Want to slim down, tone up, or gain muscle? Ask me for advice on anything!

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by EASYlivin, Jul 22, 2009.

1. it's funny asking for this kind of advice on a forum dedicated to marijuana but regardless...

Hey Easylivin i'm about 5'9" and 170lbs, broad shoulders so the weight sorta evens out; not fat, just distributed on my stomach/thighs leaving me with spaghetti arms and a tree trunk body lol.
    I want to bulk up eventually if i can ever get myself into a routine & enjoy working out and to get started on that track but i just want to shave off some fat... i got a small belly and extra fat on my thighs i'd love to see disappear.

Suggestions? work your magic on me :p

2. P.S. I just followed your link to Revolution Health. Bench Fly's? Lat Raises? Curls? On a bulk program? You dumbshit.

3. P.P.S.

"Also if youre a soda/beer drinker. quit it. youll drop 5 pounds in a month just by switching to water."

How the hell can you know that without knowing how much soda he drinks/what his body type is like/etc. ??

Enough with the popfitness tips. You are giving these people seriously bad advice. I don't know what kind of thrill you get out of playing personal trainer, but seriously, play your games elsewhere.

4. #44 EASYlivin, Aug 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2009

Im not here to try and give the wrong advice. All im doing is giving some helpful tips so some of our GC members could get a little healthier. Im only here to help. If you have nothing good to say then why dont you go somewhere else? Instead, why dont you come to the thread with some more advice.. were all here to help.

Oh, and I did say go to the gym everyday. If you are taking a protein powder, your body can re-build in time in 2 days.

Im not guarenteeing that my advice will be the best. Im giving advice that I have given people in the past which has helped them lose/gain weight. I also have lost bodyfat, then gained muscle.

I could understand if youre attacking me on a bodybuilding forum, but Grasscity? for real? many GC users wont bother going for advice there. So why not here?

5. I could live a little healthier, so i might as well ask what you think.
    I'm 23, 5'10'', 210 lbs.
    I feel fat. i know im not "fat" fat but I could stand some slimming down. I smoke a few cigs and bowls every day(3-5 cigs, 1-2 bowls). I don't really drink much, and when I do its 1 or 2 drinks. In high school I lost 25lbs(down to 175) in 2.5 months when training for the tennis team, so i know what it feels like to not be overweight and I know what it takes. The problem now is I a)have no motivation to "train" b)no desire to diet. I'd like to start on a daily cardio routine but am afraid that it wont yield the results I desire (i'd like to get below 190lbs and lose about 2-4 inches of waist). Will a daily, hour long run on my eliptical do the trick? how long to you suposed that might take? should I suck up my pride and join a gym? Is there an easy way to diet without feeling like im either starving myself or only eatting crap for a long time? btw the reason i despise dieting is because when you stop the diet theres a high chance for a lot of weight gain.
    I also work 9 hours a day doing tech work lifting and moving 10lb computers but really i do a lot of sitting and waiting. like 5 hours of sitting and waiting; i use that time to catch up on books.
    Anyway, suggestions, thoughts, solutions, follow ups are all welcome. thanks.

6. Well you dont need to go to a gym for what you want. It would help speed up the process but!, When I was 17, I was 135lbs and 5'6". All I did was run 2 miles a day for 3 months, and I dropped to 115. I ate healthier too. If you drink soda, quit that. Switchover to water. And you really should just smoke weed over ciggs. Cigs will make it very difficult to run. If oyu run 1 hour a day liek you asked, that will be more than enough!, But You shouldnt go strait into an hour run a day after doing nothing.

Also, if you workout at the gym alot, then your body wants alot more food, which means that you will naturally lose weight. Your body will make alot of use of those foods. Try to start eating a little healthier. You dont have to only eat healthy stuff, but it couldnt hurt! ya know? Throw in a salad here and there. Look at the nutrition facts on the back of foods. If a snack is more than 6-7 grams of fat per serving.. thats not a good thing. And you want to stay farrr away from saturated and trans fat. they dont do anything but help gain fat.

YOu should ease into it that way you dont get sick of it immediately.

7. I quit soda at some point and lost like 10 pounds in 2 weeks, so yeah i understand that soda is empty calories. help me ease into a workout cycle. i think i can cut down to 3 cigs a day, but i know its gonna hurt when i start running. should i start with 30 min and work up to an hour in a week or 2? or should i just run until i've hit the mile mark no matter how long it takes? how much good will 30 min of running really do?

8. Maybe I did come on a bit strong, but I stand by what I said. Just because people on this forum might be more willing to accept sub-par advice, it doesn't mean that you should give it out..?

And no, even with creatine or a protein supplement you cannot recover from a strength-building workout in under 24 hours. Skinny freshman aren't supposed to lift two days in a row, NFL lineman aren't supposed to lift two days in a row. That should be one of the first things you learn when you enter the weight room. How can you not understand that simple concept? You've been around fitness for years?

That's like a stoner not knowing that you have to light the weed on fire to smoke it!!

9. #49 EASYlivin, Aug 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2009

Well youre misunderstanding my advice. I didnt say you can re-build muscles in 24 hours. I said 48. Hit the gym up everyday, but alternate working on different muscles that way it works out.

10. I'm 5' 120lbs (last time I weighed was last week, I fluctuate between 118 and 125)
    I'm a vegetarian (just for dietary info I guess).
    I'm also riding my bike for at least a mile every day or so (the heat has made me not so dedicated, but I plan to bike more as it cools down.)

I started riding my bike two weeks ago and have noticed a huge change in my appetite (2 meals a day went to about 5) and my butt is already shrinking *YAY*. I'm wanting to go down to my old weight of 112 or even 90 (how much I weighed when in japan) but as long as I can tone up and maybe go down a size or something in pants I'm happy.

My question is this.
    How can I make sure that my stomach and arms keep up? Theres a weighted hula hoop at work and I've considered using it but I don't know how much it would help since I can only spin it one direction and I don't know if it helps.
    Also I can't do pushups because my left wrist can't bend back that far sometimes, so I'm not sure how to tone up my arms...

Any advice?

11. should of read the rules. 18 and up in here.:(

12. Oh damnnn. he got u

13. 30 minutes of running a day is very good. Its good to get 30 minutes + of moderate exercise daily. Youll start dropping pounds pretty quickly if you run 30 min a day.

14. how come running before working out increases body fat?

15. Honestly, I dont know why it would increase fat. I saw it on a whiteboard at my gym.

But there is also another disadvantage..

If you were to run before, you would enter weightlifting in a glycogen depleted state. Your muscles can't use fat stores for energy as effectivley and will therefore not allow you to lift as much as you could, rendering your post-cardio workout useless.

16. Thanks alot man!

17. Okay.

I want to lose 35-40 lbs.

I'm 19 years old, 6 foot 1 and 205 lbs. I don't work out at all, I used to heavily during school (Weighed in at 175 with 225 bench max). i DO have a gym membership. Anytime fitness.

I drink a LOT of soda and eat ALOT of wendys. Or did. I haven't touched any of that in a week except sugar-free redbull to deal with caffeine deprivation headaches....

I don't know what to eat, when to do cardio, for how long, what type of cardio to do, if i should lift at all, etc.

I just want to lose 35 lbs and establish a new base fitness level.

Right now i've been eating a bowl of cereal every morning, then i pretty much just eat turkey sandwhiches and tuna. lol.

I also don't know how to deal with hunger, i fucking hate being hungry more than anything in the world, and being hungry causes me to binge eat really fast, and really bad foods. Just to get rid of the feeling.

I'm clueless. help!

18. Hey EASYlivin i'm wondering what advice you have for balancing out your body. I'm right handed and footed and so natully the right side of my body is stronger than the left. I know that's natural but I'd like to strengthen up my left side.

19. Hey EASYlivin, I need some advice.

I am 26 5'3" and about 150 lbs. I want to lose 15-20 pounds and gain muscle. I just started to workout with cardio for 30 minutes and then move to lifting weights 5 days a week. I usually wake up in the morning and about an hour later start my workout.

After reading the previous post, i realized i need to work out before my cardio workout. I take casein protein before workout and whey after. Then have a small carb snack. Because i workout in the morning, I skip breakfast and consider my protein shacks as lunch and weight till dinner to eat (slowly).

I want to lose 15-20 lbs to get rid of my belly, actually i dont care how much i lose , just want to get rid of the belly.

How should i alter my diet and workout plan?

Thanks in advance for your help.

20. 5'8 137 pounds. I can bench my body weight(135) but I want to look more cut, also, I have a very hard stomach and if I lay in the right position you can see my abs but if i just stand up it looks like I have a little fat, how should I get rid of this.

Basically I want to tone my stomach\chest and bulk up my arms.