Claiming weed isnt a drug

Discussion in 'General' started by greenbliss, Oct 7, 2009.

1. I know alot of people here like to claim that weed is not a drug, but I think that is foolish to say (before you flame please hear me out). I dont like to be called a drug user, and I know exactly what it is like to be called that, as my mom considers me to be one. Also, it makes me really angry when I see people act like weed is bad even though there is really not much wrong with it. The key is that it is all about prospective. I mean I dont consider myeself a murderer, even though technically I might be since I have killed many insects that invaded my bedroom. I also dont consider myself a drug user depsite the fact that I use weed and I consider it to be a drug. How is this possible? Its on the same line as the insect example. I consider caffeine, tylenol and alcohol to be drugs too, but I dont think that tylenol, caffeine or alcohol are major enough of drugs to make that a user of those substances a drug user, same with the herb. Saying weed is a drug has a bad connentation because drugs have a bad connentation, but there is a large difference between weed and say heroin. That is the key to what I am saying. Just as someone who kills an insect may technically be a murderer they would not consider themselves to be one unless they killed a person. On the same lines, just as someone uses a drug it doesnt make them a drug user unless they say, use hard drugs. Thoughts?

2. A drug, broadly speaking, is any substance that, when absorbed into the body of a living organism, alters normal bodily function.

so really it is a drug. if you look at it from that POV. Just everybody knows there are certain degrees of drugs

3. I find it rather shallow to say that users of heroin are drug users, where as smokers are not. The "level of seriousness" can't really be considered. THC is indeed a drug, though its quite excellent...I think we're all users. I mean hell, what does it matter what we're titled? Chill and and fuck those haters. :smoking:
    Jah Bless.

4. Basically Im saying I use a drug but im not a drug user. Yeah I know how it sounds, but thats what Im saying.

5. Personally I find MDMA weaker and less intense then being high. So does that count as not 'really' being a drug? I think not. MJ is a drug and that's that, if you smoke MJ you do drugs. Just like if you take Tylenol, you do drugs.

6. Food and water are drugs if you ask me.....

7. That makes zero sense.

But what the hell do i know, Ima drug user.

8. #9 mpk219, Oct 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2009
    You are a drug user. Simple as that. But your drug of choice is a soft drug that does more good than harm when used responsibly. I disagree with your idea that alcohol is not a "major enough drug" for its users to be considered drug users. Alcohol is a very hard drug, that belongs right up there with drugs like heroin as far as being dangerous and addictive. But that doesn't mean it can't be enjoyed responsibly. Society's perception of drugs is for the most part ridiculous and founded on ignorance, so I don't care much whether the average person wants to classify me as a druggie, and I don't think you should either.

9. i believe he meant abuser.

10. I dont see it, He mentioned it as a drug user 4 times in that paragraph.

Look at the last sentence.

If you use drugs, You are a drug user, Period.

What a drug is, Is a different story. Im not worried about the stigma or reputation behind that classification. But i have no remorse in saying i am a drug user.

11. At least yall don't have to die saying I cooked meth to pay the bills, robbed people, or shot a guy who had the luck of living through it. I know these type of people and they got A LOT more shame than people who have done a bunch of drugs or fucked over a bunch of women.

12. Well alot of people can repsonsibly enjoy a beer here are there. Weed is clearly much safer, but alcohol is safe enough that many people can responsibly use it, not saying that there arent people that have clear problems with it.

To what others have said, I guess drug abuser vs user would be a much better choice of terms.

13. There's a lot of people who can responsibly use heroin, crack, meth,coke, etc. That doesn't make them any less dangerous or addictive. There's just a social stigma surrounding those other drugs that no longer exists around alcohol.

14. Thats hard for me to believe, but Ill take your word for it due to the fact that I used to be one of the people that beleived the anti weed propaganda.

15. I've done Meth a couple of times and I do some blow every once in awhile. I'm almost done with College (Economics degree), I have a great job with benefits working for Pepsi, I drive an Infiniti, I live in my own house, and I have a pretty good thing going with a girl and I paid and accomplished all that pretty much by myself. So I guess I would be living proof that you can do those things responsibly. Those drugs all have positives to them as well, although I will admit no where near as many as good ol MJ.

16. You have "drugs" or chemicals in your system pretty much from birth. Marijuana is a drug and anyone who says otherwise is trying to distance themselves from being labeled a "drug user" because of it negative connotations, but you have to realize that everyone is a drug user in some form. The reasons behind usage may differ, but I don't believe there are many people out there who do not put chemicals into their bodies.

We're all on drugs.

17. a lot of the people who claim weed isn't a drug use this excuse:

Its not a drug, its a plant!

Yeah, well where do you think opium comes from?

The fact that it IS a drug, doesn't necessarily mean its a bad thing though.

The media will try to spin it like all drugs are bad, then cut to a commercial of some synthesized poison that Merck sells for $200, that has way worse side effects than MJ.

18. #19 greenbliss, Oct 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2009

Well its that I consider weed to be so minor of a thing that it doesnt even register. Just as someone who killed an insect isnt considered a murderer or someone who uses caffeine (a drug) daily wouldnt consider themselves a drug user either.

I dont know I just really hate the label drug user cuz I see that as someone who is losing control of themselves and totally destroying their lives at least thats how I feel about it, I have never tried anything else. But people who have never tried the green feel that way about us, so what do I know.

I also have dealt with people, including my mom, who disagree with my toking that have labeled me as a drug user, so that built a negative connontation and version to that term. I guess I should just admit Im a drug user, but I dont see people using the drug caffeine doing that.

Edit: I would like to add that this thread was made not because I suddenly came to realization that Im using a drug or whatever, I have always felt that its a drug, its just that I have heard weed is not a drug more times than I can count, a speaker at hempfest said it too. We lose alot of credibility with non tokers when we make this denial. I thought everyone was gonna be saying it isnt a drug and Im surprised about how many are admitting it is. Because, in my experience I have constantly heard denials about it being a drug.

19. All of the preppy suits who slam 5 Hour Energy drinks every morning just to get through the day are worse off than we are.