sides of the balls, just add them periodically as you smoke. There should be gaps between the balls, this is why we make them. The gaps between the small amounts of resin alow the flame to pass between them. If you just burn a big clump it will either clog up, melt and fall in or the flame will just go around it. As the flame passes through the gaps it helps dry it almost right away and helps burn the actual resin instead of the moisture. Don't be discouraged when it does bubble and boil into a clump, it's bound to happen, but this split second contact with the flame inbetween the gaps makes a world of difference. The resin will clump up. A tiny bit may fall through the screen but for the most part it stays on it. The screen, kind of catches and holds it so that it has no where to go while the flame is on it. It will bubble a little and then you should, after about 2-3 go's, see the edges start to ember. The biggest mistake you can make is holding a lighter on it for a long time till it burns. Resin isnt great for you... But inhaling lighter fluid for 30 seconds at a time is WAY worse. I see so many people, hold it on the resin forever and it hurts me. Also, cigarette lighters are not designed to have the flame go for a long period of time, the plastic will melt and make the lighter not work or worse, explode, but before that will happen you'll burn the shit out of your thumb. Resin does cherry (stay lit) well so once you've got it burning you should be all good. You can even go one step further and once it does start emerging, wait for it to cool and break up the, now dry, resin. Then it will burn awesomely.

Additional notes: I have found a great way to smoke the resin so that you don't have to inhale the lighter fluid from the first 2-3 trys of getting it lit. It does include making/using a gravity bong. If you don't know what that is, it is a home made smoking utensil using a bucket or cup (depending on size) and a bottle. Super easy to make, and, in my opinion, not only conserves your bud really well but also get you high as shit! If you don't know how to make one, just go look it up. Instructions are all over the Internet and like I said it's super easy. If you don't use a gravity, then disregard this part, enjoy your resin, thanks for reading and I hope this helped. If you do use or are planning to make a "grav" then here is my method of smoking the resin: take the socket wrench piece or whatever you use as a bowl. Roll the metal screen carefully into a roll (like a crescent roll or sushi lol) small enough to fit up the bit/bowl from the bottom leaving room for the resin to sit in the top of the bit/bowl obviously. Then you can light it and pull it up. As the resin melts down the rolled up screen it will catch the resin before it falls in and keeps the resin nice and separated instead of clumped. When the bottle fills up with a little smoke and mostly light fluid you can just let the "grav" go and let out all the lighter fluid, then do the process again until it lights and fills with smoke and enjoy.

This is all I have (he said ironically). I know it's a fucking essay, but I was tired of always coming back to this thread, and others with the same or no answers.... so fuck it. I hope this helped. Don't smoke too much resin, or you'll fuck up your lungs, but when you do I hope that my steps helped, thanks and happy smoking! ;)

• Like Like x 1