PH and PPM...whats it all about..

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Yoda, Sep 3, 2009.

1. #41 imaB, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2011

my tap water is closer to 8.0, and every municipality will be different. if u want a cheap way to test just tap water, use aquarium dropper kit or ph strips.

2. So i'am a first time grower and iam just looking for good advice from people that have been growing for a long time

3. #43 Cyrate, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2011
    Thanks Bud for posting this up. i was just going over this info for myself.

i made (cannibalized) a little chart to remind myself of nutrients effect on PH. feel free to use (or change) it if you wish to break up that wall of text. ..if it wasnt so damn interesting id've TL;DR

PH fluctuates due to nutrients being used at different rates by the plant.

Attached Files:

4. #44 Old Fart 420, Mar 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2011
    Hey, absolute newb here. Mr. Slinger you are an awesome teacher, your posts are very well thought out and articulated in such a manner that makes it so easy to understand. I am already in prep for a 4 bucket system to go in a closet setup. The one question that I have seen asked over and over again and no one seems to want to answer directly is about purchasing a pH/EC/TDs meter. I dont want to spend 200 bucks when a 100 dollar meter might be just fine or even spend a 100 if a 30 or 40 dollar one might be all i really need. Does a 25 dollar pH meter you stick in the ground have the capability of reading pH in a bucket system?? I understand about them always needing calibrated. This just seems to be a subject no one wants to elaborate on and being a brand newb Im just trying to get some direct answers. Slinger you bucket system thread is just as impressive one question on it is where to get the black 5 gal buckets? Home cheapo only has orange Lowes only has Silver LOL. Gonna be hitting a few local hydro shops tomorrow so might find them then. Also on your recirc pump you emphasized several times just a very slight flow is the eco132 adjustable and Eco makes a 65 as well and was wondering if that would be adequate? Guess thats more than one question :)
    Thx.

5. I know you don't want to hear it but I'd go with the $200 unit u could go with a $70 to $100 but they don't last that long. I bought a $69 pen unit and it only lasted a year. a ph ppm ec meter is probable the most important piece of equipment you can have for growing mj without it is like flying blind. I just purchased a ph ppm ec from millwaukee and I love it. don't skimp on it your yield will thank me. and don't forget calibration fluid a meter is useless without it. the kit I got came with everything for $209 at greentrees hydroponics. com

6. Slinger,

I'm am a new grower and i have read this post twice now it has truly helped me understand PH and PPM, i am beginning my first hydro grow in the next few weeks and this post was so helpful. thanks for the info man.

7. The Ph pen you pruchased should have a specific ph level to use for calibration. If it says to use a 7.0 then that will be all you need.

8. Does distilled water contain 0 ppm?

9. Nice. But I have a question. My seeds are still germinating. I know at some point
    I have to apply this to my lilttle one. Do I start testing for ph now or wait longer. My seeds have 1 day in soil.

10. The PH levels should be accurate from begging of your grow to the absolute end if you want to get the most out of your plant

11. #51 GrassyYoungOne, May 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Ok. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the info.

12. Good Morning Good Gents!
    Just wanted to pass on an amazing deal i came across on a Hanna HI 9813-6 Probe Meter that reads PH/EC/TDS/Temp w/ Grow Check & CAL Check. Easy calibration comes w/ calibrating packets for specific minerals. A 4-1 Probe Meter for $110!!!! And it's a HANNA! You can't beat this price, the best so far! Hurry and get yourself one because they're on clearance and once they're gone, you're SOL!

Oh....Did I mention the SHIPPING IS FREE!!!!

[​IMG]

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-83212413117752/Han-HI9813.pdf

The Link above provides a PDF file for detailed info.

$119 HANNA HI 9813-6 pH/EC/TDS/ºC Meter - CLEARANCE

This is the Link for purchasing!

I hope everyone can grab themselves a unit this is definitely a MUST have!
    Good Growing Gents!:smoke:

13. subbed.. will read thread later.. ;)

14. a lot of good info in this thread.. Thanks yoda..

15. Those are good testers, you scored a good deal.

16. Actually no he didnt,:rolleyes: but this thread is not about good deals on meters, it is about what we use the meters to read in our growing, how it relates to what we grow and how the readings can help us better understand what our plants are telling us ;) That post was way [​IMG] and disrespectful to the MOD who wrote the thread, to help US grow better.

O F[​IMG]

17. A couple of my babies were dying of severe mg deficiency and I bought limestome and threw about 3 tbsp on the top of each pot and mix it lightly at the top if the soil and watered them. The are in pots I would say are about 5 liters each. I'm pretty sure the soil is way to acidic. I used organic mirical grow and perilte and blood& bone for fert. Also sprinkled a pinch of Epsom salt on the soil yesterday as well. Have I effed it all up or was I fairly OK with my guess on the limestone. I cannot afford a pH stick and have read it's not worth time or money for strips ( even though I bought strips :/ ) any help would be much appreciate. Sry if there's many typos, iPhone Is smashed :(

18. i was wondering what can you use to calibrate your ppm, ph meters? i really dont like buying calabration solution for spendy dollars when i know that there are other household items i could use? i have ro water but i heard that the ph level can through you offf because once it comes into contact with air it changes

19. k i know that the ppm of purple powerade is around 1750 so ive got one soultion but i dont have any more ph of it because i dont have anymore ph calibration soultions from the manufacter(still have a couple ppm soultions from the manufacter).. i was wondering if anyone wants to confirm my purple powerade ppm levels tho? :D

20. Yes it does