Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

A Comprehensive Guide to Dealing with Police (No Snitching Involved)

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by sinsemillaplease, Jul 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nah what i mean is of course he is going to chase you but he is not going to taze you or chase you for 10 blocks then do a superman dive to catch you and im pretty sure they don't lose there job for not catching pot smokers i live in seattle so maybe its different there but if a cop saw me smoking in the park chances are he wouldn't even try to bust me plus i have ran through a park at night with a drunk girl on my shoulders (i wasnt trying to rape her lol) and the cops didnt catch me and i think that if he wanted to he could have done it in a second

2. haha, made me lol.

but yeah, you're in seattle. i'm in a shitty, small, bumfuck town in western PA, so the cops around here have a lot less shit to do, and busting a stoner would make their day.

3. :eek:

This is NOT a good idea. Fleeing and eluding is an arrestable offense. If you run from police and do not escape you have just voluntarily handed the cops probable cause to conduct a search of you and your belongings incident to the arrest. Why would you want to give up the rights that protect you from search? If you are behaving in the manner I suggested in the original post you have nothing to fear and no reason to run.

4. "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." - Text of the 4th Amendment

Without probable cause to believe that you have committed a crime they cannot search you or your belongings. Many cops will attempt to trick you into believing that extraneous property such as your backpack does not apply. This is patently false. Cops will also try to trick minors into believing they do not have the same rights as adults. This is also patently false. Minors actually have one extra right: The right to not be questioned without the presence of their guardian(s). (I included this because minors carry backpacks a lot of the time.) I hope this helps. :wave:

5. sinsemillapleas, did you study law at any point in time? Or did you just pick this up to stay safe after you started toking?

6. I'm a law junkie. Right now I'm a psychology major on a pre-law track. I intend to apply to Brooklyn Law and Fordham in NYC and hopefully practice criminal defense in NYC after graduation.

I forgot to add this...

Probable cause for arrest is very different in regards to misdemeanors and felonies. If an officer has probable cause to believe a person has committed or was committing a felony, they may arrest said individual. For misdemeanors, the officer must witness the misdemeanor. Probable cause to believe that the person has committed a misdemeanor is not enough to justify an arrest or a search incident to that arrest. If marijuana possession is a misdemeanor in your area, probable cause to believe you are in possession does not permit the LEO to arrest you and search incident to that arrest unless the LEO witnesses the offense. The strong odor of marijuana detected by a scent-trained LEO may constitute "witnessing the offense" in some areas so be careful. The law is vague in this respect.

7. That's awesome. I've been thinking about getting into constitutional law after
    I finish college (I just finished high school, going to a liberal arts college).

8. haha "no snitching involved"

9. Sticky this for sure. Probably the best guide for newbies other than how to spot a good deal from a bad one.

10. *bump*:wave:

11. #31 ChrisSmokes, Jul 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2009
    In my state we have "implied consent" if we are in a motor vehicle. idk what kind of rights we have there.. But I'm pretty sure its next to nothing meaning the cops can pretty much search the car even without evidence? Perhaps you can help inform me?

12. Which state are you referring to? As far as I know implied consent only applies to breathalyzers and field sobriety test but I can't be sure without knowing which state.

13. I like the guide except the search part. If you get pulled over and the cop asks for consent to search your car you should give consent. If you dont, the cop is going to make you sit there and wait for a dog to show up and then the dog is going to do one of those famous fake positives that will give the cops the right to search the car anyways. Refusing consent is going to light up a bright red flag to the cop and he is going to comb that car pretty well and also have a dog to use too. Where as if you had just consent, he would have looked at the common areas like the floor, center console, glovebox and be on his way. Far less likely to me of getting busted in my opinion then to make the cop get a dog and do shit the hard way.

14. Please don't be misled by this post. This is the absolute worst thing you could possibly do. NEVER consent to a search. Police are not permitted to detain you until the dogs arrive unless they have specific, articulable facts that constitute reasonable suspicion. Any search without consent and without probable cause will be thrown out in court. Refusing to consent to a search does not constitute suspicion or cause to search, arrest or detain you long enough for k-9 unit to arrive. Cops will try to scare you into believing that they will call in a k-9 unit but without reasonable suspicion they won't do this either. This guy has no clue what he is talking about and no knowledge of his constitutional rights. Don't be like sheep led to slaughter. Know your rights!

Repeat after me, "Sir, I do not consent to any searches."

15. #35 Laughing Grass, Jul 26, 2009
    Have you ever seen Barry Cooper's video's dude?? Plus if I were the cop and you didnt consent to my search I would find any and every reason to have probable cause...have you ever noticed when you get pulled over the cop usually trys to lean into the window? He is smelling for drugs and the cop can just say he smells weed even if he doesnt and have probable cause. Cops are trained lier's so dont think they wont pull that shit on you. Try getting a copy of Never get busted and Never get raided....I trust this guy over some dude on GC any day and I know my rights and I do know that alot of whats in those video's will save your ass.

Oh and I forgot to add that it should be common scents that if you are cool with the cops they wont give you too hard of a time, but if you make them go the hard long route they will turn into assholes pretty fast and you end up making the situation even worse then it was.

16. I won't be taking the advice of anyone who calls it "common scents".

17. Yeah right... so instead of taking the chance that he might search you in violation of your 4th amendment rights... you're recommending to guarantee a search by consenting. Once again... this guy is spreading extremely poor advice. I don't doubt most seasoned tokers know better than to consent. For all you apprentice tokers out there: Give yourselves a fighting chance in a court of law. Do not consent to any searches. EVER!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMjMPlXzdA"]Check out this extremely helpful video from flexyourrights.org[/ame]

And here is the Flex Your Rights website. The title bar reads "Just Say 'No' to Police Searches.

The host is the former director of the American Civil Liberties Union. His recommendation: Never consent to any searches. So who do you trust? The bill of rights and the ACLU or the poster above? The choice is easy...

18. #38 Dr. Neux, Jul 26, 2009
    Excellent guide. There's so much people could do to avoid getting caught if they just keep their head when encountering cops and follow all the rights they have.
    I suggest getting the book "Marijuana Law" by Richard Glen Boire for anyone who's further interested in this topic. It goes into great detail about property rights, searches, cars, homes, arrests, and more.

19. Beautifully written and very precise. Nice post man.

20. Really good thread. This is important information every United States citizen needs to know. Great Guide ! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.