Simple Harvest and Cure (Step By Step)

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Rumpleforeskin, Jul 10, 2009.

1. this is so informative thanks

2. Heya Rump, have been enjoying all of your threads the last couple weeks. I have a question for ya.

I don't really have access to a dark space that is well ventilated. Would it be ok if I hung my nugs from a wire inside of a big paper bag? Then could i just leave the paper bag either in my grow cab or in the closet my grow cab is in?

Also, what is the reason for layering the buds in a bag rather than just leaving them to hang for another few days? If it is ok for me to hang them in a bag, would you recomend i still layer them or could i just let them hang for a week give or take a few days?

Thanks for sharing your wisdom, many people are becoming better growers thanks to you.:hello:

3. alright I followed your guide to the tee, I was really worried when it all started smelling like wet hay one about the third day of hanging. but I went by what you said, it is now on about its fourth day in the jars and feels, smells, and looks awesome. Thanks again, more rep on its way..

4. You have to use what you got. Important thing is it's dark, cool and dry.

Manicuring and seperating the buds from the main stem will allow all of it to dry evenly. Big buds tend to hold in more moisture then smaller ones. So it needs to be cut up if you want it to all dry at the same rate. It would be hard to hang up 2500 small buds and it would be too wet if you tried to put whole branches in bags with shredded lunch bag.
    So you hang them a few days to get the bulk of the water out. Then cut it up and place it in a bag of shredded lunch bags to finish the drying process.

There are a 100 other ways to do this process, like placing the buds on a screen after manicuring. I have even seen people make pretty cool drying boxes. But I find my way simple and fool-proof (most the time).

• Like Like x 2
  5. Nice reply, very informative thank you! I can see how hanging that many buds would be a pain in the ass. My setup doesn't yield near that amount unfortunately so i may opt to break up and hang all my nugs. So, theoreticly I can leave them hanging the entire time as long as they are'nt too large correct? Also, do you know if the bag would restrict too much air flow? Can i just open the bag a couple times a day to exchange the air? Thanks again.

6. Ive got a question about curing

I only have access to a few mason jars and a couple nice glass jars, would a nice plastic container work? I wouldnt stack all my buds in one, i would probobly use a few different containers. Will this still cure my bud correctly?

7. Wow, good question. My answer is only a guess. I have no facts to back up my opinion.
    Plastic gives off slight petroleum vapors as it decays. This may give your bud a different smell (might smell like sour diesel :D) or high. If given the choice I would use glass. But I have used hard plastic vacuum sealed jars without issue.

8. I guess im gonna have to look for some mason jars!

9. What do you do with the trimmed leaves in the paper bag? or did i miss that part?:confused: Great guide, i'm just about to harvest my first grow.:)

10. I made a batch of bubble hash out of it. Everyone does different stuff with the bud trim and leaf.

11. What method do you use to make your bubble hash? If a person isn't going to make the hash right away should the fresh trim be frozen right away, or dried out thoroughly and than frozen? Or just stored dry?

12. that was just amazing

13. Good question. I know it has to be dried completely. Not sure how long it can be stored. I have kept it for 4 months (no freezer) before having a hash making party.

I use bubble-bags to make my hash.

• Creative Creative x 1
  14. Great thread I figured I would think ahaead here and get a good idea of what to do before harvest. I have grown before but I never did a proper cure this is an excellent thread well laid out and very simple. Thanks I am feeling great about harvest time now.

15. That's actually a great question: anyone have any insight how long buds can be kept in mason jars and retain their flavor and strength?

16. if they are dried right you can keep them 6 monthes, thats what my old care giver told me. I myself have only had it 3 monthes and it was perfect

17. Good guide.

18. OMG! This was the best read I've seen in a while...

Thanks a LOT for this.. I know where I'm comin when its harvest time!

19. im diggin the guide my friend, very simple to follow, thanks alot

20. Do you find paper bagging them necessary? i've always read to just dry them until the stems snap and then jar them.

currently at 7 days drying my stuff feels pretty evenly dry and the stems are snapping, so should I try bagging them or just go right to cure?