How do you get tighter buds??

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by SouthFLgrower, Jul 17, 2009.

1. My bud just finished drying after about 5 days, it turned out kind of loose. Not that bad but just not real tight nugs.

Also the bud is extreamly hairy. Any time I bought bud it never had hair like this. Did I possibly pick it to early??

Thx

2. What kind of lights do you use? How were your temps? Your buds look hella hairy because it didnt end up really dense. When your buds dry, they tighten up and condense together, which doesnt really happen to the hairs. the end result is all the hairs sticking out and appearing even longer than before. does that make sense?:smoking:

3. I don't know for sure as I've only ever grown with HID and I've always got nice dense buds, but I have read that the more intense the light the denser the buds.

4. yeah more light= tighter denser bigger buds. Did you check trich's to make sure it was really ready? Sounds like you chopped it a bit prematurely.

5. #5 leao, Jul 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2009
    I think higher temperatures have more to do with loose airy buds than the intensity of the light (unless of course you were equating intensity with high temps). Bud density also has to do with the strain type, sativas having a looser structure and indicas tending to be more dense. At any rate, the drying will help tighten the buds but 5 days may have been a bit short of a proper dry.

As far as the time to chop, it's best to use the microscope to examine the trichs and harvest when at least all have turned cloudy and a small percentage are amber. However, the ratio of cloudy to amber trichs (70/30, 60/40, etc.) is really more a question of personal taste and can also be related to what may bring out the best in a particular strain. For example, for a more sativa dominant plant, it may be better to harvest with as few amber trichs as possible, and for indica dominance it may be best to harvest with at least 60/40 (cloudy/amber) to bring out more of the body high. But again, I think it's really personal preference for the type of high you want that should determine when to chop. Good luck with the final stages and don't neglect the cure, it's well worth the wait!

Peace and :smoke: