Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Why solar hits are amazing...

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by recondite, May 17, 2009.

1. #121 recondite, Jan 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2011
    Wow, good to see this thread is still going! I haven't been smoking much since I got into vaporizing, but I happened to burn a solar bowl yesterday and it was just as nice as before. Yes it works in the winter, any time there's an undisturbed line of sight to the sun.

Maybe it isn't the end-all be-all way to smoke or most mind-blowing thing ever...and maybe I was a little stoned when I wrote the OP and did some embellishing (god it's so long), but I'd still much rather take a solar hit than use a lighter any day. It feels better.

As for any health benefits... no, it's definitely not as clean as vaping; you're still inhaling smoke, but I still think it's more efficient than using a lighter, and here's why. Even when you're smoking, I believe a lot of the THC that you inhale is vaporized from the green around the ignited cherry and does not come from the combusting weed itself. When you light a bowl, you create a heat source: the cherry. Heat is drawn from there as you take a hit, creating heated air that flows through the bowl, vaporizing cannabinoids from the surface of bud it flows past. Hence the more green available, the better -- charred, already-burnt mary jane isn't very rich in trichomes.

Weed burns at a temperature higher than the vaporization point of the cannabinoids it contains, and this is what allows these molecules to be released in the combustion process, however, temperatures significantly higher than vaporization points can destroy molecules, causing them to break down molecularly into non-psychoactives. I believe the flame of a butane lighter is about 1400F, while the vaporization points of most cannabinoids and terpenoids found in green are between 300 and 400F.

If my explanation isn't clear enough, try looking closely at what happens when you light a bowl. Look at the edge of the cherry and the green, see the smoke that comes from the green portion? That's the heat from the combustion releasing vapors from unburning green.

2. Now I would like to see how many stoners have burned themselves in the process....Flaming Thighs anyone??

3. yea man i was readin this thread yesterday and tryin to imagine doin it but all i could think of was me bursting in to flames :)

4. Naw, I'm pro. I knew all those years of melting army men and killing ants would come in handy someday. :cool:

5. there's no sun light in Scotland?!?! :eek:

6. i tried this last night and it didnt work out for me

7. It works best during the day. ; )

No, seriously... how didn't it work?

8. Just got done with a quick bowl on the roof. Windy as fuck so I decided to use the magnifying glass to my advantage. Wind was at least 20 mph and out of a tiny ass bowl I got 8 good hits. Fuck I really need to start doing this more I'm fucking stooooned.

9. I applaud you for managing to get off a roof while high. No way I could safely accomplish that.

10. Not gonna lie I was really sketched out. Almost pissed myself but I made it.

11. I always thought that the lighter´s gas really affects the final taste of great bud, will need to try this during the summer

12. Right, butane tastes like sheeeeeit! :mad:

13. Too many pages to read, however, I noticed some people saying they needed to wait till summer.. As long as there's directy sunlight it doesn't matter what the temp is outside, the focused beam will still burn over 550 degrees.

-Mark

14. i used this method for a solid 6 months of my toking career at one point cause i lived in a very secluded home that was perfect for smoking outside. we had hills, feilds, a wooded area it was great and at the end of the day we could smoke inside cause we all toked. but to the point for the day's we used solar hits (when it was sunny enough cause i do live in washington so its overcast a lot) its devoid of butane and super tasty.
    my friend actually burnt a circle on his phone. none of us have burnt ourselves but yea he burnt his phone it was super funny.

15. oh and a lot of places dont have a lot of sunny days not in summer. my solar puffing was done primarily in the spring and summer for that reason alone

16. hard to get the hang of....but if you got the time to do it, its something fun to try

17. [​IMG]Here it is. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJxkPLf64qo"]Solar Bong Hit At Kings Beach, Tahoe, Ca - YouTube[/ame] This thing works Great! [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIAFAVrTz2w"]Final Demo Vid - YouTube[/ame]