Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Why you need to have your medical records and a real existing qualifying condition!

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by WildWill, Jul 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. If that's what you get out of my posts, then you don't understand a thing about my views.

IF you have a qualifying condition (and of course, there are TONS), then get yourself checked out by your GP, get your records and go see a REPUTABLE MMJ doctor.

I have no problem with everyone who has a qualifying condition getting their MMJ recommendation whatsoever. NONE.

What I DO have a problem with is people who want to game the system, as you so nicely put it, to use a LOOPHOLE to get access. That's my issue. YOU are the ones who are putting our system in danger.

Again, if you follow the rules, get your card legally from a reputable doc, then we're fine.

I'm not here to judge anyone else's pain or medical condition. I'm not a doctor and neither are any of you. I advocate for the current MMJ system to continue BECAUSE IT'S ALL WE HAVE. But I"m not going to advocate committing a felony in order to become 'legal'.

2. have you ever thought that maybe people don't want to have to pay upwards of 150 bucks just to be able to have some legal protection? most of the "reputable" doctors charge insane amounts of money for protection that should be free. so why not go to some random doctor, who is doing the same thing for 79 bucks?

you completely missed my point, and that point is that we're doing whatever we can however we can to gain some kind of protection from corrupt laws. YOU DON'T NEED MMJ. YOU CAN BUY FROM THE SAME PEOPLE WE DO. you just want to be protected, and so do we, so why not take advantage of this system? it's not like anyone takes MMJ seriously anyways, and if you think they do, then shame on you.

sure there are documentaries with physically handicapped people raving about MMJ, but they dont need a card to get their medicine, they need a cell phone and a dealer. the difference is they want to be legally protected, just like we do.

and anyone can go and lie to the doctor, just to get the conditions put on their record, does that make it anymore legitimate? nope.

edit: and i laugh at the whole "it's all we have" thing. i have a few numbers i can give you, and you get to save 100 bucks a year on renewals. you game? so what makes you any different from anyone else trying to get the same protection? a few words on your medical records? give me a break.

3. #43 svenxis, Jul 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2009
    i don't have a med card yet because the street quality around me is topnotch, but i am considering getting one. this isn't because i like to get high (which i really really do), but because i have a 18 degree lombardian scoliosis with a lot of twist/torque among other alignment problems. this causes me pain 24 hours a day 7 weeks a month 12 months a year, and has been doing so for the past 6-7 years. i'm still fairly young and my condition can degenerate up to a degree every year. the condition is extremely painful and as you've suggested, i can use prescription pain-killers (such as codein, demerol, etc); however, this overlooks the fact that such painkillers are health destroyers over long periods of usage. to be truthful, prescription drugs are the BEST for actual painkilling, but marijuana allows me a good amount of pain-reduction in my life that i can rely on every day without the crazy highs and lows that some painkillers can give you over extended exposures.

the whole point of the mmj movement is to provide a medicine to people who need it while keeping it away from people who don't. what most people are doing is making an excuse, as you've said, to obtain a license to smoke. however, there are legitamate people out there who need mj not only for recreational fun, but as a way to cope with whatever serious pain/illness they have. you can't call this an "excuse to get out of trouble," because that's what it might be for you, but not for a lot of others, specifically, the ill people for whom mmj has been introduced.

don't be hijacking mmj and saying the whole system is set up so that people with convenient "excuses" can smoke for the pleasure of smoking without getting caught.

okay, if picking up from the clinic is a legitimate way to get herb, then the way we do it, get it from dealers, have illegal grow ops, would be called the illegitimate method.

sort of like buying candy from the guy around the corner and going into the convenience store to buy it, if you get what i mean.

the reason for mmj is so that there will never be periods of dryness (which can happen on the street) and so that there will be a specific place for such products/services to be sold. what you said there is like saying "WE DON'T NEED THE POSTAL SERVICE...WE CAN DELIVER THE MAIL OURSELVES!"

i don't disagree with you in that EVERYONE can get herb on the street, and if you're trying to get it to get protected, then yeah, that's lame. what i'm saying is that you shouldn't be undermining mmj when you don't have (or mentioned to have) an illness that would warrant mmj for you. think about the person with chronic, nonstop pain who wants some mj instead of vicodin or codein to control pain but then having to find out their dealer is "dry." for purely recreational smokers, its just a bummer to be out, but for people in pain, that's a (insert length of time) hour/day sentence for continuous pain.

