does marijuana weaken your immune system?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Ryan7926, May 27, 2009.

1. You broke my scroll bar. :p

Firstly, damn. Interesting too. I was just reading up on hemp oil after I read rhythm's post.

2. #22 Rhythm of Life, May 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2009
    Why did you leave out the conclusions of your quotes?

"6.0 CONCLUSIONS
    Hemp foods and bodycare products are among the healthiest substances that
    humans consume. In their essential fatty acids and proteins, hemp products
    provide the basic building blocks that our bodies use to construct cells and tissue for
    healthy and efficient functioning."

Hemp foods? Bodycare products? That is definitely not what we are speaking on...

Hell the most recent resource submitted in your "study" was nearly done a decade ago.

Leave the research to the professionals.

iMaven, you seem hard to convince so before you call bullshit on my relationship of Jack Herer and Rick Simpsons medical patient: [​IMG]

3. #23 iMaven, May 27, 2009
    Okay, and tell me what about their experiment being 9 years ago yields that is negative towards my argument? You can sit there and say its outdated, blahblah, or w/e you wanna say , but give me actual reasons, not concepts.

Okay... So what if the overall paper was about hemp foods and bodycare products??
    All the things I quoted pertained to what we were talking about.
    Your logic as how the conclusion maybe not concerning what we are talking about renders my research useless is flawed...

I fail to see how it does that?

I mean... practically all of the research i quoted was in the section concerning "THE TOXICOLOGY OF THC".
    What is THC?
    The active ingredient of marijuana.

What are we talking about ?
    Marijuana.

Do you have some logic to find a way in which those aren't significantly connected either?

4. Oh will you lookie here..

"Myth: Marijuana Damages the Immune System A variety of studies indicate that THC and other cannabinoids may exercise mild, reversible immuno-suppressive effects by inhibiting the activity of immune system cells know as lymphocytes (T- and B-cells) and macrophages. It is dubious whether these effects are of import to human health, since they are based mainly on theoretical laboratory and animal studies. According to a review by Dr. Leo Hollister:1 "The evidence [on immune suppression] has been contradictory and is more supportive of some degree of immunosuppression only when one considers in vitro studies. These have been seriously flawed by the very high concentrations of drug used to produce immunosuppression. The closer that experimental studies have been to actual clinical situations, the less compelling has been the evidence."
    The immune suppression issue was first raised in research by the notorious cannabophobe Dr. Gabriel Nahas, but a flurry of research by the Reagan administration failed to find anything alarming. The recent discovery of a cannabinoid receptor inside rat spleens, where immune cells reside, raises the likelihood that cannabinoids do exert some sort of influence on the immune system.2 It has even been suggested that these effects might be beneficial for patients with auto-immune diseases such as multiple sclerosis. Nevertheless, not a single case of marijuana-induced immune deficiency has ever been clinically or epidemiologically detected in humans.
    One exception is the lungs, where chronic pots smokers have been shown to suffer damage to the immune cells known as alveolar macrophages and other defense mechanisms.3 It is unclear how much of this damage is due to THC, as opposed to all of the other toxins that occur in smoke , many of which can be filtered out by waterpipes and other devices.4
    There is no reason to think marijuana is dangerous to AIDS patients. On the contrary, many AIDS patients report that marijuana helps avert the deadly "wasting syndrome" by stimulating appetite and reducing nausea. Cannabinoids do not actually damage the T-cells, which are depleted in HIV patients: one study even found that marijuana exposure increased T-cell counts in subjects (not AIDS patients) whose T-cell counts had been low.5 Epidemiological studies have found no relation between use of marijuana or other drugs and development of AIDS.6
    Footnotes
    1. Dr. Leo Hollister, "Marijuana and Immunity," Journal of Psychoactive Drugs 20(1): 3-8 (Jan/Mar 1988).

2. Sean Munro, Kerrie Thomas and Muna Abu-Shaar, "Molecular characterization of a peripheral receptor for cannabinoids," Nature 365:61-5 (Sept. 2, 1993); Leslie Iversen, "Medical Uses of Marijuana?", ibid. pp. 12-3.

