All my seedlings always die .... why?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by stankopolis, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Just an update, switched all lights out to 6500k (total = 12x26w = 312 watts). I topped one of the smaller ones that was badly burned earlier, to see what happens and as practice.

I moved the pots up closer to the lighting array. Two of the three in the bigger pots seem to have responded really well to the move, however the plant in the middle seems a little droopy. (This is the plant in the first pic) Not sure if its a heat build-up in that spot due to the design of my array or what, will keep an eye on it though.

Enjoy.

Attached Files:

2. Woah, damn dude, I just spent the last hour or so, chiefing a fat blunt, and browsing through your CFL and HPS grow thread. Then just happened to notice you had posted earlier on my thread.

Thanks for the help earlier. I hope I get some where close to your grow, stop by and give me advice whenever you feel like it.

3. stank its possible that the middle plant is using water more quickly. give it a good watering about 6-7 oz of water should perk it up. the plant isnt showing any signs of nute burning other than the first set of real leaves starting to die. try that and if it doesnt perk up, flush the medium really well and watch it closely.

4. hey dude they look fine i wouldnt worrie to much about the drooping it only looks like abit of overwatering although the soil dont look too damp, as u said yourself keep an eye on her for a couple days but she should be fine nothing to much to worie about for now, my plants sometimes just do that for a day or to but perk right up on their next watering, as for those first little leafs falling off well they should be coming off about now so its all good dude keep up the good work

ps if it was a heat buil up it wouldnt really droop but they tends to curl their leafs up at the sides called taco-ing as they start to look like tacos lol(this can sometimes be caused by other things) this is them trying to protect the top of the leafs from the heat

5. #45 stankopolis, Nov 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2009
    OK guys,

A bit of an update and a question (as always).

Been away for a bit, so first here are some updated pics. I have three trial plants I am growing in solo cups all the way through. These have been the plants I have tested LST and Topping on. The three main plants in the larger buckets are the ones that were growing the best so they got the biggest buckets.

All seemed to be going well until this past week when I started getting some serious discoloration on the lower section of fan leaves on the bigger plants. They started turning almost a bright yellow.

Looked up symptoms and think I have a case of nitrogen deficiency. I hadn't been giving them any nutes since i have them in MG Organic Soil which has time release nutes in it.

So I rushed out to local garden shop and promptly purchased FF Grow Big and Tiger Bloom. Will use Grow Big for the next two waterings (I water every two days) and then I will be switching to flowering.

Once damage is done to the leaves, it's there to stay, right? Then I am not sure when I will be able to tell that my plants are recovering from their nitrogen defeciencey. Is it just by making sure that the yellowing of fan leaves doesn't start spreading more towards the top of the plant?

Attached Files:

6. hey dude the way to tell they are recovering is by good strong fast new growth & the yellowing will stop spreading, the damage thats done wont heal so just check its not getting worse, also id say you would be much better of sorting the problems first before going into flower as that can make things worse & stress the plants etc

7. Thanks for the reply mills. I kinda wanted to time for an xmas harvest, but I see now that I will need to give them at least another week in veg. Hopefully the grow big will help. I will keep an eye on the new growth and the yellowing.

Thanks again.

8. hey what's going on. you got a nice grow going on here bro and i thought i would throw you my 2 cents. i use cfls in 70%of my rooms and i would add some low wattage cfls on y's hanging on lower sides on your plants 1-6500k on one side of y 1-2700k on other if you use this method you will have a great growth spurt on the sides and lower portions of your plants. also i just keep the lights mixed during flowering 2700k and 6500k better results. peace bro i will check back:D

9. Thanks for the advice humper, I will def. try and get some additional lighting set up for the sides once this current problem is taken care of.

I have been reading some more (watch out) and realize that it most likely is nitrogen def. but also could be, overwatering (or not enough oxygen to roots, but I water every 2-3 days and there is a lot of perlite in the soil medium so probably not that). Also could be a PH issue (now this is much more likely seeing as I'm using MG soil and tap water, though I filter it, so I need to get a PH pen asap). I will be going to local grow store and see if I can score a PH pen to test runoff. Because more I read about it, maybe it isn't as easy as I first thought.

10. hey dude i noticed you say you filter the tap water you use but do you still let it sit out for atleast 24 hours b4 using it? as the clorine wont be removed by the filter it needs to evaporate from the water

11. You know my last watering (which was right before I had these issues) I was unable to let the water sit out long at all. I had just come back from a 3+ day trip and my babies were badly in need of being watered (droopy as all hell) so I promptly watered, without waiting for a 24 hour evaporation period.

Then just a short 3-4 days later is when the discoloration problems occurred. Coincidence? What kind of problems does chlorine cause?

Also please help me with recommendations for ph pens, I am googling them now and am lost.

12. i think your soil is holding water too much. i would get some extra perlite i dont see much at all in your mix. get some fox forest you will see a very big differance in the amount of perlite in mix and i still add some to fox forest.

13. I actually put a ton of perlite in this soil mixture, well not a ton, but at least 1/3rd of the mixture. I know it doesn't really look like it, but I swear I did. Should I add more holes at bottom of container instead then?

When I water I can get a good amount of run-off if I am trying out of the buckets, so I know that the soil isn't holding all the water.

Any advice on PH pens?

14. hey dude i dont know too much on PH pens, but have you looked on ebay? usually a good place for thing like that, i only just got 1 myself for under £10 but thats from the uk site

15. you can get a ph pen at home depot or lowes. you need to check the ph of the runoff as well as the water used to irrigate

16. Perfect,thanks mills. I didn't really have a problem with where to find them, just didn't know which were good brands and such.

Heard others recommend Hanna though, so that looks good to me. Did you also get the calibration liquids as well??

17. yea mine was only a rather basic 1 but it came with the calibration liquid mine only needed 1 liquid, prob as its only basic, but some come already calibrated it will say clearly if it is already

18. Am I bugging, or are these the beginnings of pistils??? Sorry so fuzzy will try and take better pictures again when I'm not so faded. ;0)

Attached Files:

19. Guess I'll answer my own question. Looked em up and I think they are calyx and not pistils. The wait continues.