Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Marinol and drug test ?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by unclejoe, Jun 30, 2009.

1. First off I know this is a med forum,,
    Mods ..I wasn't sure where to post this

I wanted to ask here because I gather a lot of MMJ patients check here..

My question is this..I am a newly designated MMJ patient and like a HUGE percentage of Americans , I am looking for work..
    If I have my doctor prescribe me Marinol would that cover me as far as a drug screen for preemployment ..

I know its a what if question but I cant believe that someone out there has come up positive on a drug screen and had a script for marinol.

just looking for opinions and what not..

yea I know most test can be bypassed one way or another..but I would rather not go through the bs of having to hide my use..

thanks and rep :wave:

2. Yes, unfortunately, from what I know.

Even though it's synthetic, there are still cannabinoids extracted from the plant.

3. yes, a fellow patient friend of mine works in the banking industry, he has a script for marinol JUST so that he doesn't fail drug tests. I don't believe he's actually ever filled it.

4. So a script for Marinol is or isn't a "get out of jail free card" for failing a drug test?

5. #5 Fungardner, Jul 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2009
    As long as you have a script from the Doctor employers have no justification to fire you because Marinol is legal. However if they do not select you for a job during a pre employment test you would probably never know it. I would disclose it on the form under "are you taking any medications?" Marinol will NOT show up the same as THC in people who smoke cannabis as it is a manmade drug derived from cannabis. For this very fact, when you are tested the lab/lab tech can denote the varience in Ph levels associated with Marinol users versues those of us who smoke it.

Peace,
    FG

6. There's no such thing as a "get out of jail free card" Ice Queen. It's completely dependent on your employer - however in my friend's situation, yes the Marinol prescription covers the drug test so that he doesn't get fired for being an MMJ patient.

7. What I'm asking is that since Marinol is a legal prescription drug and not marijuana, do employers generally accept it as a reason for failing a drug test? Or generally not? How much (obviously relative) job "protection" does one gain with a Marinol prescription (in the sense of being allowed to fail drug tests)? Significantly more than without, I would assume... enough to make it worth the trouble?

8. Marinol is the only accepted form of marijuana (even though it's synthetic[Which is most likely why it's legal, cause RX companies can make a profit]) througout the whole medical community. So a doctors recommendation, or whatever is stance enough to keep you from losing your job. No worries.

9. Generally, yes, employers will accept Marinol as a reason to fail a drug test. It is not very easy to get a prescription for it.

10. I was curious since someone was asking questions a while back about Marinol vs. Marijuana and employment drug tests. Didn't know the whole story on Marinol, so it's good to know the facts.

11. Again, generally. Each HR situation will be different.

Many companies won't even bother to test for MJ, it's pretty expensive.

12. No it will not show up. There are Cannabinoids in this pill but you forget that THC is fat soluble and that is what stays in your body. Marinol is synthetic THC. Synthetic Meaning synthesized (man made).

13. There are no other cannabinoids in Marinol, only THC and sesame oil.

14. No offence here but everyone is pretty much contradicting each other. :) I'm more confused now then before I read this thread. But toke up anyway! I know I am!
    Peace

15. From what I understand, a Marinol script WILL usually cover you. There is more than one type of urine test.

The one that is usually given is a "cheapy". It is a simple "Are there cannabinoids here?" test. If you have a prescription for Marinol, bring the pill bottle with you- just like you would if you had been prescribled oxycontins. Then the lab ignores, and does not report, a positive finding- just like they would do for any legally prescribed drug.

Now, if the boss orders the "deluxe" test, the lab can tell the difference between natural and synthetic THC. But most employers don't want to spring for the extra bucks!

Medicalmarijuana.tv had an article about it a while back, I picked it up about 5 years ago- you might try running medicalmarijuana.tv and marinol as search terms to see if you can find it. They explained the matter clearly.

If you want to know more about drug testing, there is a large section about it, in the MMJ Studies link in my sig.

Granny :wave:

16. The only way possible to tell is if there is some other substance in marinol that would show up on a GC/MS test.Soniq420 brings up an interesting point and I was not aware of any higher standard of testing for Marinol users.Oils can be absorbed through the skin and enter the bloodstream.Cannabis is detectable in the blood for approximately 2-3 days after use in an infrequent user.