Rate the last movie you watched!

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Dimethyltrip, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Get Hard 10/10
    That movie was hilarious

2. Planet terror 10/10
    one of my favorites.

3. Catch me if you can 9/10 DiCaprio is the GOAT

4. The Assassin (Chinese: 刺客聶隱娘)

4 or 5/10.

Im kind of not sure what to make of it. I dont speak Chinese, but I have enjoyed subtitled films before, or know a huge amount of chinese medievil history, maybe Id have enjoyed it more if I did.

The plot seems to make no sense and theres lots of talking about issues setting to a historical context but then very little happening in the story. In places it really reminded me of the early portion of the phantom menace (all the trade federation blockade stuff).
    Those are sins I would normally forgive in an action/martial arts film.

but I really dont think it stands up well as a martial arts film- there's no many fight scenes, theyre quite short, I dont think their very well done (theres points where you can see edits between different takes, if they couldnt choreograph it to work in one take they really need to cover it better with the choices of shot they use).
    And if it dosnt stand up as a martial arts film I feel I need to judge it on its story. There was a point where I felt like there was 20-30 minutes left, nothing had been concluded- then it just ended.

It also felt a little weird to have no score to the film, its disconcertingly quiet for much of it to the point where you feel bad about eating popcorn and you put it on the floor hoping for a loud battle to eat during.

5. I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang (1932) - 9/10

A lot of movies from this period don't tend to hold up well, but this Pre-Code film is artfully directed and full of action scenes that are ahead of their time. Itinerant construction worker and WWI veteran James Allen is unwittingly coerced into committing a robbery and sentenced to ten years of hard labor on a Georgia chain gang. Prisoners are whipped, beaten, served substandard food, etc. Allen manages to escape and build a life for himself in Chicago.

Years later, he is blackmailed by his girlfriend; she demands that he marry her or she will alert the police to his true identity. He marries her, but they both fool around on the side. He has a girlfriend, Helen, that he really loves. His wife eventually rats him out, but he is such an upstanding member of the community that there is a lot of support for him. The Georgia authorities promise him a pardon if he will serve 90 days.

He accepts the deal, but after 90 days he is told that the governor rejected the appeal for a pardon and he must serve several more years on his sentence. Just about broken, he escapes again, emerging from hiding only to say goodbye to his true love in one of the more ominous movie endings on record:

6. #16586 Buffalo Beano, Feb 7, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2016
    The last witch hunter - 6/10.

Predictable and dull but some of it was fun. Worth a rental but I'll never watch it again.

7. War starring Jet li and Jason statham. 8/10
    Good action in this movie and i'm a lady who loves action movies lol.[​IMG]

8. 13 hours: the secret soldiers of Benghazi 9/10. Shit was intense as fuck, acting was spot on

9. I'm glad you said that, because I am watching it tonight

10. watched Prometheus last night with my baby daddy 10/10 I hope they come out with another one as well.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Django Unchained 10/10. One of the best movies I've seen.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Inception 2/10

Sent from my SM-T210 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. Jurassic World 4/10

Effects were cool.

Acting was awful as was story writing.

I think the raptors were more believable than the human characters.

14. black swan.
    8/10.

Not a bad movie.

15. Just went and saw "The Finest Hours" with my dad.. Literally felt like he took me to a chick flick.

The acting was good on all fronts IMO.. Casey Affleck stood out like a diamond in the rough in the cast though, that guy is fucking great. Eric Bana's performance really bogged this movie down. Chris Pine was able to show he isn't just the star trek guy, good performance.

Chris pine's character has this little celebration blurb at the end, meanwhile Affleck's character, who probably had just as much screen time, if not more, kind of ended up being a loose end. The dynamic between Pine's character and Holiday Grainger's character was super, super, suuuuuupeeerrr fleshed out, probably more than it should of been, considering the movie is recounting an actual event in history; as i said, made it feel like i should have my girlfriend beside me or something, meanwhile theres my fucking dad rofl.

Overall, i would give it a 7.5/10, i'd like to give it more, the acting was a solid 9/10, but between Bana's performance and the whole arc between the couple, i think that is the ceiling.

16. Sin City

7/10

Good fun.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Deadpool.

9/10

without spoiling anything for anyone theres one character theyve done a thing with I dont like, but other than that fucking brilliant.
    Very funny, lots of action, even for people who dont know the comics it stands up as a good action comedy on its own.
    but also very true to the spirit and tone of the comics.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Kurt cobain: Montage of heck
    7/10 this one really knows what it is, it's like a self aware satyr for kurt cobain man, the animation was pretty good to

19. Hail Caesar!

I'm still trying to digest the film, but it definitely hits most of the Coen Brother marks. The film is rich with cinema meta and overall feels like a conflict between attempting to make a film with similar qualities to the ones that the cast is making within the film. I don't know if this takes away from the plot or if it adds another level of unique film making. Beyond that, it has a bang up cast, great use of sound, and the type of neo-noir that the Coen Brothers are famous for. I certainly would like to see it again to give it a more proper review, but as it stands right now, I'd give it a solid 7/10.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Run all night 7/10
    good movie it was better than I thought it would be lol sad ending tho.