does marijuana weaken your immune system?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Ryan7926, May 27, 2009.

1. Myth: Marijuana Use Impairs the Immune System. Marijuana users are at increased risk of infection, including HIV. AIDS patients are particularly vulnerable to marijuana's immunopathic effects because their immune systems are already suppressed.
    Fact: There is no evidence that marijuana users are more susceptible to infections than nonusers. Nor is there evidence that marijuana lowers users' resistance to sexually transmitted diseases. Early studies which showed decreased immune function in cells taken from marijuana users have since been disproved. Animals given extremely large doses of THC and exposed to a virus have higher rates of infection. Such studies have little relevance to humans. Even among people with existing immune disorders, such as AIDS, marijuana use appears to be relatively safe. However, the recent finding of an association between tobacco smoking and lung infection in AIDS patients warrants further research into possible harm from marijuana smoking in immune suppressed persons.

Myths and Facts About Marijuana

the truth:smoking:

2. #42 4Footer, May 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2009
    I agree with you. Marijuana has known to be the medicine that cures all. :)

Watch this video if you disagree with me..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjhT9282-Tw"]YouTube - RUN FROM THE CURE - The Rick Simpson Story (Part 1 of 7)[/ame]

3. Naw if anything boosts it, I havent been sick in 6 years.

4. I've always had a strong imune system. It went a little down after I started smoking cigs, but went back to normal after I started smoking marijuana regulary. I've only been ill once in the period I've smoked everyday, though it's only 7 months. A fever is very weird when you're high :smoking:

5. I've learned over time that smoking only makes a common cold last longer. Usually when i have a cold(which is next to never) i'll take a 2 or 3 day t-break :)

6. HAHAHAHA.
    Dude, you can't even make a sig without wording it wrong.
    both sides are sides ?
    wtf??

its basic knowledge that marijuana does/doesn't weaken your immune system?
    Man, where are you from? cuz i'd honestly like to move there.

what are things that were once considered false?

7. lol you guys are hilarious

i'm a little late, but yeah, smoking anything isnt good for your immune system

8. well thanks for responding everyone... I'm still not convinced either way. Personally i feel it makes me more sick but sooooo many people, like all my friends and shit, say they get less sick. i didn't read the last dudes sciency thing but it sounds legit... so still not sure, but thanks

9. I know that if I feel like I'm coming down with something and I smoke, I don't fully "catch" it, it just seems to be gone the next day. So I think for me it strengthens my immune system.

10. Ever since i started smoking weed i get really sick like every 2-3 months :(

11. There are cannabinoid receptors in immune cells, but the research has not shown any detrimental effect to immune function.*

Gee...do ya think maybe SMOKING (anything) might just not be smart when you're sick? ;)

Get a vape or eat edibles if you have any kind of upper respiratory ailment. While cannabis smoke is far more benign than tobacco it's still smoke and still contains soot, tar, and other irritiants.

*One or two studies has shown it can have a negative effect, but there are some others that show positive effects as well so the jury is out. Yet another reason to legalize so we can do real research.

12. +1 and +rep

LIVE ORGANIC:)

And I cannot believe Ronald Reagan actually said that. What a hypocritical fuck.

13. OH FUCK! That's why I never had dreams when I smoked. . .

14. your body has an endocannabinoid system which controls nearly everything, immune system, appetite, mood, metabolism, ect ect...

ingesting concentrated THC will improve your immune system and has also proven to cure cancer.

just smoking the buds by itself tho, will weaken your immune system aswell as other shit.

you know how you need the 3 essential fatty acids to survive????

what they dont tell you is that those 3 fatty acids break down into cannabinoids, so essentially we could be getting these more efficiently and effectively from extracting THC into a concentrate.

15. I'm really tired of people making such bold claims without proper double blind studies being done. I'm not saying you're wrong, and I tend to think your statement is more correct than not, but claiming it's a magical panacea is just unfounded.

As for 'curing cancer', cancer is actually many different diseases from different causes. There is some anecdotal and in vitro evidence that cannabinoids can inhibit certain types of tumor growth and even potentially kill certain cancers, but until proper studies are done making bold blanket claims like that is irresponsible.

That won't happen until we get full legalization and get the Government out of controlling who does what research with what strains and when.

16. idk about strengthening but i honestly feel like i get sick less when im smoking. i took a two week t-break and got a bad cough and cold the next day. that was my first time i was really sick since like high school

17. For what it's worth, anecdotal as it is, I rarely ever get sick. It's been many years since the last time I even had a cold, and I smoke quite a bit and have for a long time.

That really means nothing though. I also eat well and excercise.

18. I have a cold atm the last 3 days and have been smoking weed at night times and while I'm high it completely removes my cold symptoms and even when I'm not high my cold isn't that bad, however I'm doing resin tonight which is probably almost definitely a bad idea but wth I'm going for it. :smoking:

19. well for me weed makes my nose runny so in that sense it clears my sinuses.

but for certain bud it makes it stuffy

20. enjoying the debate!!!!!:smoking: