FDA says that "Cheerios" is bad for you.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by wackdeafboy, May 16, 2009.

1. Totally agreed, man!

2. pretty sure i said NOTHING like that

and no, there should be an FDA regulating what goes into foods, you can't have a society as big as ours without a lot of regulation

however, that doesn't mean i think that the FDA is doing a good job, numbnuts

3. It does have everything to do with cheerios making health claims. General Mills made claims that their product will "treat and/or cure" a specific illness or disease which is how the FDA classifies a drug. The result will be that General Mills will change their advertising, not try to qualify as a pharmaceutical. General Mills should know the difference between a food and a drug, so this was a clear error on their part.

The government really does not regulate food, cosmetics and herbal supplements that closely. The FDA is understaffed and underfunded and those industries are all essentially self-policed. For every General Mills that gets a bitch slap from the FDA, there are literally THOUSANDS of small companies operating in the free market and getting away with making ludacris claims about their products.

It's obvious in the quality of our food supply that there is very little actual regulation going on.

4. This is so true.

I remember watching the Monsanto video that detailed a very active revolving door of high ranking officials going from Monsanto to the FDA and then back to Monsanto, a whole long list of people.

5. Water is a classifed as a drug too.

This whole thing is non-sense. We need to beware whats going on with FDA and codex A.

6. Water is not classified as a drug.

7. Everything is a drug according to FDA. ;)

8. People really seem to be blowing this whole thing out of proportion.
    If you(cheerios) don't want to be classified as a drug(like toothpaste and asprin) then you shouldn't advertise your product as such.
    Change the advertisement or suck it up, simple.
    :bongin:

9. I fail to see the connection between GM saying Cheerios can help lower your cholestrol and the FDA saying that classifies it as a drug. Doesn't it make sense that by not eating, say, 9 eggs for breakfast, and instead eating Cheerios, that your cholestrol would more than likely drop? How the hell does this make it a drug? And before I go any further, WHO GIVES A FUCK??? It's processed wheat turned into delicious little O's. I really don't see how people can get their panties in a wad over such a minisucle thing.

I'm suing Captain Crunch because his cereal is rough on the roof of my mouth.

10. The government is made up of people. What fucking magic do these people have?

Let me tell you something that most of us seemed to have forgotten; we are people, too.

Apparently everyone want a cereal that doesn't mislabel itself. I bet some crafty individual would come along and say, "Well, I would have a larger market to sell to if I labeled my products properly!" And he would be right, and make a fucking killing. If he didn't make a fucking killing he would have fucking failed, and it would be shown that the people really don't want a cereal with a proper label. But this entire scenario is based off of one thing, THE FREE MARKET.

With government, the anti-free market, we see no such patterns. We see patterns of corruption, evil, coercion, and bribery. Even if all of them were properly elected officials with the health of the country in mind we would be lost. We can only have freedom if we want to achieve our dreams of properly marked cereal boxes.

I guess it comes down to this question: Can lying to your market audience really be truly beneficial to you as a business owner? If you think that yes, it can, then you are fucking retarded and need to be shot. If anyone questions this, I will first point at you, then laugh at you, then show you why you're wrong. I'm not going to say that many business owners aren't retarded, because many business owners do this kind of thing all of the time, but do they really benefit?

11. fuck that.
    cheerios rock.

and i didnt say that!

12. Because saying something will lower your cholesterol is a drug claim. How is that confusing? It's all in how they word it. They aren't saying "cheerios are healthier then eating 9 eggs", they are saying that Cheerios will treat or cure a disease.

I give a fuck, because these regulations prevent any company from making any claim they want.

I have a really good friend who owns a bath and body care company, so she is also regulated by the FDA in almost the same way as food companies. She only has one employee, so she does almost everything herself. She pays a lawyer several thousand dollars every year to go over her marketing materials and to make sure she is not making any medical claims that will get her in to trouble with the FDA.

If that miniscule business has the resources to make sure they aren't breaking any laws, then of course General Mills has those resources available to them as well. But yet, they still went ahead with this marketing campaign. This was not an accident, so why did they do it?

Because the money to be made from this campaign outweighs the fines they'll have to pay. They've gotten away with this "lowers cholesterol" campaign for years now. I'm sure it has been profitable for them.

Food companies (as well as cosmetic companies) have pretty easy guidelines to follow... most of it is in regard to labeling. They can't make medical claims, they have to list the ingredients and nutritional information, and they have to provide the net weight.

So, to those of you defending General Mills, let me ask you this: If they deliberately broke FDA regulations regarding label claims, what other regulations are they deliberately breaking? Are they correctly labeling their ingredients? Are they giving correct nutritional information?

This calls into question every other product label that GM produces. And this is why I don't eat food from a box. The FDA is useless, and if you really think you can rely on manufacturers to accurately tell you what's inside, you're crazy.

Exactly. People here like to preach on about "personal responsibility" yet when General Mills is clearly in the wrong, people want to blame the FDA. :rolleyes: