Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Old school strains - Where are you??? Acapulco Gold, Pananma Red, Columbian...

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by FreeMJ, Sep 28, 2009.

1. The term "strain" was generally not used in connection with various imports from Colombia, Thailand, Mexico, etc.

2. There was excellent weed in the 1970's and there was also a lot of bilge weed and dirt weed. There is some excellent weed now and there is also bilge weed and dirt weed too. The big difference is that now everyone and their grandmother is growing weed and it is much easier to get the good stuff.

3. ace seeds has landraces

4. There was excellent weed in the 60s/70s/80s, but most were imports. Weed had to travel thousands of miles to get to the USA and lids were reasonably priced.
    Nowadays, all these new names for weed are grown down the street...no need to travel thousands of miles and prices have increased 1000%.
    Thank goodness for 'reverse tolerance' and being pals with growers!! :smoke: 

5. its all in the way it was grown.  my old boss has been growing his own personal strain that he has been growing for 30 years.  it is a mix of colombian gold and panama red.  the buds look terrible but man, it is the most cerebral sativa high i have ever experienced.

6. Your naming landrace strains. The old school strains are still out there, just not common. Those old strains like Acapulco Gold, Thai Stick, Mawi, Hindu + Afghan, Jamaican Sativa, and lots more I can't name right now are sitting in their home countries! Mexico, Central Asia/Hindu kush mountains, Jamaica, and all those places are where the old school strains are. Watch Strain Hungers on YouTube. They go around the world hunting the old strains they used to created all the powerful hybrids today. Like all of the indica of today, Og, Headband, Masterkush, Pk, anything basically with kush genetics traces back to The original afghani strains (Hindu kush, Afghni kush, Afghanica). Those old school strains are just landrace strains. Breeders value these 'landraces' more than anything.

7. Definitely sounds like nostalgia to me. Of course the weed you had 40 years ago when you were young, ripped and fucking new pussy every week is better than the weed you've got today. Swings were a lot more fun when I was a kid, doesn't mean today's swings suck.

8. SMH.

It's not nostalgia. Some strains then were different and nice to find back then. :smoke:

9. oh I remember the pin joint we would roll back in 79 and 80 working in a grocery store.my buddy and I would split an ounce of Arkansas red hair and smoke a joint in the produce cooler on stock days and laugh our ass off.I have also had some stuff out of texas in 2004 that was just as good called popcorn.

10. You're absolutely right! Back in the "old days" when pot averaged maybe 3% THC, you could smoke an entire joint just to get high. Witness the 1969 film "Easy Rider" where two or three guys are passing more than one joint around.

Of course if that was the time you had your first few highs, sure it was great! But the weed of the late 60s and early 70s was way weaker than what you've got now. I can take one, maybe two hits of the dispensary stuff and I'm set for an hour and a half. No smoking joint after joint.

11. And you are how old?
    You are either speculating or only got your hands on shitty weed. I assure you there were some very potent strains available. :smoke:

12. #514 billwh, Apr 17, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
    I smoked my first joint in 1968 at the age of 16. Actually two joints to get high.

I've never been a connoisseur of marijuana. I do remember some extra good weed in the 70s, but most of it was bought "from a friend of a friend" and usually had seeds. You didn't get high off of one or two hits, it was more like it required an entire joint.

I don't have a link handy, but do look up the average potencies of weed from the 70s to now. "This is not your father's marijuana" read the title of an article I read online shortly after Colorado legalized recreational pot. It went on to compare average THC levels from 1970 to the present.

I had some "Golden Goat" sativa last night that  I picked up in Denver. Had just one hit, and had to put the pipe down for an hour and a half - I had had enough. Seems like in the "good old days" that never happened, I'd go through at least a half, maybe a full joint before I had to give it a rest.

13. Most of the brick weed did meet those low THC values. I know a one hitter with Thia stick in it would make one happy for hours.

Other strains may not have hit 20, but had a very nice high. Don't believe everything you read, especially when their numbers were crunched from seizure lists.

Case in point, the old "weak" Acapulco Gold. 15 - 23 ain't too shabby. :smoke:

http://www.wikileaf.com/strain/acapulco-gold/

14. Thinking about the past forces your brain to release chemicals, which often makes people feel as though the past was better. I smoked a lot of those old strains. They were great back then because that's the best we had. They don't hold a candle to some of the shit that's out now though! 

15. A tested strain of 15-23% isn't memories and it wasn't a hybrid. I still claim some were better than anything you can find today considering quality of the high. :smoke:

16. supposedly getting some panama red in a minute. 
    da weed man is on his way! Can't wait to hit a bowl, and not this vape! [​IMG]

17. #519 leelivst, Nov 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2016
    The Red and the Gold and Columbian had a very sweet but earthy taste. Very Very Clean motivational high. I turned 9 people on to one J of Red and we could not finish it. The weed back then made you feel motivated. You would go to a concert or play guitar or put on an album. At Hiram College in 75 I was at a house and we smoked a J of Panama Red laced with hash oil. I went to class, sat down and then looked up as I noticed everyone was getting up as class had ended. I did not remember a beginning or what was said during. It is not a question of what is more potent it is a question of the type of high derived from the strains of yesterday compared to today. We also took alot of acid. The problem with window pane was it would lift the fog or veil. It would allow you to see life and reality the way mankind really is. Hours would become weeks and minutes days. It would only be by the sight of the trusted clock that one would realize the passage of time. The next morning no hangover. It almost felt like you mind had been totally cleansed. In those days you went undergound to see the light.

18. there is a good reason they value the LR (Land Race ) 6 years and I am just getting Abducted into hybrid ...F1 and F2's .backcross .. I have a great early 1970's NL but I just crossed it with the Abducted hybrid .. 46 year and the strain is the best I have ever smoked I don't smoke any other strains now ... I was one of the last collectors to have a 1974 PR from seed bay auctions .$475 for 12 seeds ,I was also the last known owner of the 1980 Blue skunk ...Abducted is from the Mekong delta found in 1969 came back to the states in early June of 1970 ...

the problem and you should all take note . the problem with old school LR is most lost stabilization after 2 or 3 crosses ... it was hard to get them back after and back then back crossing was seldom used ...most in door growers will not spend more then a few months on a strain if its not easy to grow ... these LR are the hardest to grow in the world ..some think the modern Sativa are worthless but the breeders know better .. most LR are Male dominate strains ..when crossed it takes years to get the right cross . Abducted took 109 strains to find one that made viable seed...the high ... clear mind out of body full abducted feeling .. last 5-8 hours in has 8-12 hours ...deep body high and no side effect ,...other then there is no upper end .. the more you smoke the higher you get ...

• Like Like x 1