Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

A Comprehensive Guide to Dealing with Police (No Snitching Involved)

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by sinsemillaplease, Jul 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. #1 sinsemillaplease, Jul 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2010
    MODS: I realize there is another guide to this matter. It is devoid of any specific legal information or advice and advocates voluntary submission of criminal information about drug crime, which is generally against the interests of blades. I would submit this info as an addendum to the previous thread but it would undoubtedly get lost in the commotion.

This guide is intended to inform you of your constitutional rights while in the presence of law enforcement officers (LEOs) while on foot, behind the wheel, as a passenger and in your residence. The information I have provided is based on my knowledge of the constitution and case law (I'm pre-law), information provided by Norml and flexyourrights.org, local conferences on racial profiling, and a fair share of common sense. The laws cited here apply in the United States. Though many of the tips offered here are helpful in any LEO encounter, some of the protections against search do not apply to citizens of other countries.

You should know that some officers of the law will undoubtedly take offense to your knowledge and recitation of your rights but this does not give them reasonable suspicion or probable cause for detainment, arrest or search as I will define them later. Feel free to post additional advice so long as you can support it with the necessary case law or something else verifiable.

If your advice includes consenting to a search keep it out of this thread. It is poor legal advice and against your best interest. Satiating the curiosity of LEOs may seem like a good idea but it is pure folly.

Any advice from a GC member attorney would be very helpful to us all. Without further ado, let me begin.

Edit: LostDank submitted a post on search & seizure law in Canada. Here it is for all you Canadian tokers out there.

TYPES OF POLICE ENCOUNTERS:

Friendly Conversation or Otherwise Consensual, Casual Encounters
    A law enforcement officer could at any time initiate a casual conversation with you. This could be in the form of a "Hi. How are you doing today? What are you up to?" or "Hey where you headed buddy?" or "Nice weather today huh?" etc. Definitively, a casual encounter is any time you speak to police with the freedom to terminate the encounter at your leisure. When engaged in a casual encounter you are not obligated to speak to the officer at all. You may refuse to provide a name or even refuse to open your mouth altogether. In most casual encounters it is wholly uneccesary to be this tight-lipped unless you have reason to believe that providing them with information could be detrimental to your freedom (ie you have high priority warrants or are on a name basis with cops as a wanted fugitive, etc). At any point in conversation you may leave without another word. If you are unsure of what type of situation you are in ask, "Am I free to go or are you detaining me?" If the officer does not have reasonable suspicion of criminal activity he cannot prevent you from leaving. The odor of marijuana does in fact constitute reasonable suspicion and probable cause if and only if the officer is trained in determing the length of time a residual odor of marijuana has been present.

Detainment
    If a LEO has reasonable suspicion that you have, are engaged in, or are about to engage in criminal activity they may detain you. A hunch does not constitue said suspicion and specific, articulable facts must be observed. This encounter is commonly known as a Terry stop based on the Supreme Court ruling in Terry v. Ohio. During detainment a LEO will ask you to identify yourself. In most cases you are required to do so and a verbal statement of your name suffices to satisfy the Stop and Identify statute. While refusing to provide a name does not constitue probable cause for a search or arrest it can constitute a crime in and of itself which could get you arrested anyway. Unless you have previously confirmed knowledge of a local statute that allows you to legally refuse, provide your name when requested. The 5th and 6th amendments allow you to refuse all other questions when not in the presence of an attorney. Pursuant to detainment, LEOs have the right to frisk your outer garments from head to toe for weapons, but not for drugs or paraphernalia. Detainment must be brief according to Terry v. Ohio so after a time ask, "Am I free to leave?"

Arrest
    A LEO must have probable cause to believe that you have committed a crime to arrest you. Under arrest LEOs are legally entitled to a warrantless search of you, anything you're carrying and your immediate surroundings. An arresting officer is required to inform you of your Miranda rights (if they want to question you), namely the right to remain silent, the right to have an attorney present and provided at the state's expense, and that anything you say is admissible in court. If you are not read your rights nothing you say is admissible as evidence. Biographical booking information is exempt from Miranda protection and must be offered subsequent to arrest. Keep your mouth shut and call an attorney.

LEO INTERACTION GUIDE WHEN YOU ARE...

On Foot
    If ever you encounter a LEO on foot while you are minding your own business, you are not required by any statute to even entertain their presence. If they say anything to you, you are not required to respond in any fashion. Minding your own business assumes that you are not creating reasonable suspicion of a crime.

Items or behaviors that could constitue suspicion, alone or collectively:
    (Not All-Inclusive)

- Odor of marijuana localized to the person or belongings
    - Disorderly Conduct
    - Visible Inebriation (Swerving, Heavily slurred speech, etc.)
    - Paraphernalia or illegal contraband in sight
    - Presence in public park or private (w/o permission) after hours
    - Excessive Noise
    - Evasive Conduct
    - Rapid concealment of items
    - Visible bulge at the waist or hand gesture to check for weapon
    - Breaking curfew (if underage)

LEOs may not take kindly to being ignored so use your best judgment to exit the situation as quickly as possible without evading. Don't forget, "Excuse me sir. Am I free to leave?" There is no law requiring you to carry identification on foot so you are also not required to provide it in a casual encounter. Be polite, respectful and calm and you will likely be left alone.

If asked, do not consent to any search.
    Refusing a search is protected by the 4th Amendment. As a rule, if a LEO has to ask, they do not have a warrant or probable cause to search you or your possessions. That being said, keep any illegal paraphernalia or contraband out of sight as police do not need a warrant or cause to seize illegal items that are in plain view. Also, do not attempt to destroy evidence. This would constitue an exigent circumstance under which a LEO could conduct a warrantless search. As always, don't answer any questions without an attorney present unless you are fully aware of your innocence and of sound mind to navigate the conversation without incrimination.

Behind the Wheel
    (See page 4 for an in-depth guide to smoking in your car)
    The requirements while driving are quite a bit different than what is required of pedestrians. To pull you over, a LEO must have reasonable suspicion as defined under Terry or you must have committed a traffic violation. You must provide a state-issued Driver's License, vehicle registration and proof of insurance. You are not required to answer any other questions, but to a point, cooperation can make for a friendlier encounter. Use judgement in determining which questions may harmlessly appease the cop and which may serve to incriminate you. Do not confess to any wrongdoing. You may be asked to step out of your vehicle by the LEO. Refusal is not an option but ask, "Am I free to leave?" to ensure that you are actually being detained.

Here is an outline of appropriate behavior following a traffic stop:
    1. Make no visible attempts to conceal evidence unless you can do so surreptitiously (w/o being noticed).
    2. Pull over fully providing the officer with enough room to safely approach the vehicle. Turn off the car but leave the ignition set to accesory as to allow raising of the windows.
    3. Do not reach for license or registration until told to do so. Do not store anything illegal near or with your license or registration. Turn down music.
    4. Roll up all windows leaving the driver window open only enough to permit conversation.
    5. Do not answer any questions, especially incriminating ones, except to invoke your 4th, 5th and 6th Amendment rights.
    6. If asked to step out of the vehicle roll up your window and lock the door on the way out. Pocket your keys.
    7. Remain calm and never physically resist.
    8. Do not consent to any searches and do not confess to any wrongdoing.
    9. Ask if you are free to leave.

LEOs with few options left to bust you will often threaten to bring in the K-9 unit. Do not fear these claims. If you are not being detained you are free to leave long before any K-9 unit could get to the scene. If you are being detained still refuse to consent to the search.

A Passenger
    The law is a little vague in regards to what is required of passengers in motor vehicles. To be safe and avoid further harassment, provide only a verbal statement of your name if asked. You are not required to carry ID so do not provide any. Refuse to answer any other questions and verbally invoke your 6th amendment right to an attorney before questioning in a polite and respectful manner. If not addressed by the LEO, keep your mouth shut and your hands still. It is important to note that in many states the arrest of a passenger gives a LEO the right to search the areas of the vehicle that are or were immediately available to the passenger, including the glovebox for front seat passengers.

In Your Residence

Your residence is the area most well protected from search and seizure under the 4th Amendment. If a LEO knocks at your door ask from a nearby window how you may be of assistance to the officer. Do not leave your property during the encounter. It provides you with many protections. If no window is present, step outside to speak to the officer and close the door behind you. Be sure to conceal anything illegal before opening the door. The plain sight rule always applies. A LEO is not permitted to enter your home without a warrant unless there are exigent circumstances (evidence of risk of physical harm to occupants, etc.) Remain calm and respectfully invoke your 4th Amendment rights against search if the officer requests to enter. Be as cooperative as necessary without incrimination. If the officer asks you to simply quiet down agree to do so. Do not confess to any wrongdoing. Do not fear a threat of a warrant if one is not present. Warrants require probable cause and if you've followed these guidelines you shouldn't have provided them with any.

IN THE EVENT OF A LEGAL SEARCH WITH WARRANT:

1. Do not consent to the search but do not resist. There is always the possibility that the warrant is invalid but if you consent they don't need it anyway.
    2. Do not provide assistance in locating anything. They cannot use this against you and there is always the possibility that they will not find anything they are looking for. (A warrant was served on my dorm and the cops left me a bowl in my backpack.)
    3. Shut up.
    4. Call an attorney.

IN REGARDS TO SNITCHING:
    1. In most cases it won't help.
    2. If you're not yet awake and you haven't smelled the coffee... We are living in a police state. Look at Professor Gates' case, look at the EMT who got pulled over and assualted by two Oklahoma state troopers, look at Shem Walker who got shot and killed by an undercover cop who was sitting on his stoop and refused to leave when instructed because he was wearing headphones and listening to a buy bust operation, look at David Mayo who was convicted after the cops secured a search warrant to his home based on a purchase invoice for grow lights that the cops never even had and never showed to the warrant-granting judge... the list goes on and on.

I hate that we have to be adversaries of those who we pay to protect and serve but that's the way it is. Our founding fathers formed the constitution to prohibit federal police but now we have the FBI, DEA, ATF, and Secret Service. We've slowly allowed police forces to take control of our rights and we haven't put in the proper checks and balances to keep them from becoming a bureaucratic, tyrannical force wrought with corruption. It is our supreme duty as citizens to stand up for our rights and the rights of others who police wish to destroy. Even dangerous drug dealers have rights and if they have theirs trampled its one step closer to complete loss of rights for all.

ITEMS TO KEEP ON YOUR PERSON TO AVOID CREATING REASONABLE SUSPICION:
    - Rhoto V eyedrops (They work the best. Do not use as a LEO approaches you.)
    - Febreze, Cologne or some form of odor neutralizer (Apply lightly and in advance of an LEO encounter.)
    - Backpack (To conceal any item too large for your pockets.)

LOCATIONS WHERE ENTRANCE CONSTITUTES PROBABLE CAUSE TO SEARCH:
    - Airports
    - International Borders
    - Concerts
    - Sports Arenas
    - Private Property

Here's a link to the NORML Freedom Card
    (A pocket-sized reference containing your rights when confronted by a LEO.

Thank you for reading and have a good, LEO-free day!
    :smoking:

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. hell yeah, no snitching +rep fo sho 1st post

3. Nice guide. Although if a cop came to my house, I wouldn't even open the door. I'd pretend not to be home.

4. Nice one-up on the snitch thread.

+Rep for a good, extensive thread.

5. Great guide, not all common sense like some other guides

6. Sorry bro but i'm hig as hell and noticed this right when I clicked the link to this thread. Do you mean surreptitiously?

7. Thanks... I'll fix that typo.

8. This should def be a sticky for real! Out of all things I would want to know as an apprentice toker, this would be it.

9. great guide.

better and more informative than that last guy's guide.

+rep for making a great guide. (and not being a snitch)

10. great guide man. +rep

11. good job on your guide, while I realize some people dis-approve of my actions I stand by them. while people may say that I am a snitch it is for the betterment of any user in my area. while people on grasscity may not appreciate what I do the people who live in my neighborhood certainly do, as I have been told. my best friend in the world said to me about a week ago that whoever was getting rid of the dangerous dealers was doing everyone a favor. I don't snitch because of what they sell, I snitch because of how they sell it :devious:

12. this is actually a great guide
    +rep :hello:

13. I understand you could avoid the dangerous dealers which is why I put this in the section for inexperienced tokers, they don't know this and it has probably happened to many people who were just getting to know the glorious herb. if something like that had happened to me I'm not sure I would have kept smoking

14. come on now. can we please not have that in this one too?

15. Thanks for this good guide unlike the other one :S

16. Great thread man, I have a question, are there any stipulations on having a backpack at all? Anything that may be good to know regarding a pack of some sort?

17. i just think you should add if a police officer try to arrest you or he is detaining you and you know you will be arrested RUN i know this sounds stupid or whatever but the way i figure it if he catches you you get charged with resisting arrest its not that bad and there is a good chance he wont because lets face it cops are fat slow and stupid i wouldnt suggest trying to get away if you are in a car though

18. you are very wrong. have you ever met any real cops? or just tv ones? most of the cops in my area aren't fat (i haven't seen any fat cops in my town), and they are smarter than you think. i'm not saying nothing gets past them, but they aren't stupid. sure, they enforce laws i don't agree with, but unsubstantiated statements like that don't need to be in here.

19. i was really just joking about the fat thing but at the same time yes i have seen fat cops around where i live not super obese but they are big and yes dude not to be mean but cops are kind of stupid or they wouldn't be cops and the simple fact is that if you run from a cop unless he thinks you are going to seriously hurt somebody or he is really bored and doesnt like it when people get away from him he probably wont try that hard to catch you i have ran from the cops and i have never been caught unless they knew who i was ahead of time and found me

20. i'd wager that they would still try to catch you, no matter what. being a cop is their job, and their job is to catch criminals (even though it's retarded to label certain people criminals, i.e. pot smokers), and if they don't do their job, they loose it. they don't want to loose their job. i'm sure that there are some cops who just say "fuck it", but they are most likely the small minority.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.