Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Marijuana and OCD

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Sensi Enthused, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Do you think you can get medical for OCD?

2. i used to wonder if i did.. i just would focus on stupid shit that had to be done for no reason... like i'd check if my bedroom door was closed 50 some times before i'd actually go to bed.. now i don't, I'm sure weed has had some of that effect

3. I also have OCD, I've only tried Nug and it didn't seem to help me out, any suggestions on what strains to smoke to eliminate or at least get my OCD under control???*** Thanks.

4. Update - I've now smoked like 6 times and it tremendously helps my OCD - Mids and Nug. When I smoke it's like I'm finally "Normal" and of course with the great feeling of being high.:D:D:D

5. i have never been diagnosed with any mental conditions, but im pretty sure i suffer from bi polar disorder, general anxiety disorder, and OCD. marijuana has helped immensely with my problems; when i smoke, i can just act normal. i find that i enojoy the effects of indica strains much more than sativas. blueberry and strawberry are good strains to smoke for these disorders, but most of the time i prefer to buy white russian (hybrid of white widow and ak47) or purple haze.

6. i realize this is an old thread but im sure someone will see it eventually. Since i started smoking weed regularly ive noticed i care less about performing the rituals that i use to because of my OCD. Don't know if it directly related or not but i feel like it is at least. Ive had OCD since i can remember and it really affected my sleeping habits when i was younger. Since college though i feel like weed has def helped me sleep better and help me not care about doing rituals. It also made me not care about other shit too, lol, but my OCD was so bad it was worth it. Im not saying to be a pot head ur whole life but when ur OCD acts up it really helps.

7. don't know what the latest science journals say, but through my own life experiences it's become pretty clear that OCD is a natural part of everyone's lives. i watched a friend spark the same conversation over and over again, probably 20 times in one chill session, and he hadn't the slightest clue, and neither did most of the other people there. they just kept answering the conversation in the same way they would have the first time they heard it. it's all about how much you want to see OCD, but it makes sense that it would be beneficial in the evolution of humans, like instinct and shit etc.

8. I used to have OCD, till I found cannabis.
    My house used to be soooooo clean, till I found cannabis! LOL
    My priorities have changed, since I found cannabis.
    All of the above are good things. :smoking::)

9. My OCD was brought on by heavy depression. I take medication for it but I do notice that I give less of a damn when blazed. When up I feel calmer and lighter. Like if there's less on my chest.

But the day after is anxiety plus.

10. According to the book " Marijuana - The Cannabis Grow Bible" it list a butt load of pure strains. "Blueberry (Don't know if it's the same one)" has mostly Indica genetics, and who know whatelse.

"Legit" Indica's

Afghani
    Afghani #1
    etc...
    etc...

11. MAN this thread is so old it gets senior citizen discounts

I have OCD and anxiety and a bunch of other crazybucket crap. Being high helps me rationalize it all and sort shit out, and feel good enough to make some quick conscious changes (the other weekend I spend most of my time super high and I organized my room, it looks so different now) and does more for me than SSRIs do. really depends on how you use it, I think what matters most is the endorphin rush, makes all the anxiety fuck off for a while so you can finally make yourself productive...or just chill, either way it's all good :smoke:

12. Hey this is totally random I know and I'm not sure how quick this board moves so this topic may be dead, but I was looking up OCD and pot just now and found this thread.

Well um long story short: I used to love pot (I guess I still do haha I guess I always will) but I've been sober for a little over a year now because I have OCD. Well basically I just find it interesting so many of you find your OCD improves with pot! I'm not saying you're lying that just blows my mind away! haha but I realize drugs affect everyone differently. Well my story is pot kind of ruined my life inadvertantly with OCD. I started off with mild OCD which then took over my life. I ended up dropping out of high school because of my OCD and made various trips to various mental hospitals in the bay area. I recieved a Yale-Brown score of 35 (out of 40 of course) and was told by many psychiatrists my OCD would be nowhere near as bad if I never started smoking pot. I got sober at age 17 and my OCD improved after about 6 months but I was drinking which lead me back to pot. I started smoking something called shotties, not sure if these are very common anywhere, but it's cigarettes and pot in a bong. Well my OCD spun out of control and got worse than ever, scoring a 36 from various psychiatric evaluations. Having been sober for over a year now, I see that pot was definitely a main instigator in my hell. For those of you with severe OCD, you know how truly fucking horrific OCD is, it's literally being a prisoner/slave to some omniscient slavemaster that gives you literally no freedom. I was to the point where I didn't leave my room for 2 weeks, literally shitting and pissing in bottles (until I starved, no more food in my room) because I thought if I opened the door my dog would die. Well looking back I can't believe I let it get that bad.

