Want to slim down, tone up, or gain muscle? Ask me for advice on anything!

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by EASYlivin, Jul 22, 2009.

1. [quote name='"Ancient Toker"']Hello, I'm 5'8 and I weigh 150-160 lbs. I don't want to get bulky, per se, but I want to gain noticeable muscle tone and definition. I also want to get real flexible, nimble, and fast, but I don't want to be a twig. I used to work out a few years ago, and I felt great, but unfortunately I've gotten off track over the years.

Also, I'm an asthmatic, which is a problem with running, and various activities like that.

Advice would be great! It's the New Year, so I want to start it off by self transformation, and self betterment, and to get out of these lazy habits that clutch me.

EDIT: I'm on a budget too, so I can't afford protein powder and stuff like that, I need cheap alternatives.[/quote]

Do full body circuit calisthenic routines. It acts as a cardio & muscle workout. It only takes about 20 minutes, but your going nearly nonstop that whole, you work up at your own pace though. In severely asthmatic aswell, the workout didn't give me problems.

Is you asthma exercise induced mainly or allergie caused?

2. Im 5'10 and a solid 190. I dont really look fat with a shirt but i definitly need to loose some fat. I have a gym membership. What should i do? I want to gain some more muscle as well but fat loss would be my main goal.

3. [quote name='"420Stillblazin"']Im 5'10 and a solid 190. I dont really look fat with a shirt but i definitly need to loose some fat. I have a gym membership. What should i do? I want to gain some more muscle as well but fat loss would be my main goal.[/quote]

Full body ciruit routines wwith super sets. You can use a gym equipment or just your body weight with no equipment. I recommend the calisthenic style over weights for the start. The workout Burns more calories than just cardio or weightlifting, and unlike cardio it doesn't hinder muscle growth.

You wont get buff by doing this, but your body composition WILL do a massive turn towards looking ripped and toll get cut. Once you get to a desired look, start normal weight lifting for strength with some calisthenics involved.

4. I appreciate the feed back, thank you very much! :smoking: I'll have to stock pile on tuna and eggs haha. I have access to a town pool, also, hiking, and various other activities in my region.

I'm beginning my fitness journey tomorrow :D

5. Thank you for the reply and information, I appreciate it :)

I've actually never heard of that kind of work-out, I'll have to do some research. In regards of my asthma, it's allergy and exercise induced. It's dangerous for me to run or sprint, I think jogging would be alright. I do want to work out my lungs though, so I can strengthen them and lower my chances for an asthma attack.

I use my inhaler quite a bit, and if I'm at home, I'll use my nebulizer treatment. However, I don't do much activity, so my lungs probably aren't in the best of shape lol.

I'm beginning my fitness journey tomorrow though.

6. Subbed
    I wan gain 30 lbs
    I'm. 6 3

Weigh. 150

Lift 3/5 day week
    Cardio almost daily min 20 min
    Usually walk for 40-60 min

Any advise on how to gain weight plz

I get full fast
    Thx

7. [quote name='"h2xhardcore"']Subbed
    I wan gain 30 lbs
    I'm. 6 3

Weigh. 150

Lift 3/5 day week
    Cardio almost daily min 20 min
    Usually walk for 40-60 min

Any advise on how to gain weight plz

I get full fast
    Thx[/quote]

Might want to cut out the cardio , those are needed calories being burned.

Cardio is usually advised during bulking because most people eat too much, but in your case the calorie intake is controlled so I'd recommended cutting back.

The only other option would be to eat more

8. [quote name='"Ancient Toker"']

Thank you for the reply and information, I appreciate it :)

I've actually never heard of that kind of work-out, I'll have to do some research. In regards of my asthma, it's allergy and exercise induced. It's dangerous for me to run or sprint, I think jogging would be alright. I do want to work out my lungs though, so I can strengthen them and lower my chances for an asthma attack.

I use my inhaler quite a bit, and if I'm at home, I'll use my nebulizer treatment. However, I don't do much activity, so my lungs probably aren't in the best of shape lol.

I'm beginning my fitness journey tomorrow though.[/quote]

I getcha. I use my inhaler a couple days aswell but its most allergy caused unless if I push myself way hard exercising.

Swimming is great for strengthening the lungs, remember there's plenty of Olympic athletes who have asthma, its only a disability if we let it stop us.

But yeah do some research on super set circuit routines. I recommend a full body calisthenic version, it wont make you buff but you will get cut. As your losing weight your muscles will grow alittle and All will grow more defined. Unlike just cardio, you will have muscle under the fat and not bones, and unlike just weightlifting you will lose fat faster.

9. Precisely, those are wonderful words! It's only a set-back, not a complete disability. It's only a disability if we let it become a disability. Dedication, determination, pace, and mind over matter my friend. All in due time. :smoking:

I just did a quick Google search on the workout, and it looks pretty incredible. You can do it pretty much anywhere too. I'm going to further my research into it, then put it into practice sometime this week. Thank you for the advice dude :wave: +rep for the aid.

10. I'm about 6ft 185. I've lost about 30 lbs working at fedex. I'm not worried about my weight, just want to get leaner

What kind of exercises can I do at home? My stomach can definitely get tighter

11. [quote name='"Ancient Toker"']

Precisely, those are wonderful words! It's only a set-back, not a complete disability. It's only a disability if we let it become a disability. Dedication, determination, pace, and mind over matter my friend. All in due time. :smoking:

I just did a quick Google search on the workout, and it looks pretty incredible. You can do it pretty much anywhere too. I'm going to further my research into it, then put it into practice sometime this week. Thank you for the advice dude :wave: +rep for the aid.[/quote]

Hey man thats what this forum is about, speaking and helping eachother out, thanks for Rep.

I also forgot another benefit of the workout I'm recommended is that it is all functional strength gained and you will notice daily activities being much easier.

You'll be fit, and compound exercises that are utilized such as pullups, squats, or bench press help raise testosterone much more than specified muscle workouts, like bicep curls or chest flys. Which will make you feel good all around and help muscle grow much more.