Gamma Ray burst gonna kill us all?

Discussion in 'General' started by jack herra, May 21, 2009.

1. In about three billion years our nearest neighbor the Andromeda Galaxy will collide with us anyways. If by some miracle that doesn't destroy the Solar System as we know it, a couple of billion years after that the Sun will swell to the point where it eats the Earth as it enters it's final phase of life.

Nothing lasts forever.

2. actually being out on the arm, the solar system may not even feel the effects of the merge, only if another star in the vastness of space comes very close, like beween the sun and the outer edges of the kupier belt would any effect be felt. in the dense centers there will be a lot more collisons. they will prolly merge without ant damage, the stars would be awsome at night, but thats about it. the solar system could be ejected form the galaxy and suffer no ill effects, the warmth from the star is still there, it will kjeep its planets etc. its not like 2 cars hitting, its more like 2 atoms passing, they rarely touch.

3. I didn't say it would destroy everything, but the pertubations are quite likely to cause problems, and if not that then there will be a LOT of these gamma ray events that we speak of as stars collide all over the place further in and even in our vicinity.

We're not completely out there; about 2/3 of the way out depending upon how one judges the 'edge'. It's not like we're on the galactic rim.

4. yes the gravity waves etc may have an effet, but gamma burst would not increase, as they are formed usually from a collapsing supernova. a star collison would not produce such a thing.

5. Sure they would. Once enough the Scwartzchild Mass is reached by stellar matter that's collided you get a Supernova.

6. There was no edivence that mars is like earth. I call that bullshit. One thing that I know is that mars is becoming like earth. There will be life. There already snow caps on north and south pole and it getting bigger. I bet there already life at mars, molecule/living species does not have to follow rules, it can shift or live whatever the planet offers.

7. what does the swartzchild mass hav eto do with supernovs, i though it was the theoretical mass when the gravity forms a black hole, therfore no escape velocity can be obtained, aka the gravity sucks in even light, now i am no astropyshicist, although i do know a few things, lol. but this deep convo for a weed board.

8. #48 oldskoolgrower, May 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2009

Mars was once warmer and wetter. It's not getting more like Earth; it's getting less like Earth. It lacks the gravity to sustain a long term atmosphere for one, and it's magnetic field is dead for all intents and purposes.

EDIT: I agree that there is a good chance there is relict life on Mars though, from when it was warmer and wetter and had a protective magnetic field. It's probably deep under the surface or buried under the polar caps.

9. 2012 is bullshit. The Mayans never said a word about the world ending or being close to the center of the galaxy or any of that shit. We are nowhere near the center of our galaxy.

10. PROOF?!? More closer to the sun, more warmer your planet is. commonsense.

11. The data is all there on the various JPL and NASA sites. There is a lot of evidence that Mars supported surface water in it's past; it's almost irrefutable at this point.

Hell you could find that out with five minutes in a good public library, let alone the NASA resources.

EDIT: BTW when you offer a theory that isn't well supported and contrary to facts as we know it, it's YOU who are supposed to provide proof, especially in something so well documented as this is now ;)

12. #52 wackdeafboy, May 21, 2009
    Yes I know. But I was pointing out that when planets are closer to the sun, it gets more warmer, the farther away from the sun, more cold it is. Commonsense.
    It just like sitting next to the fire. ;)

Edit: I'll keep supporting my false theory. :wave: lets see in 10,000 years. mmkay?

13. #53 oldskoolgrower, May 21, 2009

Yes I know what you meant, but that isn't germane to the discussion because Mars isn't moving closer to the Sun at any appreciable speed. Right now it's about .00007221 AU per century*. Aside from that, moving closer to the Sun won't increase it's gravitational field or give it back it's magnetic field. If anything it will just expose the surface to more deadly Solar radiation ;)

EDIT: The Earth is moving closer too at a rate of about .00000005 per century.

*That's what I have in my notes. I'm not sure if it's 100% accurate right now given current estimates but it's close.

14. The sun is going to explode before Earth ever reaches it anyway.

15. That was my point really about Mars. It's a miniscule amount of motion given the scales involved.

16. That is pretty interesting.

The Universe is so old it gives a new meaning to the word "ancient". It's weird to think about how insignificant our time here on this planet is compared to how old the Universe is.

17. If the current age of the Universe were a day in the life of a man on Earth, we have existed for less time than it takes for him to blink.

18. Agreed. Most people don't realize exactly how massive space is.

19. like i said its a THEORY that mars was once like earth.