Cloning using the Aerogarden (never been answered)

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by rndrumgd, May 30, 2009.

1. Hello everyone,
    I know the general consensus for the aerogarden: its a waste of money, too small for plants, so on. I however received mine for free as a gift and would like to put it to good use.
    That being said...
    I googled and searched forums for days, lots of people say they clone with 100% success rate, I want to know how.....

1. How long were the cuttings you were taking?
    2. Did you use any hormone?
    3. What settings did you use on the aerogarden?
    4. Did you use the supplied AG sponges, if so how far did you put the cutting inside it?
    5. Did you PH the water or use any additives?
    6. Any other special tricks?
    7. How long did it take?

Hopefully I can get some specific answers that will hopefully help others out too.
    Thanks,

-RN

2. i never used an aerogarden but with cloning the same procedure is used pretty much for every medium. There is a sticky on this in the advanced growing techniques forum.

3. I use an old aerogarden for cloning and it works very well. I follow the standard cloning protocol and cut below the 2nd node and then dip in some rooting powder. I reuse the plastic pods that come with the seed kits, and cut new sponge as I start a new batch of clones. I don't remember exactly what kind of sponge it was, but I bought it from a hardware store (not a hydro or specialty shop) and it has a similar quality to the sponges that come in the seed kits. I don't think the sponge type is critical, so long as the roots can grow through it.

So take your clone with the rooting powder and place it about halfway down into the pod, so that the clone can stand upright. I use plain water at pH 6.5 until roots form, then I switch to 25% strength grow ferts. I use Foxfarm, but other ferts probably work just as well. Roots form in 7 to 10 days.

My success rate is usually very high, like 90-100%, so I'm a big fan of the AG for cloning. I've even had some success establishing clones that were taken from a plant two weeks into flowering. After roots form I stick them in soil and continue to veg a bit before starting flower.

Hope this helps,
    BB

4. I followed similar steps but after about 5 days there was no visible sign of roots (or even the small pimples that form them) and the stem seemed to be soggy and almost rotting.

What there a particular setting that you used? I was thinking of switching to "Strawberry" because it has the least amount of wet time?

5. if you cut below the node. you have to cut again under water above yoru first cut. air imidiatly causes pores to close. root gel is better then powder imo but both can be used.

make sure you use a product such as "jumpstart" in the water it helps stimulate root growth. also if you use a product like bio-cat it will help cuz it adds good bacteria to the water reducingg algee or anything bad harming your roots.

6. I recut and shaved the stems underwater. I'll wait about a week and see if anything develops.

7. My setting is Tomatoes/Peppers, and the light cycle is 17/7 I think. What strain is it? Have you successfully cloned it before? My plants are mostly indicas, which I think are easier to clone than sativas. Also, 5 days seems a bit early, give them a bit more time. Good luck!

8. The strain is a Silver Haze/ Bubba Kush mix. I grew about 4 plants from seeds and keep one as the mother. I have not yet cloned it, should be an indica strain.

9. Did you try to clone after starting the flowering cycle? Moving from 12/12 back to 18/6 can stress your plant and cause problems with cloning. Having said that, I have to admit I've done it a few times. Not all the cuttings will root and sometimes the clones grow funky. Anyway, like one of the posters wrote, try cutting underwater to prevent air bubbles. Also be sure to get plenty of rooting hormone on there, and use all 7 spaces. I've had lots of success with the AG, and I'd bet you'll get it to work with a few more tries.

PS, that SSH/BK cross sounds like a great smoke!

10. Lets see if I can answer my own question:

1. How long were the cuttings you were taking? 2-3 inches
    2. Did you use any hormone? yes, clonex
    3. What settings did you use on the aerogarden? Peppers and Tomatoes
    4. Did you use the supplied AG sponges, if so how far did you put the cutting inside it? Yes, half way into the sponge
    5. Did you PH the water or use any additives? I did not do anything
    6. Any other special tricks? Cut below the 2nd node (2 sets of 2 leaves then the top) (I hope that's right)
    7. How long did it take? Waiting to find out...

-RN

11. This post is just what i was looking for, i am about to get started, how did it turn out, any more suggestions. Thanks

12. sorry to bump an old thread but I am trying this. Pictures in my journal (sig)

13. #13 canuck420, Mar 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2013
    i do it currently,
    i use a humidity dome and rockwool in a black trayx2 no need for heat mat, i keep the light about 14" away till i have strong roots, sitting a top the base with reservoir removed I fill the whole tray with per lite and clay pellets, people forget that roots dont grow in the light so to shade your rockwhol which is highly pourus speeds up your rooting time, roots grow towards water.dark, i dont even use the air, unless i plant to veg under it ,then it would be into the tray to provide extra o2 to roots, these got a bad rap but for what they are they actually work quite well, i actually used mine for herbs once and was shocked at its performance with tomato seeds,

this thread should be bumped as these are floating around for 50 bucks these days

14. Just got an aerogarden at the local goodwill for 15 dollars complete with all original nutrient packs and seed pods. Just took a cutting, scraped out the seeds from one of the

15. Pods. Soaked pod to get wet and scraped my tiny cutting near where the roots will form. Inserted pod, added water and nutrients and turned on. Used original nutrients that come with ag and also filled the other 6 places with herbs. Waiting on the results now.

16. #16 Buffalo11024, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2013
    1. How long were the cuttings you were taking?
    at least 3 leaf sets; 3-5". I make multiple cuts, under water, to each potential clone with a new sterilized xacto blade. I take two branches at the node. move below the cut nodes about 1/2" to 3/4" and make my angled cut. I make 1 really light cut vertically down the stem from the cut node to the angled cut. Then I start the cloning process.
    2. Did you use any hormone?
    cloning gel of multiple manufacturers. Most work pretty well.
    3. What settings did you use on the aerogarden?
    24 hr pump and light cycle. Its at the bottom of the page.
    AeroGarden | AeroGarden Customer Service & Support - How to set the light timers Indoor Garden, Seed Kit, Grow Light
    4. Did you use the supplied AG sponges, if so how far did you put the cutting inside it?
    No. I use root riot cubes
    5. Did you PH the water or use any additives?
    Ph set at 6.0. allow fluctuation to 6.5.
    6. Any other special tricks?
    I pull my water from a stable reservoir of filtered water(not RO).
    Give water time, 30 min to an hour after ph adjustment and test before application. I try to only drop ph no more than 0.3 every 12 hours if adjusting in AG reservoir.
    Mist 2-3 times a day with ph tested water. humidity dome not really necessary(I am in a dry climate and do not use one)
    Water changes twice a week over adding water to the AG reservoir(personal preference) would not go longer than a week.
    7. How long did it take?
    3-14 days.

17. Found an unknown enemy of clones. My cat decided that he liked to eat small plants. So my cloning adventure with the aerogarden was a bust. On a side note, they work well as a seed germinater. I used it next to normal aerogarden herbs and the only one that outperformed the seed was basil. I was able to transplant to soil after about 2 days. The picture is 3 days after transplant.

Attached Files:

18. Do you think an A/G 3 would work well for seed propagation?