3. D. Tashkin, "Is Frequent Marijuana Smoking Hazardous To Health,?" op. cit.
    4. Nicholas Cozzi, ibid.
    5. Donald Tashkin et al., "Cannabis 1977," Ann. Intern. Med. 89:539-49 (1978).
    6. Richard A Kaslow et al, "No Evidence for a Role of Alcohol or Other Psychoactive Drugs in Accelerating Immunodeficiency in HIV-1-Positive Individuals," JAMA 261:3424-9 (June 16, 1989)."

NORML's Marijuana Health Mythology - NORML

You better go update norml and tell them their research is out of date and therefore useless.

5. The world was once considered flat, but today we know it as round.

And to use a biased medium for information, you should know better than that.

6. Haha iMaven...you've just been owned.

7. Okay... So you're saying because we once believed the world was flast, and now know it as round, that research in the past decade or so should be discredited as useful?
    I mean i see the conceptual connection, but that is absolutely it.
    You're giving no scientific reasoning behind discrediting results that were reproduced more than once.

And i gave more than just that though.
    Thanks for only replying to 1/1001380 of my posts.

How was i owned...

8. Read my sig. Maybe it will help you understand. I can see where you are coming from and I understand your points but you are not willing to accept my own.

9. Idk, I haven't felt sick in a while or gotten a headache in like 2 months of getting high maybe at least once a day - 3 times a day, then take a day or so of a break.
    I don't think there is hard proof that it strengthens or weakens your immune system
    just enjoy your high and relax. IDK lol

10. I'm not being stubborn, if that is what you are basically saying.
    I just argue very aggressively and speak as if i'm right and the other is wrong.
    I'm willing to change what i believe at the drop of a pin.. just depends on how logical it is to me or valid or w/e.

And i'm PRETTY SRUE your sig does NOT make sense.
    read over it.

11. Can you accept the Earth as round? Do you accept cigarettes as bad?

If you can, what I have said should make perfect sense.

12. how does it?
    wow..

13. These are things once considered false by the scientific community. If you cannot accept that science evolves then you cannot accept my stance.

I am tired of bickering with you over basic knowledge that primary school children can accept, so I will leave you to your own thinking.

14. Marijuana does lower your immune system. That is why it is useful in the the treatment of RA and other similar diseases.

15. #35 josefxrebelious, May 27, 2009
    im sick right now
    lol

and ive been smoking the past 3 days

i sorta wanna quit smoking too cause i noticed that the days i do smoke, i end up eating alot of shit (my fault but i cant help it) and i feel like shit for the rest of the day.. like my stomach will feel all bloated and shit, then in the mornings i wake up and am always tired, i just feel like a walking wreck when i smoke, and feel that i should slow it down or not do it at all. it seems like im just wasting my money at this point if i cant even enjoy it.

16. a recent study that took place over a year showed it lowered it slightly. At the end of the day if you smoke anything your immune is going to lower..... has nothing to do with what it is wether weed or tabacco.... vaper that shit! will be easier on the lungs and better on the body/head

17. I dont know about in the long run if it damages you immune system, but it deffinitly prolongs your body recovering. I know smoking w/ a stuffy nose it ruins the process of clearing up your nose, But give me some nose spray and a pipe and im straight. Being high while sick is good, at least I think so, I completly forget im sick

18. Nobody has mentioned this yet, so I'm going to go out on a limb here:

What about the holistic effects? Some of you hold that science has an answer for every question, but lets put theology and skepticism aside. I am not the only one who believes that cannabis has holistic properties (physical, mental, and spiritual). The history of cannabis in the World is the only evidence I need to support my claim (since, admittedly it can never be proven scientifically). Nearly every culture and society to use cannabis for religious or medicinal purposes maintained a holistic view of it.

Anybody dare to agree with me?

19. To Rhythm of Life:
    Your sig repeats itself, and says "In true dialogue, both sides are sides are willing to change." It's just a typo, that's probably what he's talking about.

20. This is something I heard a long while ago, so if anyone knows it to be true feel free to elaborate. Supposedly smoking weed depletes vitamin c in your body, therefore indirectly affecting your immune system.