4. everything after the part about painkillers being better for pain is just a cop out, plain and simple. you dont need MMJ, you want it because it HELP alleviate the pain, while getting you faded. the FACT is that no one uses weed JUST to take care of problems, everyone just wants to get high, it just so happens that weed can also help alleviate certain pains.

i dont want you guys to get the wrong idea. i like MMJ, the guy i buy from gets his shit from a club. but if you don't think that probably 90% of the people who have cards have it just so they don't go dry, then you're not seeing the big picture.

the real discussion shouldnt be, how can we make MMJ more legitimate, it should be, how can we make marijuana more legitimate.

5. #45 WildWill, Jul 23, 2009
    Because those doctors aren't legitimate, and their recommendations aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

We are most certainly NOT on the same page here. First, who are YOU to tell me that I don't need MMJ. You do not know my conditions or reasons for needing MMJ, and even if you did, you are not qualified to make that assessment, unless you've spent four years in college, three years in medical school and have done the residency required to get your MD. Also there are HUNDREDS if not THOUSANDS of people who take Medical Marijuana VERY seriously. I dare you to go to an ASA or GLACA meeting and tell those people that no one takes MMJ seriously. That statement is about the most ignorant thing I've seen lately. The people who wrote Proposition 215 and Assembly Bill 420 certainly took the laws seriously, and the Police Associations who wrote that White Paper certainly take it seriously. Just because you cannot see outside your little bubble of a world, doesn't mean that differing opinions aren't out there, and that your views are the gospel truth.

BULL and SHIT. Tell me that 40+ year old arthritis patients who aren't getting relife from OTC medications or prescription pharmaceuticals, AND HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO GO ABOUT GETTING POT ON THE STREET are in the same situation. You are buying into the propaganda that the Feds, DEA and police are spouting, that there's no medicinal value for MMJ, and you're all flat wrong. Until you expand your view of the situation, your point is worthless, as is your opinion.

Sigh....clueless again. If you LIE to your doctor about chronic pain, you don't think they're going to figure it out? If you say "hey I have pain in my side", and then don't exhibit any symptoms of that pain when the doc lays hands, you think they're going to believe you? You are very naive.

I don't need help from you. In fact, I don't even need to read anything else from you. EVER. You go on about your legalization, see how long it takes you. In the mean time, I'll do whatever I can to ensure that safe access is available for all MMJ patients.

Thank you for reading, but you need to expand your mind more.

Edit: Discussing the illegal diversion of Medical Marijuana to non-MMJ patients is against TOS of this board BTW. The act itself is also illegal and is the behavior that MMJ opponents SPECIFICALLY target when they shoot down MMJ in other states. But whatever works for you right? As long as you get yours, everyone else can go to hell right? Or at least fund their street dealers.

I forgot to mention, that by going to collectives and non-profit dispensaries, we also FUND the advancement of quality genetics and legtimate grows, and we're NOT funding the Mexican drug cartels who control a large portion of the illegal drug activity in this country. By being legal MMJ patients we get meds that are 100% grown in California by other patients.

