Sexing

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Yoda, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Thanks but im just one of us in the city...;)

by prune you mean cutting the fan leafs?
    This can be done in flowering but needs to be done as a last resort, try tucking them out of the way, they may eventually die on thier own because the tuck caused them to be in the shade but when they die that way it causes less stress to the plant. cutting a couple blades on a leaf is better then removing it all..

Once the plant is flowering any stress takes attention off making buds, so at all costs keep stress levels down. If you do find urslef in a situation where the leafs are just covering to many buds and they have to be trimmed theres no choice then do it all at once and expect a day or two of slowed growth.

The light and dark schedule:
    the dark schedule is the most important. if there is a mishap make certain they get thier 11-12 hours of dark uninterrupted, loosing a light cycle is much better then disturbing a dark cycle..

hope that helps buddy..thanks for the kind words;)

2. what's up bud,thanks so much for answering so quickly I knew you would have the answer. Do you have a problem with me sending you a pm if I need to about questions I may have you seem to be very helpful to everyone on here. I'm having other issuse as well like heat for one and I jst wanted to chat with you about a few things if that is ok. Thanks again and just get back with me when ever you got time. I pruned awhole lot so I guess I will give it a few days and see what happens. Also is it ok to give the plants more darkness then 12 hours like 13 or 14?..........purp

3. no worries pm me anytime...
    the longer dark is ok but dont do it all the time...

4. Can you explain how to make a plant bulk out and get bushy? I want to grow 1 or 2 plants in a free-standing pantry with a 175w MH 6500k for veg. The pantry is about 2.5 sq. ft and 70" tall. You can get them at Target or Wal-Mart for about $90.

Basically, I want to try a bush. I have heard of topping and fimming. Heard of people cutting clones off vegging plants just before switching the light cycle. Where do you clip or trim clones? How do you identify a node? Do you clip on top of the node or under the node? How do you top a plant to make it split into 2 or 4 tops? How about a branch? Can you top or clip branches and make them split out into more?

Can I grow with 175w 6500k MH and then switch it to 2700k and simply change the light cycle to flower? Is that too much of a shock or is that actually the best thing to do? Keep the same wattage just change the color and time?

Or do I simply switch the light cycle and keep the 6500k 175W - then add about 75w of compact fluorescents in 2700k color? I have a high output compact fluorescent fixture with great polished aluminum reflectors from an old salt water fish tank. It's custom made with (6) 13w bulbs inside, high output ballasts and a cooling fan. I can buy these little T4 Biax bulbs in all kinds of colors from 2000k up to 20,000k. But is 78w of that 2700k color enough to trigger the flowering cycle and is it enough actual light in that spectrum to produce the buds?

I also have (2) compact fluorescent ballasts that will run 65w bulbs. So that would be 130w of compact fluorescent. I know it's possible to get these in 6500k, but not sure about 3500k or 2700k. They are 22" long with the 4-pin connectors. I can purchase a nice reflector from an aquarium supply house for about $25-$30. But I think I may be limited to color spectrum for just vegging. I've never seen a 65w compact fluorescent 4-pin 22" tube in 2700k color.....

I've got a mess of MH and power compact lighting here from being in the saltwater aquarium hobby for a number of years. I guess I need some help matching up the right combination of lighting from the main parts I have. It's no problem to buy bulbs for any of them. Just want to make sure I do the best with what I already have as far as ballasts and available light types.

Also need some help on all the different methods of clipping plants to attain different goals. As I stated above, my goal is a short, squat bush in a 70" tall free-standing pantry. Is 6-8oz of finished medicine a lofty goal for my first grow with the above equipment?

Thanks for reading. Appreciate any help.

5. #45 LBH, Nov 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2009
    Here ya go

Build a Bush

As for the 6-8 oz thing, there will be lots of factors involved in how much you get out of it. Initial equipment and set up is only the 1st stage.

You have lots of questions, and some good ones, but I suggest you address them individually, as you approach those stages.

For now, I would concentrate on establishing the environment. All that cfl talk has my head spinning, I'm pretty clueless with that stuff but I can tell you that my very 1st plant was a Pineapple Express under 375w of cfl light. I got an ounce from her. I immediately upgraded to hps from there so the cfl stuff I can't help with but the training stuff I can. Read the tutorial above and if you have questions, feel free to pm me or ask on that thread.

Good luck

6. This guys ok...;)

7. Um girl, guy, new growth? i dunno please advise.

Attached Files:

8. to early... does show some early signs of pos female though.. watch for two hairs in a V shape..

9. I was thinking it was a bit early still. I really want to just know lol. i kinda hope 1 or 2 of these 4 are male so I can give the others more space. look @ my grow journal to see what i mean. thx for the super fast reply btw :)!

10. Great instruction into sexing. Well written. Thanks.

11. You should see the sexing VIDEOS he made,lol.....unfortunately, it's a $29.95 entry fee to view that site....:rolleyes: :laughing:

12. Been under 12/12 for a week now. First plant showing this:

Male or female or too soon to tell? Looks like only one ball not a cluster but there might be on other parts of the plant. Camera sucks at close-ups...

Attached Files:

13. Looks Male, but too soon to tell I believe. I think a few more days will tell.

14. It showed 3 ball clusters and looked very like this after about an hour:

[​IMG]

So I "disappeared" it...

Talk about timing!

15. got 3 females :hello:

16. very nice buddy congrats

17. This is a fantastic read....thank you all who has contributed!

The biggest thing I've picked up here, is to just chill out and let them do their thing in the veg state. Every single time I THOUGHT I saw seeds, it ended also looking like a female, and vice versa. Finally, I'm just letting them enjoy the lights and the breeze. So far, no clusters of seeds......

18. Trashed 3 obvious males out of eight. One is definitely female. One died. the other three I can't tell.

Delayed? I'm nervous they are hermies...

19. I have a question. I have heard that you can tell sex early on by turning the light off for 24 hours and then revegging. Is this something that you would suggest doing?

20. I have never tried that honestly...
    I would imagine if she was mature enough it would work fine, but getting her back in growth mode might take some time,
    Usually the plants show them selves when they are ready to flower anyway..
    you want the plant to be mature enough to flower, when nthe nodes become offset on the main stalk, this tells you she is mature..

What you can do is take a clone off the plants keep them marked, take it as soon as they are big enough to top..use the top as ur clone....

throw that into 12/12 and you get ur sex while your veging and you wont loose any time.
    imo.....