Yet again drugs affect EVERYONE differently and I'm sure it does help some people, I'm just an envious fuck! Pot + OCD destroyed my life and stole about 3 years of my life from me (though 6 years of really terrible symptoms) and a year and a half later I'm still "recovering." Pot was literally like throwing gasoline on the fire for me. You lucky ones are truly lucky. I realize also that my case of OCD is also particularly severe and less severe cases probably don't have the horribly adverse reactions.

On a side note, I still call myself a stoner because well it's pretty much true even though I don't smoke pot. That and all my friends are stoners haha.

Much love people, your fellow OCD sufferer, Jake.

13. My OCD is alot better than it was. I think some of that has to do with pot, and some of it just "growing out" of some of my OCD. I can't really remember, but I think it was late middle school when it really flared up. I don't take any medicine anymore. When i'm high i can better ignore compulsions. It still gets me a little, but it's thankfully not so bad anymore.

14. like a lot of you have already said i had hella ocd stuff going on before i started smoking as well.
    esp. the night time ritual thing... id stay up for hours...
    i havent done ne of that stuff since i started smoking.
    i just dont give a fuck about it when im high =]

15. I have OCD really bad...Ive noticed that when i smoke my rituals go away and i can feel normal for once...My doctor wanted to put me on meds for my ocd but i didnt want to because weed does it for me. When i started smoking regularly I explained to my parents how it helps my ocd and they saw the difference it made with my ocd...Been good ever since.

16. I have very mild OCD. It ties into me being incredibly organized...to the point where if anything is out of place I start freaking. Weed has not changed this in any way.

17. I find weed does help with OCD quite a bit it makes me forget about the stupid routines and do stuff I usually wouldnt.

18. i as well have felt i have had depression and OCD since early childhood. this consisting of constant cheeking of things where i left them/where i want them, constant mental counting, social anxiety (fear of lacking control of the situation), perfectionist obsessions and a strong germ-phobia. although i always thought i just had organizational feelings and such. now 20 months since i first smoked pot, when i start it helped unbelievably, i was able to relax (things felt right and ates whereas sober i would spend my time controlling things if they were irrationally not feeling "right" in my mind), not care about stupid things which i knew were unimportant, help me prioritize and give me something to look forward to (something more important to obsess over, instead of stupid shit like where stuff is and such). it really gave me a feeling of freedom from my mind and its hold/control over the way i lived and the way i thought. when this was helping i was smoking usually very often for about 10 months till i stopped for personal reasons. now 9 months since i lasted toked frequently (used twice since stopping), ive been to several psychiatrist and diagnosed with OCD, anxiety and depression. although i feel that while using pot my OCD stopped but since i quit smoking it has increased more than the level before starting smoking, though not quite sure if the use and then decrease of pot use caused this or if its just increasing cause of other things happening in my life

on a side note i am curious what states have legalized medicinal marijuana for OCD related treatment (info bout ct in particular)?

lastly my psychiatrist wanted to put me on Zoloft but i wasnt sure so if anyone has any comments on its side effects and help it provides or any better legal meds id appreciate that info too

19. sorry i dont mean to double post but this is the only way for the thread to have a new post icon to get attention.

id just really appreciate any info on my questions above

20. Hey I just saw your question here after searching for OCD and marijuana related things and I first want to say that cannabis has been the best medication for me also but what I presume was Sativa strains just make it way worse and give me panic attacks. Indica is the only option for OCD from everyone I've heard. Joe feel free to try Zoloft but if your one of the percentage of people that has treatment resistant OCD like me then it won't do anything. Also please make sure if it doesn't work and your doctor wants to switch meds DO NOT under ANY circumstances take Effexor. I've been through 4 different anti-depressants for OCD and they either have the very slightest effect which is barely worth it or they do nothing and have insane side-effects and withdrawal symptoms *cough* EFFEXOR *cough* One guy on a website said that withdrawing from Effexor is worse than Heroin! Because it goes on for months and months, I can back that up, not the Heroin bit but the withdrawing taking what seems like FOREVER! I'm convinced they brought it out to keep people on it and paying because withdrawing is so god damned hard. Sorry about that rant but I'm firm on convincing every single person alive never to take that drug from hell.