6. Abuse the system. burn down Babylon

7. #47 dankstagof, Jul 23, 2009
    your mind is so filled with "holier-than-thou" typical MMJ bullshit that is spewed everywhere. YOU DONT NEED MMJ. marijuana should be legalized, period. YOU obviously don't support legalization, because it seems you only focus on a certain group of smokers. secondly, if my mind was filled with DEA bullshit, then i wouldnt be on here talking about smoking. get off your high horse and realize that we all want the same thing. it seems to me that you can't take a joke at all, especially when sarcasm is involved. i wasn't offering you dealer numbers, i was making a point. 40 year old people can find weed just as easily as someone who's just begun smoking recreationally. there are medications for arthritis, and almost every other "case" that can lead to MMJ. also, how is a doctor going to verify that someone does not suffer from chronic migraines? or chronic back pain? they can't. the simple fact is that you want your club to remain a club, while the other pot smokers who actually care enough to argue these points want EVERYONE to be able to enjoy the therapeutic and recreational advantages of smoking weed.

I've already stated that I am someone who could legitimately use a MMJ card, but due to financial strains, i choose to use my extra hundred bucks on weed, because if i got a card, i would have to wait a long time to be able to buy any amount that would help medicate me. but it doesn't matter. you're going to ignore half my post, and just talk about the same things over and over and voer again, and nothing is ever going to change. the only difference between you and me is that you paid 100 bucks to get some protection, and that isn't an option for me, at least not right now.

and all the acceptable "illnesses" have way more legal remedies that marijuana. sure they might not be as chemically compatible with our bodies, but they get the job done. so a 40 year old with arthritis shouldn't be looking for weed, he should be looking for prescriptions, because I highly doubt anyone here has gone to a GP, and actually been referred to a MMJ doc. if i'm wrong, let those users PLEASE correct me.

and the illegal diversion of MMJ to non MMJ-users comment is just a childish way of trying to enforce your policies on me. I AM SUPPORTING YOUR GROWERS JUST AS MUCH AS YOU ARE. but it was purely hypothetical. keep on talking about a small percentage of people who "really need" marijuana. what a joke.

8. #48 WildWill, Jul 23, 2009
    It's obvious to me that you don't even understand the situation, so that's all I have to say to you. You're going on ignore. You're 20 years old, you haven't even been on this planet long enough to form valid opinions on this matter. Until you do, your words fall on deaf ears.

FWIW: I am NOT against full legalization, but I am a realist, it's not coming soon. We have to protect what we have already, if you don't understand that, you don't understand a thing. Your perspective is skewed by your youth, while that's fine in some aspects, in this situation, your grasp on reality is tenuous at best.

9. i think you just proved my point, because age really matters when it comes to opinions. have fun with your medical card, i know i will.

and even though it's irrelevant, since i am on ignore mode, i didn't use my real birthdate. you're a joke, and a terrible example of a pot smoker.

10. #50 svenxis, Jul 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2009
    no, if marijuana relieved my pain without the high, i'd still smoke it. if you were really sick/in A LOT of pain, you would understand. i went 2 years on a PLETHORA of prescription medicine, and i subsequently ruined my health because i took such large amounts. the only reason (other than recreational use) i use mj constantly is because it lacks the kind of long term effects i found prescription drugs to carry with their use. so yeah to you, its "i get high + it gives me pain relief" to others its "it gives me pain relief + i get high." its a subtle difference, i know, but one that divides people whos first objective is to smoke to get high and those who smoke to get pain relief with the high being an added benefit. when you have pain thats oppressing you every moment you're awake, you need all the joy you can get, but if that meant smoking mj would get me high and not relieve pain, i would probably smoke A LOT less mj.

don't be telling people that THEY'RE missing the big picture when, clearly, you haven't thought the situation through as extensively as you should have before speaking. yeah, no shit a lot of people on the mmj program are just using it to stay on deck/safe, the point is that there is that 10% or however much of a population who really needs this shit just to function in their lives. if there's a legitimate reason for anything, a group of people who need a currently illegal medicine, then that means the system in place has a legitimate right to exist and operate in a legitimate manner. at the end of the day, what it sounds like you want is a system that will accept your smoking no strings attached, no matter what. now while that day might be coming in the future, there's a good reason to allow mmj to exist fully NOW. the current system is obviously below its potential because there are a lot of people who have their cards for the wrong reasons, but that is in no way an indicator that the system should be torn down, as long as legitimate patients exist in numbers.

if anything the system should be fixed to allow it to work as first intended.

down the road, if mmj works out, maybe then a full legization process could start, but as of now, you're trying to overstep the first steps of the mj movement as a whole. society at large needs to be familiarized with mj and that it won't create chaos. i'm all for fully legalizing marijuana, but that's later on bud.

as much as people hate establishments and systems, the fact of the matter is that everyone lives in one, and the mmj program as you see it is an effort to bring mj into the system on some level. why would you try to hijack/abuse/talk down on such a process?

the "system" isn't going to flop over for you, so get used to it.

