How to get fat buds?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by SO CAL KUSH, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Yea molasses is a good one to add to your mix and its easy and can be used along side your nutrients. Even if your already using a carboload or a sweet its still a good idea. Even though they serve a similar purpose. The molasses will help your plants break down your nutrients and will give them a great taste and aroma. Most suggest 2-3 tablespoons per gallon. Diamonddss has it too, the bigger the boot the bigger the fruit i.e. Big pots big buds

2. yup i was gonna say about the temp also. if u get some co2 in ur room the plants can handle that 85' all day but they shouldnt be over80 at the high point, that is definitly a big cause to larfy buds. and you got more than enough light on ur space so id say fix that heat.

3. this is wrong^^^.
    plants feed on CO2 above ground (from the stump up lol), you need oxygen for the roots and to keep your nutes oxygenated. C02 tablets in your feeding water would likely suffocate your plants. either way i dont believe there is any benefit from adding Co2 to your water, nor have i heard of any decent grower using this method, EVER.

for the OP, these temp problems your having... have you tried insulation? Im in so cal too and that recent heat wave was putting some ugly peak temps up in my new grow room. I even have a stand alone A/C unit for it and it still got too hot for comfort. insulation is your friend in this case, since fluctuating temps isnt desirable it will certainly put a damper on things and make it alot more comfy for the plants

4. I have never heard of this either. lol.

I am now considering this. I might have to try insulation for the next grow. Your right, that recent heat wave was ridiculous, I still made it through a awesome harvest this time around though. I came to the conclusion that my problems were 2 things, temp, and supplements. I started using molasses and Humboldt County's Gravity, that combined with lower temps due to me running the ac constantly allowed my flowers to swell and gaini amazing density. I want to get a stand alone ac too, but after what you said, I'm not sure if it will make that much of a noticeable difference. Anyway, thanks to you for your input and to everyone else who had something to offer too. Happy Toking!

5. "Went out and bought Gravity after reading this. Changed my water and added this stuff to my normal mix on Saturday. I already see a sizeable difference and the buds are looking fat and resinous. Thanks for recommending this!!! On my next cycle, I'm going to use this in conjunction with Bushmaster."
    What SO CAL said! I swear by Bushmaster and Gravity! :hello:

6. Give them some molasses.

7. #27 Neth311, Sep 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2009
    Yeah, I'm sorta a newbie. I'm on my very first grow. But I'd say everybody else is right, about the temp being too high. You wanna match the temp that's outside for flowering. Around 76 degrees right now is average. The temp might not be so much of a problem, if you have proper air flow, and the humidity isn't too high.

Also, you might be using too wide a variety of nutes. Try sticking to one combo of nutes. Pick out what you think is the two best, and stick to those. The more you throw into the mix, the more complicated you make it.

I would also advise using molasses. I'm using a couple other organic nutes along with molasses. At the Link below my signature. But idk if I would use molasses in conjunction with the other nutes your already using. Stick to one or the other.

EDIT Oh, well, I just got done reading this whole thread, looks like you already harvested.

8. whattup ya'll? If you like Gravity, then try Snow Storm Ultra...same company....

also, to get some fat ass buds, try "lollipopping" ...When the plant is 3-5 weeks in veg, trim your branches of all node sites except the one at the very end of the branch and trim your plant to only 6,7, or 8 main branches...this will make the plant put all of the energy that it would have dispersed throu many buds into just 9 or 10 big buds

9. Thanks everyone for all their input. Everyone's ideas were pretty good. I think I have it finally dialed in now. On my last harvest, which was done about 3 weeks ago, I yielded 1 lb. out of 6 plants! I think it came out fabulous. I do currently use molasses in conjunction with Gravity for amazing results!!! Anyone who has any other ideas on how to get fat buds post them here!!! Happy toking!

10. General Hydroponics, FloraNova, Lucas formula. if you dont know about it look it up and educate yourself. alot of people swear by this formula. if you like GH products might as well try it. and if you dont like GH products, try it so they can prove you wrong lol.

11. I have used GH many times in the past, including FloraNova, and their 3 parts as well. I don't like them! I never have had great success using their products. I'm a OG TechnaFlora guy. The yields weren't that great and I always had problems with nute burn when using GH. But thank you for input. I just don't like using GH.

12. did you use the lucas formula??? you need to remember that all plants are different and these nutes are made to work for a WIDE variety of plants, not just marijuana... GH makes some of the best products IMO. and using FloraNova without knowing how to feed them properly will yeild poor results. if you use the lucas formula you will have amazing results, its extremely easy, tested and proven. just because you did what the bottle says to do and got bad results doesnt mean their product isnt good, you more then likely over nuted them, FN is really thick, you need to monitor your water regularly. did you use a ppm, tds, ph meter? if everything is kept in their proper concentration, your results should be amazing both yield and quality. sorry to hear about bad experiences but i still urge people to atleast TRY the lucas formula. GH gets this bad rep because the people using them dont know that there are these formulas that will fix all their nute burn problems, all of which will not be found printed on the nute bottles themselves lol

13. ^^^^^^^^^

You need to have a proper environment before you say you need additives. Tons of people use the lucas formula with bloom and micro nutes and 0 additives and grow the best budds ive ever seen or smoked. Thats because their growing environment is correct. You can add all the shit in the world, but if you just brought your temps down, you will probably get better results then adding anything.

I know its not easy or cheap to lower your temps 6 or so degrees but all I know is I use the lucas formula, and when winter comes and I can easily regulate my temps to 78 day and 68 night along with everything else being correct, then my buds are dense and heavy, but durring summer where i can barely hold 84 or so my buds are a lot fluffier. Just a thought.

14. i been using the snow storm ultra, i just bought the gravity on monday, fed once so far gonna feed again tomorrow. hopefully i get some good results like i hear from everyone. the ssu is great, im definitly starting to notice the purpling. humboldt nutrients is one of the best companies out. yea im gonna crack another window and put a charcoal filter over the screen somehow, that will definitly lower my temps by at least 5 degrees prolly 10 since i run the lights at nighttime. my max is 84 but i got c02 going

15. use xnutrient bloom spray , carbo load by advanced nutrients, and for the first 2 weeks in bloom still use ur grow nutrient...then finish with bloom enhancer....no bloom nutrient tho....i know it sounds crazy but hav faith....this will be the ultimate indica or hybrid...use 3 times the dosage on everything but flush with ph water everyother day....

16. oh yeh and finish with flushin solution,water just doest get that shit clear.....only flush 2 times tho...not for the whole last week like most say...watch ur tri chromes u dont want them suckin back to the stock and stems....by the way this is all outdoor situation.....i use gravel,potting soil ,just sum cheap shit,and pearlite...the fluffy compound is a great building block....fuck pots....they get hot ,or ur plant outgrows them,then it might struggle durring transplant....its just shit...put them in the ground or do indoor hydroponic...

and everyone suck a dick,coco cubes are the only way to clone....or rockwool...i hate jiffy cubes and i hate clone machines...they suck ass,half them all leak and its just a pain in the ass...everyone stay cool,hope this advice helps

17. Lucas with liquid karma and protekt in 5 gallon buckets

18. 3x8 with 2 600's, bump those up to 1000w lights. You are in socal, you can craigslist ballasts for 100 bucks if you try.

19. [quote name='"Gnomepunter"']3x8 with 2 600's, bump those up to 1000w lights. You are in socal, you can craigslist ballasts for 100 bucks if you try.[/quote]

This thread is three years old, I think he figured it out lol