Advanced Nutrients... worth it?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Gr33n_Cr0nIc, May 6, 2009.

1. How many times do we have to go over this. I have been growing since 1979, I have grown indoors, outdoors, and in greenhouses. I have used everything from MG to Dutchmasters. Here is the bottom line:

As long as you your soil mixutre is good, your ph is in line, and you do not over water and/or overfeed, pretty much all nutes will work just fine and produce the same results. If you have the basics down it really does not matter what brand of nutes are used as long as the plants are getting what they need in primary and secondary nutes. I am using TechnaFlora at the moment and I really do not see any difference in the results.

Every grower has their favorites, and most are based on what brand gave them their most successful grow, however, they do not factor in that maybe after a few grows experienced played more of a role than what was used for nutes. Once you get a strain dialed in, and get a few grows under your belt, you realize that as long as all the basics are in line, different brand sof nutes make little if any difference. As with anything, as long as it is used properly it will give you the desired results.

less

2. Ex-fucking-actly. +Rep. When I bought my light from the hydro store, I said I was upgrading from fluoros and the guy made sure I left with a handful of additives. He even handed me a bottle of KoolBloom as I was leaving. Smart man. He knew what a difference the HPS would make and he knew after my first yield with everything I had that it would be a while before I "risked" using less.

HR - just - wow:eek:

3. if you are a new grower and want a forgiving nutrient line the Botanicare stuff can't be beat. I have watched 7.5 ph tap water level out to 6.5 once th PBP and LK are added. It works wonders when used right and not as expensive as AN. If you ask me a company that needs to advertise that much is just probably selling snake oils. A company with good product can sell it without all the flashy advertisement. It will speak for itself and word of mouth is the best advertisement of all.

4. on youtube i seen a video where 5 different nutes were used in each flowering room with same strain same conditions ect and u will see a differents in what nutes are better and yeild more i will try and find the link

5. Do you think that if you gave these growers 5 different brands of nutrients to use... that they would get the same results as they did below? Doubt it.

[​IMG]

Disclaimer: This is not an argument to say that Advanced Nutrients, or any brand for that matter, is better than any other... only to say that nutrient products are not all created equally.

To those that say "Nitrogen is Nitrogen" no matter what bottle it comes in, I suggest you read the following excerpt.

Companies use varying combinations and quantities of these different Nitrogen compounds (along with other elements like phosphorus, potassium, etc...). Can this effect the outcome of your grow? Of course... an obvious example would be trying to use organic nutrients in a DWC setup. It's a headache and just isn't as efficient as using inorganic, plant soluble or chelated nutrients. So in this scenario (DWC Bubble Buckets)... AN's or GH's 3 part would be better than say BioBizz grow/bloom organic... right?

6. Good read Smoove.:hello:

7. I am going to start growing soon and am wondering if Hesi fertilizers are good??? I wa thinking about buying the 88$ starter pack

8. Smoove - concerning organic vs inorganic:
    (from Ask Lucas - Cannabis-World)
    I can't speak for biobizz but it should fall into one of those two categories. If it's the latter then, yes, you'd need a little extra work (and a source of beneficial bacteria) to use it in DWC. What needs to happen to the nitrogen before the plant can absorb it seems really academic, though. The plant doesn't care whether or not it's nitrogen has been broken down a few minutes ago or mined, as long as it can absorb what it needs. There is no nitrogen cycle for hydro; there should be no fish or animals pooping in your res.

Let me turn your hypothetical around on you, Smoove. How many OTHER growers can get similar results with the same nutes these guys are using? How much of a difference do you really think it can possibly make?
    Let's say, in an extreme hypothetical, that using different nutes somehow resulted in 20% less yield. If those plants were only 80% as big, they'd still be the biggest fucking cabbages(?) I'd ever seen and there's no reason to believe nutes could make NEARLY that big of a difference. Now imagine you or I grew a cabbage that was 20% larger than average with those nutes. Still tiny compared to what they have. It's pretty obvious (to me) that environment and grower skill had far more to contribute to the sizes of those plants.

I think Lucas says it well:
    Someone needs to do a double-blind study with stable clones and identical controlled environments, wherein the grower gives his best attention to all the plants and an assitant handles nutes in the reservoirs and neither knows which is associated with which until the end of the grow. Until someone does this, I will never be convinced spending more money on particular nutes and additives will be worth it. Let's say someone does do this and I find out that $150 of AN products yield 5% more than the next best thing. I could setup a modest CO2 system for that and see more than a 5% increase over the same time period. And again, there's no empirical evidence to suggest it would even make a 5% difference.

In the same thread, ntstephenson makes an excellent point about the benefits of using a proven nute recipe, rather than mixing and matching the most tempting products from an entire line that only HerbalRemedies can afford:
    In my own words: when you use a simple, proven nute recipe and something goes wrong with your grow, you only need to diagnose environment. Otherwise if you have a problem, have fun spending lots of time figuring out if it's environment or nutes. Have even more fun over at the sick plants threads trying to figure out exactly which deficiency / lockout you might have. I've done it. I'm done w/ it.

9. Yes, I would like to see this, and also see what nute company financed the vid. After growing 10 or so IBL's, and over 40 different strains using all kinds of nutes from organic to commercial farming nutes, I have yet to notice any difference worth mentioning in my grows. Strain determines potency and yield, how it is grown only determines how close you can get to the strain producing it's perfect quota for both. I do not care how many videos companies put out or pay growers to put out, my experience has told me otherwise and continues to as I keep growing and breeding.

I will agree with the following statement:

They are a great line of nutes for beginners.

The only aspects of them not being created equally is in concentration and secondary nute contents. Dutchmasters is great stuff, however you will use twice a much as say Botanicare or Ionic due to it not being very concentrated. Some possess some secondary nutes, others prefer to only make secondary nutes available by buying more products which contain the required nutes.

I use a basic 3 part nute regime and the only additives I use are Cal/Mag plus by botanicare, and some Molasses. My yields are inline w/ the given results by the breeder, and my potency is very high, most of my flowers are one hit wonders w/ the exception of some of my IBL's.

Regardless, this debate will go on and on and people will always want to argue with those that know better. Same goes for seeds, everyone has their hyped up fav but in all honesty, there are only 4-6 true breeders left that care about the quality of their genetics, and 2 work for one place and another 2 work for another, as for the rest, they are all hype adverts, glory hounds, and about money over the quality of genetics. In all honesty, some of the best genetics are not even comming ffrom seed banks, they are comming from hobby breeders that care aobut what they are producing.

less

10. I agree with your rhetoric completely and I get your point. My post wasn't intending to dissuade simplicity or to promote the use of any particular nutrient brand or additive. In a sentence, I think what I was trying to say is that different growing environments can benefit from specific nutrient compositions which can vary from company to company.

11. OK guys, well i heard alot about Voodoo Juice so i went and got some of that and Pirana... Well ive been using the same strain for a year now and all my plants are about the same each year....

well i added the Voodoo Juice and Pirana and my roots littrerly got 10x bigger this year... the growth is out of control... Im expecting about 2 oz of each plant this harvest due to these 2 products no joke. :hello:

12. From what I have read, the 'Nutrient Challange' was funded by AN.. so is it really a surprise that AN 'takes the prize' ? Just nutrients for thought! ;)

WhoBe

13. ftw !

14. 2oz off one plant with high dollar nutes >? what part am I missing here, or you mean 2 extra oz per plant? lol Cause well I can grow a plant in the worst damn store bought soil possible and get 2 oz :smoking:

15. yeah thats what i meant 2 extra oz off each plant dried. i can pull 3-5 oz any day, but just using some of the nutrients voodoo juice, piranha, monkey juice for grow. my 5 gallon bucket is filled with roots and drinks about a gallon of nutrient mix in a couple days. the roots are so big i had to stop using voodoo juice cause i dont have enough room for nutrient mix almost. i am going to test the difference in the bloom enhancers now that i am in flower phase so ill let you know.