11. Aw, Will, I loved how thoroughly you owned that guy, but bringing age into it? At just shy of 22, I'm hurt. :(

P.S. Why hasn't this been stickied? Seriously.

12. EVERYONE please be more respectful in this discussion.

chillax
    Forum Moderator

13. :hello:

I was just in California a couple weeks ago and they have doctors that will get you recommended right there on the beach, (they have botox on the beach too btw)

And seeing how it was there, it seems like its silly for anyone to have to fake any sort of ailment to get weed, since they will give it to you for almost any reason anyway...

You have headaches, or painful stomach cramps every mornin? Bad depression? Anxiety? You can probably get a card. And I don't think this is a bad thing. If you can benefit from the medicinal qualities of weed, then you should have the right to choose marijuana as your medicine.

However these people should not be confused with people who need mmj for their livelyhood.
    Certainly someone on chemo needs it more than someone whos got a little headache (Personally I've never found weed to do anything for a headache...)
    And anything that would jeopardize this program that helps so many people who have no better option than weed to make it through each agonizing day should not be tolerated.

OSG once told me that these incidences of people abusing the system not only threatens what we already have (MMJ programs in 13 states) but also threatens what we strive for (MMJ in ALL STATES). And this i see as even more of a threat then the concern of losing MMJ in states that already have it. (not saying it can't happen! just saying it is less likely)
    Any evidence that opponents can dig up about people abusing MMJ THEY WILL USE IT AGAINST IS TO SLOW DOWN THE MOVEMENT!!!

What may have taken 10-15 years could now take 30-40 or even never if they have enough support.

So don't fuck with the system, please. If you think you can benifit from weed, go talk to a doctor, state your ailment, get your card and medicate yourself. But don't be another asshole who got his card just so he could get high legally.

:hello:

14. wait, so if i have real medical proof of my condition im safe right? Unlike others, i actually suffer from anxiety/depression, and have been to a therapist, and have taken medication, imo therapists are a waste of money, or at least mine was, and the medicine changed me in a negative way, this is why im going to try mmj

15. IQ - you at 22 are much more mature than the other goof at 20. I brought age into the equation because at 20 years old, this kid has already made up his mind and isn't willing to even LOOK at the other side of the picture. And the shit he spouted was really immature.

Absolutely, you've got the records and the prescriptions, bring them to a reputable doc and you're good to go. Again, MMJ is not some sort of 'club' that I don't WANT people to join. You've got a qualifying condition and documentation, MORE POWER TO YOU!

16. cool, and thanks for the quick reply, i have 1 more question, is it cool if i pm you?

17. Beautifully stated. I know I haven't always agreed with you in the past, but this time you're dead on. When I can give more rep out you're getting + from me.

18. That would be Venice Beach you speak of, and I've never spoken to those "doctors" or their staff, but those places look shady as hell to me, and the way they peddle their "services" on the boardwalk makes me want to puke. IMO these are exactly the kind of operations that need to be shut down.

Agreed, and I wasn't actually offended, by the way- although I do hate sweeping generalizations based on something like age (or race, or gender, or whatever). ;)

19. WoMaan, you are good :smoking: those are just the ones I was talking about
    as for the reputablilty (Is that a word) of the places, i cannot comment on since i didn't actually go into one

And thanks will for the kind words, they mean that much more coming from someone with so much reputability :D

and to danks... lets just say this, some people will live and learn, and some will live and remain ignorant... what will you be?

PS: FIST!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.