Do Vegging Plants Need Any Dark Time?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Drakeroberts, Apr 21, 2009.

1. its a really good book actually.

I was sure your name was a reference to it. oh well

2. One of my favorites, right up there with the Foundation trilogy and the Dune saga, imo.

3. maybe one day, youll come across the book my name is in LMAO.

youre on the right track it sounds.

4. LOL. Actually, you guys had it right the first time.. Enders game is a great book, and its exactly where i adopted the name from... But when you said "enders just a filthy 3rd" i didnt relate it to the book, cuz we were on the topic of weed not books heh. So i just didnt make the connection. But anyway, i agree - great book. They even made a movie out of it.

5. If you had read the book you would have understood the "3rd" reference immediately.

6. You guys are ruining this thread with this prattle. Someone do some research and post it , for Christ's sake.

I have Ed Rosenthal's "Marijuana Grower's handbook," and it strangely omits this precise question, although on page 141, as the caption to a photo of a fluorescent tube, "These lights were used to prevent flowering of seedlings in early spring. They were left on 24 hours a day, supplementing the weak daylight and eliminating the night cycle."

I'll just stand aside now and wait for authority with sources to guide us.

7. I dont have any pimples but a lot of white socks. All I can testify about is what I have theorized from having done it. The vegging plants need a rest period in the dark. Applies also to fresh clones. Have tried it both ways. 24 hrs under the lights drys them out too much and they eat twice as much etc. Lot of cons on the pro vs con argument. If there is some pros aint found them yet. Sure it help somebody in the business who needs a quick turnaround perhaps. I dont have them kinda issues.

Goober

8. if you didnt enjoy our "prattle," then why did you choose to revive a 6 month-dead thread??

that seems like your bad, mr wood.

9. What would happen if a plant is already in the 16 days in to flowering stage, and the photoperiod is increased to 11hours dark and 13 hours light. Would it revert to the vegative stage or continue flowering?

10. that depends more on the specific plant/strain than anything. some will probably vegetate, some will flower without any visible change, and some may just get confused/stressed.

11. not exactly. i read "Ender's game" and didnt get it untill you mentioned the book.

back to the topic of the thread, how short of a dark period would prove useless? can you use a 23 hour or 25 hour light schedule to boost some sort of aspect of the cannabis plant?

12. Back in April a fascinating bit of information was posted here. I am trying to track down growers with experience in alternate day-cycles. With the photoperiod described below it is theoretically possible to achieve the same yield in 25% less time (harvest in 6 weeks instead of 8 weeks) after 56 11.5 -12 hour "day periods" and 56 6 hour "nights periods".

There are two posts at Effects of different photoperiods on flowering. - International Cannagraphic Magazine Forums from Blckbrd, dated 01-31-2010 and 02-03-2010, describing a 7 on/12 off flowering cycle. He says: " I flower them on the 7/12 and the product is as good quality and weight-wise as when running the 12/12... I really do it to just speed up the harvest time." 24%!

Anyone out there with relevant information about these advanced techniques? I am set to receive email directly, please include JewBilly in Subject line so I can separate from Junk mail.

Thanks, compañerros....

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

13. my vote goes with smoove this guy really knows his stuff..

14. working with auto kush right now(only a few weeks into a deep water run)But all auto strains are suppose bud under 24/.I run 18/6 just to rest the ballast.

15. your plants will be much happier with some rest. i have a degree in molecular biology and chemistry...but that has nothing to do with it. there are things that happen at night that are important, very important. plants are a living life form, not some machine. yes they will grow in 24/0....sure. but trust me when I say I know for a fact, because years ago I tried it, they like some darkness, if only 3 or 4 hours even. however, if you want to control stretching, keep your temps slightly higher at night for the first 2 weeks, and walk your timers down....3 hours darkness....4 hours.....5 hours.....all the way to 12. 0 stretch over a 14 day walk down with temps the same or slightly higher. and remember, humidity is your friend. 50% minimum. all the way.

16. #56 Rumpleforeskin, Jan 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2011
    I was a hard core 18/6 grower for years. I never even heard of anyone growing without a dark cycle until Advanced Nutrients (owner Big Mike) came on the Urban Grower Grow Show and said they get 30% more growth from a 24/0 light cycle. I was still not willing to try such an un-natural illogical method that seemed so wrong, but it got me thinking about it. Ed Rosenthal came out with the same conclusions on this matter a few months later. Ok, I held my nose and tried.

It seemed pretty easy for me to prove this one out. I have veg down to the day to get my target harvest height (4.5 feet) while filling 75% of my screen. I grow the same plant from the same mother in the same setup for years (still do). I debunked a few grow myths using patient measuring and branch counting in a grow journal.

I did not trust the results after the first cycle. My plants grew past my target and I hit my room limit and burnt a few tops. So I reduced my veg 30%. I hit my target within a few inches. Still did not trust the results.... Again I hit the target harvest height in less days.
    Say it's not so.... Can't be true.... Damn I have to accept my results and change sides on this issue (was not easy for me).

I now veg using no dark cycle (24/0). I veg less days so I don't use more power then before. I don't agree with folks who say you save money with the 18/6 light cycle. It came out the same for me.

The advantage to 24/0 light cycle in my opinion is: You Harvest Sooner.

The advantage to 18/6 light cycle in my opinion is: You can avoid the heat of the day and not having to cycle ventilation during peek traffic around your grow room.

Disclaimer: I have had plants not hit the target harvest height due to cold snaps and over heating. So the science is based on an average over the years.

17. ...so which one would you recomend:rolleyes:

18. I would recommend 24/0 after reading up on photosynthesis and the importance of a darkness period. Simply during photosynthesis the plant is creating glucose using water and CO2, food that it is both using and storing. During light periods the plant is both photosynthesizing and respiring, the respiration process uses energy. When the plant enters a dark period it stops photosynthesis but keeps respiring, respiration involves breaking down glucose and using energy reserves to keep the plant alive. In darkness the plant is less efficient as it is focusing on staying alive and conserving energy.

It defies logic that the plant would actually put more energy into growth at night as it is in a low energy state. You can check out photosynthesis and respiration through Google, there's plenty of resources.

I didn't read up on how dark periods affect root growth, one of the waste products of respiration is water though so it would seem odd that the plant would feel the need to increase root growth.

19. i gotta go with smoove on this one... depending on the state of growth. plants can survive and thrive on 24 hours of light. but during photoperiod cycles i have seen a higher yield from making the ladies ''sleep''

20. I heard that during lights on the plant focuses its growth on the leafs and buds - basically everything above ground. During lights off is when the plant focuses its energy into root growth.

And if you want a strong, healthy, high yielding plant you need a big, strong, root system. The comparison can be made to hair. Hair starts at the scalp. Sure you can use all the conditioners you want or what have you, but for truly beautiful hair you must understand where the hair grows form and where it gets its energy, the scalp. Substitute scalp for roots and hair for plants.

Take what you will from that, but I believe in at least a small dark period.