Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

MMJ for vitiligo and depression

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by pioneer, Jul 13, 2009.

1. So I am going to try to get a MMJ card. I have a skin disease called vitiligo. For anyone who isn't familiar with it, it causes the loss of pigment in your skin and turns in white in bloches across your body. There is no cure, but there is a cream that can sometimes (depending on the person, everyone reacts differently) control it. It is the disease that Michael Jackson had. He began to have white spots on his face caused by the vitiligo and opted to take a pill that kills all of your pigment so you are pale all over, one solid color.

My reason for the MMJ card is depression, which is probably more caused by other issues but I am going to say vitiligo because I have it on every limb of my body, im on the cream but it has done little to nothing and it continues to get worse. I have no records of depression or solid proof that I have it...

Do you think I will be able to get approval? Any comments or anything? I am going to use CannaMed referral service when I go back to school in Denver in September.

I know that a lot of people on these forums have serious need for MMJ and they have serious problems, so know that I am not trying to offend anyone by asking if I can get MMJ when it isn't completely necessary.

2. Does MMJ actually help Vitiligo? They won't give it out in Colorado for just anything.

3. Nope, as much as I've heard/researched there is no physical benefit for vitiligo from MMJ. Marijuana has helped me deal with social anxiety and depression so having a card would be real nice.

4. have you considered trying chinese medicine to treat it?

I know that western medicine views it as basically untreatable but chinese medicine disagrees. If you can find a traditional chinese doctor somewhere near you then i'd say its worth a try.

5. #5 Storm Crow, Feb 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2011
    I have absolutely nothing on cannabis and skin pigmentation. However, the endocannabinoid system seems ti be involved with dang near every thing else*, so it wouldn't surprise me if a cannabis salve would actually help. At the very least, it's good to your skin.

So, I'm going to give you the quick version on how to make your own! It's actually easy to make oil based salves.

What you need-
    canna-oil
    bees wax
    (optional scent- lemon, almond or mint extracts from your kitchen)
    a pyrex beaker, ceramic cup or other heat-proof container
    a gentle heat source- I use a coffee cup warmer
    A large bowl filled with cold water
    a spoon
    something to put your cream in

I presume you know how to make canna-oil. If not, run a search- there are plenty of recipes. So make a little bit up, even stems are OK to throw in. A half cup of oil will be plenty!

You take your half cup or so of canna-oil and add a big lima bean-sized chunk of real bees wax (sewing, health food, or craft stores have it. It's a little hard to say exactly how much you need since some bees wax is slightly whipped to brighten the color and make it look bigger.) Gently heat (I use my coffee cup warmer) until the wax is melted.

Once the wax is dissolved into the oil, take it off the heat and let sit a couple minutes. Then put the cup into the big bowl of cold water and stir as the mix cools. This is also the time to add some lemon, mint or almond extract so you don't smell exactly like a certain herb! [​IMG] It will continue to thicken a bit after it reaches room temperature, so it is best to get it into a jar fairly quickly.

Let it sit for an hour or so. If your end result is too thick, reheat and add a little oil and cool while stirring. Too thin, reheat and adding more beeswax and cool while stirring. You can adjust it to your own liking, from a thin oily cream, to a rather stiff salve- just depends on the proportions of wax to oil!

As for getting legal, in California, depression is a qualifying condition. If the salve helps in any way, then so is vitiligo! (It's nice living in a fairly sane MMJ state- but even our laws are too restrictive! No other half-way safe herbal medicine is as restricted as cannabis!

In the meantime, become an activist! See that first link in my sig? Click it and read. Then send a few articles where you think they might do some good- unenlightened friends and relatives, doctors and, especially, local politicians.

Hope that helps!

Granny :wave:

*From setting off the infant suckling reflex, to modulating intestinal motility, to pain control, to fighting off cancers, to protecting the nerves and a whole bunch more! Read Dr. Russo's "Clinical Endocannabinoid Deficiency" in my list for details.)